Home | About Us | The Committee | Contact Us

Old St James St

St. James street, circa 1892. The narrow street was hemmed in by buildings. On the left was Cowgill and Smith (ironmonger), Slaterís (boots), Kippax (woollen), Harkerís ironmonger (makers of washing possers) and Robert Munnís (chemist and registrar). The street was widened in 1905 with the demolition of some of these buildings. The broadest point was then opposite the Boot Inn (behind the bollard) giving a clear view from Manchester Road to Yorkshire street.

Image Source = Kris Baxter
The Briercliffe Society © 2007-2020. All Rights Reserved.