Home | About Us | The Committee | Contact Us

Carlton Road School

Carlton Road school (Grant’s school), c. 1890. The school was founded by William Milner Grant in 1861. William was probably one of the most influential teachers of his time and many of the town’s leading figures attended here. Shortly after William’s death in 1888, former students founded a scholarship to the Grammar School which was open to all public elementary schools in the town. A plaque recording this hung for many years in Room One of the Grammar School. William’s headstone in St. Peter’s churchyard was also erected by old scholars “in token of their appreciation of his earnest teaching, fatherly counsel and noble example”. The school closed in 1901 and was demolished soon after. At a reunion, former pupils recalled the moral as well as academic teaching with the “abhorrence of wrongdoing, firm adherence to the truth”. Hence the school motto, Recte Agere Aude (dare to do what is right).

Image Source = Kris Baxter
The Briercliffe Society © 2007-2017. All Rights Reserved.