Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:07 am 
Willfinder General

30 October 1915
DUTY DONE NOBLY.
BURNLEY BANDSMAN’S DEATH.
Mr. Greenwood, of 5, Hull-street, Burnley received official intimation on Wednesday that his son, Bandsman Harold Greenwood (1987), of the 1/5th East Lancashire Regiment, had died through illness at St. David’s Hospital, Malta. Relations at Huddersfield had previously heard of the sad event from a sister at the hospital, and this letter has been sent on to Mr. Greenwood. The letter, which is dated October 17, read:-
“I am afraid that long before you get this letter from me you will have got the notice of the death of your brother. I feel I must write you a line to tell you about it. I think he must have had a very hard time in the Peninsula, as he was so very ill with enteric fever when he came to us. He was such a good patient, but very wasted, and gradually sank from exhaustion. Everything that could be done for him was done, and he has done his duty so nobly for all of us, even to the extent of giving up his life. It is such a privilege and pleasure to be able to help and nurse our brave boys. Please accept my deepest sympathy with you in your great trouble. – H. M. Lloyd, sister.”
Bandsman Greenwood, who was 24 years of age, was before the war a clerk at Messrs. Masseys Brewery. He had been in the Territorials about six years. He was engaged to Miss Kathleen Murphy, youngest daughter of Mr. John Murphy, of 40, Bread-street, Burnley, an old official of the Weavers’ Association, and they should have been married in September of last year, but the regiment was sent to Egypt.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_det ... lty=115272