Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:23 pm 
Willfinder General

Marriages Mar 1908
LEAVER Nanny – Burnley, 8e, 475
WILES Thomas – Burnley, 8e, 475

1918 – LEAVER John of 2 Cross street, Harle Syke near Burnley died 13 May 1918. Administration (with Will) London 31 July to Nanny Wiles (wife of Thomas Wiles). Effects £1,747 3s. 8d.

1901 Census - RG13; Piece: 3868; Folio: 69; Page: 49
2 Cross street, Briercliffe
John Leaver, Head, Mar, 52yrs, Building Inspector, b. Briercliffe
Ann Leaver, Wife, Mar, 51yrs, b. Briercliffe
Nanny Leaver, Daughter, Spinster, 24yrs, Cotton Weaver, b. Briercliffe
Mary Duerden, Boarder, Widow, 54yrs, Cotton Weaver, b. Briercliffe

1891 Census - RG12; Piece: 3371; Folio 161; Page 41
2 Queen street, Briercliffe with Extwistle
John Leaver, Head, Mar, 42yrs, Stone Mason, b. Briercliffe
Ann Leaver, Wife, 41yrs, b. Briercliffe
Thomas Leaver, Son, 17yrs, Apprentice stone mason, b. Briercliffe
Nanny Leaver, Daughter, 14yrs, Cotton Weaver, b. Briercliffe
Mary Duerden, Boarder, Widow, 44yrs, Cotton Weaver, b. Briercliffe

1881 Census - RG11; Piece: 4155; Folio: 69; Page: 26
Haggate, Briercliffe
John Leaver, Head, Mar, 32yrs, Stone Mason, b. Briercliffe
Ann Leaver, Wife, 32yrs, Housekeeper, b. Briercliffe
Thomas Leaver, Son, 7yrs, Scholar, b. Briercliffe
Nanny Leaver, Daughter, 4yrs, Scholar, b. Briercliffe
Fred Leaver, Son, 7months, b. Briercliffe

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/ThO ... broker.htm

Jack O'Nancy's (Leaver)
During his later years was a director at Queen Street Mill. In his younger days had some position of authority in the building of the Culvert Bridge in Yorkshire Street.

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/ThO ... 0Caleb.htm

…The other was from Mrs Christine Williamson, of Great Yarmouth, who claims Jack O'Nancy's as her great grandfather.
Letters like these are a great reward and appreciation of what I have written - I have a box full of them. I will give you some extracts from the letter.
"My aunt, who was Isabella Wiles, from your village, sent the cutting to my mother and said he (Jack O'Nancy's) is your grandfather. He was a building inspector, and was always very smart going to work. He wore a navy blue suit - shoes shined until you could see yourself in them."
Isabella's sister, Mary, married James Walsh, of Princess Street, Nelson, and they moved to Taunton and then Lowestoft, where he completed his career as Borough Treasurer. Mary was granddaughter of Jack O'Nancy's.
They had a son, Peter Thomas Walsh, who was awarded a PhD. and is now lecturing in geology in the Civil Engineering Department of City University, London - a not-too-distant step from the building of bridges in Yorkshire Street.
Jack O'Nancy's great granddaughter, who wrote this letter, is a teacher in Great Yarmouth and has two daughters who have the middle name of Leaver. One of his great great grandsons attended Haberdashers public school in London.
The two sisters, Isabella and Mary, were both educated at Haggate and both were afterwards employed at Queen Street. I can see the imprint of Jack O'Nancy's in his great grandson - a great tribute to a Lancashire beginning.

Births September 1914
WILES, John E. (Mum’s maiden name is Leaver) – Burnley, 8e, 306

Births September 1909
WILES Mary Ann – Burnley, 8e, 163

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:56 pm 
Spider Lady

Leaver wrote:
Marriages Mar 1908
LEAVER Nanny – Burnley, 8e, 475
WILES Thomas – Burnley, 8e, 475

1918 – LEAVER John of 2 Cross street, Harle Syke near Burnley died 13 May 1918. Administration (with Will) London 31 July to Nanny Wiles (wife of Thomas Wiles). Effects £1,747 3s. 8d.

1901 Census - RG13; Piece: 3868; Folio: 69; Page: 49
2 Cross street, Briercliffe
John Leaver, Head, Mar, 52yrs, Building Inspector, b. Briercliffe
Ann Leaver, Wife, Mar, 51yrs, b. Briercliffe
Nanny Leaver, Daughter, Spinster, 24yrs, Cotton Weaver, b. Briercliffe
Mary Duerden, Boarder, Widow, 54yrs, Cotton Weaver, b. Briercliffe

1891 Census - RG12; Piece: 3371; Folio 161; Page 41
2 Queen street, Briercliffe with Extwistle
John Leaver, Head, Mar, 42yrs, Stone Mason, b. Briercliffe
Ann Leaver, Wife, 41yrs, b. Briercliffe
Thomas Leaver, Son, 17yrs, Apprentice stone mason, b. Briercliffe
Nanny Leaver, Daughter, 14yrs, Cotton Weaver, b. Briercliffe
Mary Duerden, Boarder, Widow, 44yrs, Cotton Weaver, b. Briercliffe

1881 Census - RG11; Piece: 4155; Folio: 69; Page: 26
Haggate, Briercliffe
John Leaver, Head, Mar, 32yrs, Stone Mason, b. Briercliffe
Ann Leaver, Wife, 32yrs, Housekeeper, b. Briercliffe
Thomas Leaver, Son, 7yrs, Scholar, b. Briercliffe
Nanny Leaver, Daughter, 4yrs, Scholar, b. Briercliffe
Fred Leaver, Son, 7months, b. Briercliffe

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/ThO ... broker.htm

Jack O'Nancy's (Leaver)
During his later years was a director at Queen Street Mill. In his younger days had some position of authority in the building of the Culvert Bridge in Yorkshire Street.

http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/ThO ... 0Caleb.htm

…The other was from Mrs Christine Williamson, of Great Yarmouth, who claims Jack O'Nancy's as her great grandfather.
Letters like these are a great reward and appreciation of what I have written - I have a box full of them. I will give you some extracts from the letter.
"My aunt, who was Isabella Wiles, from your village, sent the cutting to my mother and said he (Jack O'Nancy's) is your grandfather. He was a building inspector, and was always very smart going to work. He wore a navy blue suit - shoes shined until you could see yourself in them."
Isabella's sister, Mary, married James Walsh, of Princess Street, Nelson, and they moved to Taunton and then Lowestoft, where he completed his career as Borough Treasurer. Mary was granddaughter of Jack O'Nancy's.
They had a son, Peter Thomas Walsh, who was awarded a PhD. and is now lecturing in geology in the Civil Engineering Department of City University, London - a not-too-distant step from the building of bridges in Yorkshire Street.
Jack O'Nancy's great granddaughter, who wrote this letter, is a teacher in Great Yarmouth and has two daughters who have the middle name of Leaver. One of his great great grandsons attended Haberdashers public school in London.
The two sisters, Isabella and Mary, were both educated at Haggate and both were afterwards employed at Queen Street. I can see the imprint of Jack O'Nancy's in his great grandson - a great tribute to a Lancashire beginning.

Births September 1914
WILES, John E. (Mum’s maiden name is Leaver) – Burnley, 8e, 306

Births September 1909
WILES Mary Ann – Burnley, 8e, 163

Thomas Wiles was a widower when he married Nanny Leaver. His first wife was Betsy Driver who died in 1906. Isabella was the only child (that I have found) of Thomas's first marriage.
Betsy was the daughter of William Driver and Nancy Sutcliffe. (Nancy Sutcliffe was the daughter of Henry Sutcliffe and Sarah Stuttard)

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!