Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TAYLOR
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:04 pm 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express and News, March 13, 1940 (pg. 8
WHIRLED ROUND MILL SHAFTING
HARLE SYKE ENGINEER’S TERRIBLE DEATH
Harle Syke residents were shocked by the death under tragic circumstances last Saturday morning of Mr. Fred Taylor (51), 13 Cobden street, one of the best known and highly respected business men in the district.
Carrying out repairs to the hoist shaft at the mill of Messrs. J. Thornton and Co., he slipped from a plank and was whirled round a revolving shafting, receiving terrible injuries which were instantly fatal.
Mr. Taylor, a member of a prominent Harle Syke family, was a son of the late Mr. John Taylor, who in 1882 started in business as blacksmith and engineer, a business which later developed and branched out also into motor engineering. On leaving school he went into his father’s business and acquired a thorough knowledge, which resulted in his services frequently being called upon as a mill engineer. On the death of Mr. John Hartley seven years ago, he became proprietor of the firm. Like his father, Mr. Taylor was closely associated with Haggate Baptist Church, and for many years was a member of the choir. He leaves a widow and two children. The internment will take place at Haggate Baptist burial ground to-day.
The East Lancashire Coroner (Mr. F. Rowland) conducted an inquest at the Brierfield Town Hall yesterday morning, which was attended by Mr. J. Chandler (H.M. Inspector of Factories), Mr. Holden, of Messrs. Lambert and Parker (representing the relatives), Mr. E. Smith, of Messrs. Smith and Smith (representing Messrs. J. Thornton and Co., who run the mill), and Mr. C. Waddington (representing the Harle Syke Mill Co., on whose premise the accident happened).
Geoffrey Taylor (19), son of the deceased, said that his father had always enjoyed good health, and had never complained of dizziness. He left the garage at 9-15 a.m. on Saturday morning to repair the hoist at the Harle Syke Mill Company’s premises, and that was the last occasion on which witness saw him alive.
Fred Butterfield, 81, Bank-parade, shafting oiler, employed at Harle Syke Mill, said that deceased went to the mill to repair the hoist. The eye-bolt had come away from the top of the hoist, and this had caused the balance weight to fall to the ground floor. Witness went with Taylor to the second floor and assisted him to put a plank across the well from the floor to the joists at the other side. Two lengths of cotton thrumbs were fastened to the balance weight, one being taken over the gearing shafting and the other over the plank.
Several men on the second floor were pulling on the thrumbs over the stationary gearing shafting, and Taylor and another man were on the plank pulling at the other length. The balance weight was brought in this manner to the level of the plank, and deceased put a crowbar underneath the nut at the top of the weight and began to lever the weight into the required position.
“I had my back to him for a moment,” added witness, “and the next thing I saw was Fred falling into the well of the hoist. I don’t know how he came to fall. In his effort to save himself he tried to grasp something, and the next thing I saw his legs were over the revolving shafting which runs along the wall at the back of the hoist about two feet below the plank.
“He was carried round the shafting,” witness proceeded, “and I shouted for someone to break the glass of the stop motion. I dropped down and myself broke the glass, and when I ran back to the hoist the shafting was slowing down. When it stopped he was hanging feet downwards and hanging by his clothing from the shafting.”
Answering Mr. Holden, witness said that all the men assisting deceased were employed by Messrs. Thorntons. The plank did not fall, and was still in position after the accident, though he could not say whether it moved or not.
DECEASED IN CHARGE
Mr. Holden: Is it usual to do repairs of this nature with revolving shafting just underneath? – I think it has been done before, but no thought was given to any danger from the shafting.
The plank would not be immediately above the shafting? – No. The plank went to the joists, and the shafting was underneath the joists. He fell down, and either grasped the rope of the hoist or the thrumbs which were hanging down, and his feet appeared to drop on to the shafting. He appeared to have tried to pull himself back, and got his legs over the shafting.
Mr. Waddington: In ordinary circumstances no one could possibly have touched the shafting? – NO.
Who was in charge of the work being done? – Mr. Taylor.
Were you acting under his orders in assisting at the work? – Yes.
Mr. Smith: Were the other men working there at Mr. Taylor’s request? – Yes.
Answering Mr. Chandler, witness said the shaft was behind the structure of the hoistway. He did not know what had caused the hoist rope to come away from its fixing. It was about two years since work had been done on the hoist.
At the conclusion of the evidence the Coroner said to witness: “I would like to compliment you on the very efficient manner in which you dealt with the whole emergency. It must have been a very terrible experience for you.”
Winstone Kippax, loom sweeper, 65 Brunshaw-road, Burnley, said he was with Taylor on the plank when the accident happened, and described the method used for raising the balance weight. Deceased was using the crowbar to lever the weight into position, and put his right foot on one of the beams at the back of the hoist shaft. As he levered the weight his foot slipped, and he fell backwards into the well of the hoist.
“As he was falling,” added witness, “he caught hold of the hoist rope, and in doing so his right leg got over the revolving shafting. He hung in this position a few seconds and was then whirled round the shafting.”
Questioned by Mr. Holden, witness said he was left on the plank after Taylor had fallen, and did not feel any movement of the plank. He did not feel to be in any danger there, because the shafting was covered by the joists.
HANGING FEET DOWNWARDS
James Shackleton, Church-street, Briercliffe, engine-tenter, employed by the Harle Syke Mill Co., said he was in the engine room when the stopping motion dropped and stopped the engine. He made a test on Monday morning which revealed that the shafting around which deceased was caught revolved at 108 revolutions a minute. The stopping motion worked efficiently, for the crank revolved only about three times after it was operated.
P.C. A. J. Smith said he went to the mill in response to a telephone message and saw the body of the deceased hanging feet downwards, suspended from the shafting by his clothing. The body was stripped from the waist downwards. The injuries included fractures of the neck, both legs, the left thigh and the right arm: the feet were badly mutilated, and there was extensive bruising of the body. Witness removed the clothing which was wound tightly round the shafting, and underneath was a length of cotton thrumbs. The shafting appeared to be quite out of the way from where the men were working.
Mr. Chandler said he would like to record his appreciation of the manner in which the police officer had dealt with the circumstances.
The Coroner: I agree. This man has done his work extraordinarily well. The statement he prepared was so clear that I had no difficulty in understanding the position.
Chief Inspector Cook thanked the Coroner and Mr. Chandler for their remarks, and said they would be conveyed to the proper quarter.
“This is a very unfortunate fatal accident,” said the Coroner, in returning his verdict. The crucial test is, could it have been avoided by any care or action on the part of any person other than the deceased? I think not. This man was a mill engineer, and employed to do a certain job. All the men assisting were under his direction. He must have seen the revolving shafting, which was away from the hoist shaft, and I am satisfied that neither he nor anyone else considered there was any danger from it; nor would there have been but for the unfortunate conglomeration of circumstances which led to his death.
“I was very stuck with the evidence of these two witnesses. One did not see it, the other did, and it is clear in my mind that this man slipped and fell, setting up a chain of cause and effect which ended in his death. I don’t think anyone could be held to blame in connection with his death, and the verdict of “Accidental death” will automatically express the view I hold. I wish to express my sincere sympathy with the relatives in the loss they have sustained.”
WILL BE GREATLY MISSED
Mr. Waddington said he wished, on behalf of the Harle Syke Mill Company, to be associated with that expression of sympathy. Mr. Taylor had done work for the mill for several years, and had always given good service. They would feel his loss deeply.
Mr. Smith said that deceased was very highly respected by Messrs. James Thornton and Co., as indeed he was by all who knew him. He would be greatly missed in Harle Syke.
Mr. Holden, on behalf of the relatives, expressed thanks, and said that he would convey those sympathetic references to the family. It would be consoling to the family to know that as a workman and man, Mr. Taylor had been held in such a high regard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:08 am 
Sage of Simonstone

I got quite excited when I started reading this. There's a story in the Leaver family of a man killed in the same way and we've never been able to discover who it was. However it's the wrong mill - the one in the story was where TKMaxx & Staples is now. And the circumstances aren't quite the same.
Ah well . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:50 am 
Spider Lady

do you have any idea when yours is supposed to have happened Maureen? A decade maybe?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:04 am 
Willfinder General

I believe this is Fred Taylor’s brother (mentions the same Mill etc) - http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Sol ... Taylor.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Not a clue - the source of my information (my father in law) died several years ago before anyone thought to chase it up. I'm sure he said it was is grandfather but I have the death cert for said grandfather. He died of TB and was a weaver. So not him From time to time I've ploughed through old Burnley newspapers but never found anyhing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:48 am 
Spider Lady

He would have had 2 grandfathers wouldn't he? Could it be the other one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:26 am 
Sage of Simonstone

He always said it was his mother's father. I just checked anyway and it wouldn't fit his paternal grandfather. The age and occupation don't fit.
Most everything my father-in-law told us checks out, but not always in the exact detail he told us. So quite possibly one of his forebears did die this way, but not necessarily the one he said.

Post subject: Fred Taylor
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 pm 

This Fred Taylor was my great granduncle. But according to my family history research he didn't have a brother called Hartley. They are related though beacuse they have the same grandfather John Taylor c1796.

I would love to hear from any other distant branches of these Taylor families and maybe expand my tree a bit! :-)

Post subject: Re: TAYLOR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:11 pm 
Spider Lady

St James Briercliffe

B49
In
Memory
of
John TAYLOR
of Burnley who
died May 24th 1865 aged 61 years
Also of Margaret the beloved
wife of the above who departed
this life Decr 9th 1867 in the 61st year
of her age
Also George TAYLOR of
Burnley who died March 3rd 1879
in the 34th year of his age
Also Agnes Mary SMITH
grand daughter of the above
Who died MArch 13th 1881 agd 26 years
Also Jane the beloved wife of William TAYLOR
Who died July 2nd 1898 in her 60th year
Also Ethel BENNETT great grand
daughter who died Jan 27th 1905 aged 9 years
Also Mary Ann BENNETT
daughter of the above
Who died Oct 27th 1910 aged 76 years

B69
In
Loving Memory of
Lawrence TAYLOR
of Burnley
Who died Jan 24th 1881
Aged 40 years
Also of Mary his wife
Who died Jan 7th 1881 aged 39 years
Also of Edwin their son
Who died Jan 31st 1868 aged 14 months
Also of Margaret their daughter
Who died June 29th 1881 in her 5th year
Also of Walter their son
Who died April 9th 1882 aged 13 years
Also of Alice Airey son-in-law who was
Killed in
The Great War at ypres 1917
Aged 39 years

C25
In Loving Remembrance of
Thomas
The beloved husband of
Fanny TAYLOR
Who departed this life
June 8th 1903
Aged 75 years
Also the above named
Nanny
Died March 5th 1912
Aged 78 years
Also
Luke WORMWELL
Who died Jan 3rd 1944
Aged 70 years
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... rmwell.htm

D53
Margaret dearly beloved wife of Edward TAYLOR
Died May 23rd 1932 aged 72 years

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:21 pm 
Spider Lady

St John Worsthorne

A18
In Memory of
Ann wife of Abraham TAYLOR
of Worsthorn who died October 24th 1866 aged 32 years
Also
Abraham TAYLOR who died
April 8th 1876 aged 39 years

A20
In Memory of
Ann
The beloved wife of
George TAYLOR
Who died Nov 18th 1887
Aged 38 years
"In The Midst Of Life We Are In Death"

A43
In Loving Memory of
Mary Anne SPENCER
A dear wife and mother
Died May 13th 1970 aged 78 years
Also
Nicholas TAYLOR
Father of the above
Died Jan 20th 1937
Aged 71 years
And Harold SPENCER
Died Feb 19th 1981
Aged 90 years

B20
In
Memory
of
Ann
the wife
of George TAYLOR
Who died June 11th 1864
aged 79 years
Also the above named
George TAYLOR who died
June 2 1869 aged 81 years
Also Rosa the beloved wife of
John HOLGATE and daughter
of the above who died August 23rd
1872 aged 50 years
Also Rose CHADWICK who died
November 21 1916 aged 67 years
Also Edmund CHADWICK
Who died October 17th 1925
Aged 78 years
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... adwick.htm

D44
In Loving
Memory of
Elizabeth
The beloved wife of
John S LEAVER
Who died Oct 26th 1927
Aged 61 years
Also the above named
John Smith LEAVER
Who died May 22nd 1936
Aged 69 years
"At Rest" Also
Herbert TAYLOR
Who died Sept 28th
Aged 60 years
and Edith Mary dearly
loved wife of the above
Who died Novr 23rd 1968
Aged 70 years
Also
Jack HOWORTH
Who died July 16th
Aged 39 years
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... owarth.htm

Not on MI's
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... itchon.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:08 pm 
Spider Lady

Haggate and Hill Lane

Section A Grave 41
Broken Stone
Ellen
The beloved wife of
Thomas TAYLOR
of Burnley
Who died Jan 1st 1880
In her 54th year
Also John their son
Who died Oct 15th 1855
Aged 2 years
Also Nellie SPENCER her granddaughter died June 25th 1893 aged 6 years and 9 months
Also the above Thomas TAYLOR died March 13th 1902 aged 74
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor1.htm

Section B Grave 36
In
Memory
of
Sarah
the beloved wife of
Henry TAYLOR
who died Jun 19th 1874
Aged 65 years
Also the above named
Henry TAYLOR
of Burnley
November 6th 1876 aged 69 years.
John
son of the above
died August 26th 1876
Aged 26 years
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor3.htm

Section B Grave 58
In Affectionate
Remembrance
of
Ellen TAYLOR
of South View Briercliffe who
Died July 3rd 1876 Aged 54 years.
Also of James son of
Thomas and Elizabeth TAYLOR
and grandson of the above,
Who died January 6th 1862
in his 1st year.
And of Ellen their
Daughter, who died June
16th 1867, aged 9 months.
Also of Betty their
Daughter, who died October
31st 1871, aged 14 months.
And Margaret Ann their
Daughter, who died April
8th 1876, in her 4th year.
Also Renny, their son,
Who died April 11th 1882,
Aged 8 months.
Also Elizabeth TAYLOR,
The beloved wife of the above,
Who died January 6th 1885,
Aged 42 years.
Also the above named
Thomas TAYLOR,
Who died April 6th 1905
Aged 63 years.
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor2.htm

Section B Grave 77
In Memory of
James Curwen HEYES
Who died February 9th 1875 aged
2 years and 6 months
Also of James HEYS of Burnley Lane
Who died February 17th 1877
Aged 64 years
Also of Elizabeth wife of the
Above who died February 11th 1880
Aged 71yrs
Also of
Elizabeth BERRY
Of Burnley Lane who died
March 1877 aged 92 years
Also of Elizabeth daughter of
John Henry and Martha HEYS
Who died January 24th 1883 aged 9 months
Also of Elizabeth Ann the beloved wife
of James TAYLOR of Burnley
Who died February 2nd 1920 aged 72 years
Also of the above named
James TAYLOR
Who died April 28th 1924 aged 76 years
Also the above named John Henry HEYS
Who died March 18th 1926 aged 74 years
Also Martha wife of the above
Who died May 30th 1926 aged 72 years
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... 0Berry.htm

Section B Grave 95
Headstone
Robert TAYLOR of Ford St Burnley died June 16th 1884 aged 33yrs
Thomas son of above Robert and Betty died October 2nd 1874 aged 1yr 6mths
Elizabeth daughter died April 27th 1876 aged 1yr 11mths
Adelina daughter died July 6th 1889 aged 15yrs
Henry PROCTOR died April 1857 aged 36yrs
Elizabeth PROCTOR died April 4th 1892 aged 69yrs wife of the above Henry and mother of the above Betty TAYLOR

Section B Grave 107
In Affectionate Remembrance of
Ann
The beloved wife of William TAYLOR
of Burnley
Who died March 22nd 1881
Aged 65 years.
Also of the above
William TAYLOR
Who died April 8th 1881
Aged 75 years.
Also of Ellen DILLICATE
Daughter of the above
Who died June 19th 1924
In her 77th year.
In Loving Memory of
Alice PRESTON
Daughter of the above and widow
of the late William PRESTON
Who died June 16th 1926
In her 84th year
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... reston.htm

Section B grave 123
In Affectionate Remembrance of
Robert TAYLOR
of Hag-Gate House
Who died November 3rd 1885
Aged 81 years.
Also of Sarah, wife of the above named
Who died September 21st 1838,
Aged 33 years.
Also of Alice, wife of the above named
Who died September 9th 1870,
Aged 50 years.
Also of 4 children who died in infancy.
Also of Moses their son
Who died July 6th 1901
Aged 54 years
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor4.htm

Section B Grave 125
In Loving Remembrance of
William TAYLOR
of Higher House, Briercliffe
Who died December 6th 1884
In the 52nd year of his age.
Also of Mary wife of the above
Who died November 23rd 1916
Aged 70 years.
Also of Harriet
Daughter of the above William and
Mary TAYLOR, who died Oct 22nd 1879
Aged 5 months.
Also three children who died in infancy.
Also of Ellen Alice their daughter
and beloved wife of
Benjamin SMITH.
Who died August 8th 1893
Aged 32 years.
Until the day dawns and the shadows flee away.
Also Lena, daughter of the above
William and Mary TAYLOR
Who died January 9th 1917,
Aged 42 years.
Also Annie, daughter of the above
and beloved wife of Adam BROOKS,
Died March 30th 1968, aged 91 years.
Also Adam BROOKS,
A dearly loved husband
Who passed away Aug 23rd 1951, aged 83 years.
At Rest
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... Brooks.htm

Section C Grave 13
In Affectionate
Remembrance of
William TAYLOR
Died Sep 30th 1899
Aged 52 years
Also Mary Ann
Wife of the above
Died Oct 6th 1929
Aged 76 years
Also Robert TAYLOR
Son of the above
Died Aug 11th 1950
Aged 65 years
Also
Elizabeth TAYLOR
Sister of the above
Died Sept 26th 1953
Aged 74 years
Also
Laura TAYLOR
Sister of the above
Died Nov 28th 1953
Aged 64 years
Also
Sarah TAYLOR B.Sc. A.R.I.C.
Sister of the above
Died Dec 18th 1958
Aged 72 years
Also Mary Ann
Wife of William TAYLOR
Died April 17th 1872
Aged 24 years
Also John their son
Died Jan 21st 1870
Aged 5 weeks
Also Sabina, daughter of
William & Mary Ann TAYLOR
Died April 21st 1878
Aged 4 months
Also Fred their son
Born Feb 20th 1880
Died June 20th 1880
Also Ellen Ann their daughter
Born June 21st 1881
Died May 21st 1887
Also Dan their son
Died Dec 5th 1893
Aged 11 years
http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/Grave%2 ... ylor12.htm

Section C Grave 14
Headstone
In Loving Memory of
Thomas TAYLOR
of Briercliffe
Who died July 11th 1914
Aged 43 years
Also Leah his beloved wife
Who died May 25th 1944
Aged 74 years
Also Trevor Altham
Infant son of William A
and Winifred TAYLOR
Who fell asleep
June 20th 1943
Also the above
William Altham TAYLOR
Who died Jan 10h 1975
Aged 68 years
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor5.htm

Section c Grave 76
Headstone
Eveline Annie daughter of James and Anne TAYLOR of Briercliffe Rd Burnley died august 22nd 1889 aged 17 years
Above Anne died June 4th 1907 aged 72 years
Above James died april 1st 1911 aged 81 years
Amelia daughter died March 19th 1932 aged 75 years

Section C Grave 82
Cross
In
Loving Remembrance
of
Lettice, the beloved wife of
Harry TAYLOR
who died Feb 19th 1910
aged 35 years
Also of H ?YLOR
Who died.....
http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/Grave%2 ... ylor13.htm

Section C Grave 123
Mary Jane TAYLOR died March 20th 1928 aged 70 years
John her husband died March 2nd 1933 aged 73 years

Section C Grave 168
In Loving Memory of
Mary TAYLOR
of Burnley
Born February 12th 1889
Died November 30th 1906
Also Sarah beloved wife of
Thomas WILSON
Born April 14th 1834
Died March 16th 1910
Also the above named
Thomas WILSON
Born April 17th 1836
Died Jan 10th 1918
Also of Mary Jane
Daughter of the above
Thomas & Sarah WILSON
Died Aug 14th 1823
In her 87th year
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... Wilson.htm

Section C Grave 200
Headstone
In Loving Memory of
Edmund HIRST
of Briercliffe
Who died March 1st 1877 aged 36 years
Also of Betty his wife
Who died July 9th 1911 aged 71 years
Also Mary Ann WHITTAKER
Their daughter
Who died November 4th 1909 aged 41 years
Also Mona the beloved daughter of
Ferdie and Pathania Jane THORNTON
Who died June 6th 1912 aged 10 months
Also Jack the beloved son of
Harry and Rhoda TAYLOR
Who died May 21st 1924 aged 7 months
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... ornton.htm

Section C Grave 201
In Loving Memory
of
Benjamin TAYLOR
of Brierfield
Who died Nov 8th 1910
Aged 62 years
Also of Elizabeth
His wife
Who died July 6th 1929
Aged 76 years
Also of Robert son of the above
Who died in infancy
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... ylor10.htm

Section C Grave 248
In Loving Memory of
William Holdsworth HARTLEY
Died 21st November 1927
Aged 62 years
Also Mary Jane
Wife of the above
Died 4th September 1932
Aged 66 years
Also Martha Jane
Daughter of the above
And beloved wife of
Harry TAYLOR
Died 16th December 1948
Aged 52 years
Also Annie daughter of
W.H. and M.J. HARTLEY
Died 2nd October 1955
Aged 62 years
At Rest
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... artley.htm

Section C grave 382
Headstone
Mary TAYLOR, January11th 1951 aged 72 years
Thomas Edmund, husband, June 13th 1966 aged 91 years

Section D Grave 82
Kerb
John TAYLOR, Burnley, September 11th 1909 aged 67
Sarah, wife, March 30th 1911 aged 67 years
Eliz. GREENALL, daughter of John TAYLOR, May 2nd 1936 aged 64 years

Section D Grave 94
Headstone
Elizabeth Alice, daughter of John and Sarah DIXON of Brierfield, September 20th 1916 aged 17 years
Above John, October 14th 1927 aged 51 years
Above Sarah, December 16th 1943 aged 66 years
Emma, daughter of above and wife of JOhn TAYLOR, August 21st 1950 aged 44 years
Joseph Elliott, killed in France March 27th 1918 aged 34 years
Rebecca his wife, June 11th 1918 aged 31 years

Section D Grave 153
Headstone
Minnie HEALEY, October 26th 1955, aged 66 years
Sarah Ellen, wife, April 28th 1957, aged 65 years
Thos. WHITTAKER, April 12th 1923, aged 65 years
Martha, his wife, April 28th 1941, aged 80 years
Jesse TAYLOR, June 18th 1924, aged 43 years

Section D Grave 184
Headstone
Harry TAYLOR, October 1st 1941 aged 45
Rhoda, wife, September 19th 1953 aged 62 years
Margaret, wife of Harold THORNTON, May 23rd 1944 aged 54 years

Section E Grave 14
Headstone
Thomas Maunsill FERNLEY, died June 14th 1896 aged 53
Jane, wife, September 20th 1930 aged 87
Alan Fernley TAYLOR, grandson, September 30th 1936 aged 19 years

Section E grave 42
Headstone
Eliza TAYLOR, July 31st 1915 aged 52 years
John Thomas, husband, June 20th 1941 aged 80 years

Section E Grave 49
230398 Gunner
I. TAYLOR
Royal Horse Artillery
20th March 1920
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor6.htm

Section E Grave 91
Headstone
In Loving Memory of
James TAYLOR
Who died 15th Dec 1912
In his 71st year
Also of Mary
His beloved wife
Who died 16th Nov 16th 1912
In her 66th year
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor8.htm

Section E Grave 101
Headstone
In
Loving
Memory of
Nancy TAYLOR
Who died May 28th 1914
In her 84th year
Also of
Mary Ellen daughter of the above
and beloved wife of John GREENWOOD
Who died March 29th 1929 aged 6? years
Gone But Not Forgotten
Also the above John GREENWOOD
Who died July 28th 1935 aged 69? years
"Reunited"
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... enwood.htm

Section E Grave 117
Headstone
John Thomas TAYLOR, October 3rd 1918 aged 55 years
Sarah Elizabeth, wife, December 8th 1937 aged 70

Section F Grave 59
Headstone
Robert TAYLOr, Causeyfoot, Marsden, died March 24th 1828 aged 36 years
Betty, wife, April 29th 1859 aged 72 years
Robert, son, May 6th 1859 aged 37 years
Thomas, son, August 26th 1859 aged 47 years

Section F Grave 94
Headstone
John DUERDEN, Steep Causeway, Brierfield, XDecember 27th 1915, aged 75 years
Margaret, wife of John DUERDEN, Burnley Lane, February 11th 1892, aged 52 years
Thomas, Maria & Sarah, children died in infancy
James Edwin DUERDEN ARCS (Lond) M.Sc.Ph.D F2S Emeritus Professor of Rhodes University, Grahamstown, U.S.A. husband of Mary Haworth DUERDEN, eldest son of

above, born April 7th 1865 died September 4th 1937.
Priscilla, daughter of John and Margaret, November 14th 1948, aged 86yrs
Above Mary Haworth DUERDEN, April 27th 1950, aged 85yrs
Margaret, wife of Tom TAYLOR, and daughter of John and Margaret, January 21st 1939, aged 63yrs

Section F Grave 108
In Loving Memory of
James
The beloved husband of
Lydia TAYLOR
of Harle Syke
Who died Nov 26th 1916
In his 64th year
Also Lydia his wife
Who died Aug 4th 1929
In her 76th year
Also Alfred son of the above
Who was killed in action in
Belgium on May 13th 1915
Aged 38 years. He gave his life for his country
Walter Smith, son of the above
Stretcher Bearer 2/5 East Lancs Regt.
Killed in Action Nov 28th 1917 aged 24 years
Lily, Smith, Luna, and Hartley, children died in infancy
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor7.htm

Section G Grave 93
Headstone
Horace TAYLOR, April 2nd 1937 aged 29 years
Mary Alice, wife of Abraham TAYLOR, June 28th 1955, 73 years

Section G Grave 146
Headstone
Harry TAYLOR, December 8th 1964 aged 66 years

Section G Grave 194
Kerb
Albert, husband of Elizabeth TAYLOR, April 16th 1972 aged 62 years

Section G Grave 198
Kerb
Thomas TAYLOR, February 15th 1956 aged 71 years
Elizabeth, wife, April 22nd 1966 aged 77 years

Section G Grave 223
Kerb
Donald Ross TAYLOR, Janaury 23rd 1953 aged 53
Elsie, wife, October 8th 1972 aged 74 years

Section G Grave 240
Headstone
Salome, wife of William TAYLOR, March 4th 1929, 60 years

Section G Grave 257
Headstone
In Loving Memory of
Our dear sister
Lillie Ann DEARDEN
Who died Dec 18th 1937
Aged 62 years
Also her husband
John H DEARDEN
Died Dec 7th 1929 aged 69 years
Also Herbert TAYLOR
Husband of Elizabeth J. TAYLOR
February 20th 1939, aged 61yrs
Elizabeth Jane his wife, December 29th 1943, 63yrs
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... earden.htm

Section G Grave 275
Kerb
Thomas TAYLOR, December 5th 1920 aged 62 years
Mary Jane, wife, August 9th 1940 aged 77 years
Mary ann, daughter, June 7th 1940 aged 52 years
Amy, daughter, May 29th 1961 aged 71 years

Section G Grave 280
Headstone
Ada, daughter of Thomas and Mary TAYLOR, June 11th 1921 aged 29 years
Above Thomas, September 27th 1927 aged 79 years
Above mary, January 7th 1942 aged 91 years

Section G Grave 302
Sarah Jane TAYLOR, Seth TAYLOR
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor9.htm

Section G Grave 306
Thomas TAYLOR, February 24th 1926 aged 72 years
Agnes, wife, September 12th 1934 aged 80 years
Rose Helena, daughter, August 14th 1932 aged 44 years
Sarah Jane, daughter, December 25th 1923 aged 33 years

Section L Grave 36
In
Memory
of
Hartley TAYLOR
of South View
Who died July 6th 1881
Aged 61 years
Also of Mary his wife
Who died January 23rd 1879
In her 59th year
Also of William ARNOLD
Who died November 14th 1897
In his 70th year
Also arah wife of the above
William ARNOLD & daughter
of the above Hartley & Mary
TAYLOR who died June 27th 192?
Aged 77 years
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor1.htm

Section L Grave 124
In Loving Memory of
Margaret Ellen
The dearly loved wife of
Willy TAYLOR
Who departed this life
January 6th 1952
Aged 77 years
Also the above named
Willy TAYLOR
Who departed this life
December 7th 1952
Aged 80 years
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor2.htm

Not on MI's but can be found at Haggate
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... errick.htm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:48 pm 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express and News, May 27, 1944
MRS. LEAH TAYLOR
The death occurred on Thursday at her home, 3, Burnley-road, Harle Syke, of Mrs. Leah Taylor following a short illness. In her 75th year, she had lived in the district all her life and had been closely connected with Haggate Baptist Church, in her younger days being a member of the choir. She always maintained her interest in music. She is survived by two sons. The internment takes place this afternoon in Haggate Baptist churchyard.
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... aylor5.htm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:14 am 
Spider Lady

Not on MI's but found propped against another stone at Haggate Chapel http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... ylor11.htm

Also this one http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Gra ... /Fyles.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:42 am 
Spider Lady

Burnley Express and Advertiser

June 2 1928

Colne's Oldest Inhabitant Dead

A Native of Burnley

The death took place on Wednesday of Mr. William Taylor, of 62, Alkincoats-road, and formerly of Duke-street. Mr. Taylor would have been 95 years of age if he had lived till Sunday, and was the oldest inhabitant of the town. For some time he had resided with his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hartley. He was pre-deceased by his wife in January of last year at the age of 86.
Mr. Taylor was born at Burnley, and was a son of the late Mr. Richard Taylor, of Lower Hood House, Burnley. Mr. Taylor was formerly in the employ of Colne Corporation, and, prior to the incorporation of the borough, of the old Local Board as Building and Streets Inspector. He held that position for a period of about 20 years, retiring 20 years ago.
Mr. and Mrs. Taylor celebrated their diamond wedding in July 1918. They were married at Gill Church, Barnoldswick, on July 15th 1858, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. J. G. Miller. They had 16 children, of whom only four are living - two sons and two daughters, one son being in Australia. For many years Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were the oldest married couple present at the annual old folks' tea, given by the Mayor and Mayoress of the town, but Mrs. Taylor was unable to go in 1927, and she died soon afterwards. Mrs. Taylor was one of the lady veterans of Colne Ambulance Association, and held the position of lady superintendent of the Nursing Division for 28 years. For her ambulance work in the town she was elected an honorary serving sister of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem in England.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:15 am 
Spider Lady

Burnley Gazette
Saturday 17 September 1870
Deaths
On the 9th inst., Alice Taylor, Haggate House, aged 50 years