Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Index of epidemics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:45 pm 

I have just come across an Epidemics Timeline which other people might find of interest. The Timeline was compiled in 2011 by the Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies (AIGS) and reproduced with permission by the Keighley & District Family History Society (KDFHS): http://kdfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=30

It shows epidemics in Britain from the 1600s to 1918. Of particular local interest are entries for the 1860s:
1861 American cotton crop fails Typhus epidemic Lancashire towns
1862 Typhus epidemic Lancashire towns
1863 Scarlatina epidemic (South West) followed by chronic measles epidemic; Typhus epidemic Lancashire towns
1864 Scarlatina epidemic (South West) followed by chronic measles epidemic; Typhus epidemic Lancashire towns
1865 Typhus epidemic Lancashire towns
1866 Typhus epidemic Lancashire towns; whooping cough epidemic; cholera epidemic 14,000
1867 Typhus epidemic Lancashire towns; cholera epidemic 14,000

Ruth

Post subject: Re: Index of epidemics
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:19 pm 
Computer Whizz

That makes interesting reading, they didn't have time to get over one epidemic when another hit them.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:56 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Might just have been the same one that lasted a long time . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:00 am 
Spider Lady

Interesting. I wonder if this is something that could be continued forward...or back a little? I know from reading the old newspapers that epidemics were fairly well reported, certainly around the turn of the century. Hmmmm, I have just subscribed for a month to the British Newspaper archive. Speaking of which, it's a £1 for month until the end of January 2015. If you are subscribed to Find My Past, you have access to it on their site.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:58 pm 

While looking yesterday for the newspaper report of Suarrow Yates's' death, I chanced upon the following reference to epidemic diseases in the 2 December 1863 edition of the Blackburn Standard (page 2):

SANITARY MEARURES. – The Relief Committee, in accordance with a recommendation by the Manchester Central Committee, have issued an announcement to the effect that they are prepared to undertake the whitewashing of yards and dwelling-houses gratuitously, as a precautionary measure against the spread of epidemic diseases, on the application of the owners of the property where such work is needed.

Ruth