Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:41 pm 
Spider Lady

The Preston Guardian
Saturday August 15 1863

Roman Remains Near Burnley
By James Stonehouse, Esq., Liverpool.

About two miles from Burnley, in Lancashire, there are on a moor and rising grounds adjacent some most remarkable remains of the Roman occupation in this country. Between the towns of Burnley and Colne there are more objects of antiquarian interest scattered about than may be found in any other part of England.
The waste to which I refer is called "Worsthorn Moor," and is one of those vast tracts of uncultivated land which may be frequently met with on the Lancashire and Yorkshire borders.
At the foot of Worsthorn Moor is the ancient village of Worsthorn. Through it runs a little brook, which in winter or wet weather is swelled into a smartly running strwam. There are several quaint old houses in this village, and two old halls, of rather picturesque appearance. One of them appears to have been built by the old Lancashire family of the Halsteds of 1657. It has a remarkably handsome arched entrance porch. At present the hall is in rather a dilapidated state. It shows marks of having been at some time a dwelling of pretentious appearance. The other house of note is "Worsthorn Hall," now occupied as a farm house, which seems to have been kept in better preservation than the Halsteds' house.
Taking a road in the middle of the village on the left hand, we obtain as we pass along, an extensive view look towards Burnley. As the road rises, our attention is attracted by the appearance of a very tall building about a mile distant. this is Extwistle Hall, formerly the seat and residence of the Townley Parkers. It is now a farm house. It was abandoned many years ago by the family inconsequence of a lamentable accident that took place within it. One of the Parkers was drying gunpowder in the hall, when, just as one of the young ladies was passing through the apartment, a spark flew into the powder, which exploding, killed not only Mr Parker, but his sister also. Although going rapidly into decay, the hall presents many features of great interest to the antiquary, in the oaken panelled wainscots, the elaborately carved ceilings, and a few old articles of furniture still remaining in some of the chambers. The outside of the hall is interesting, and exhibits remains of considerable architectural taste in a flight of steps as well as in doors and windows. The views from the front and sides of the house are remarkably fine. This might well be a favoured place for an old family wherein to reside.
As we pursue our ramble along the road towards Roggerham, we arrive at a farm house on the right hand called "Rotten"; and a short way beyond it find a gate on the same side. Opening this gate we discover a narrow road, having in the centre a pavement of large boulder stones, the footway on one side being skirted by a stone wall which enclose portions of the moor; on the other a thick hedge. An unobservant person even would notice something unusual in the appearance of this bye-road. The mystery of it-if there be such a thing as a mystery-is soon made manifest. The road is found to lead upon the open moor land, and where the enclosure walls end it gradually becomes lost in the moorland and herbage, although its track can be really discovered rising over the hill before us. But before it becomes so hidden in the heather and the thick grass it passes an enclosure of some 200 feet by 160 feet, that the antiquary and the archaeologist would not fail to gaze upon with deep and absorbing interest. The road is Roman. As the Romans left it, there it is. The enclosure is Roman. As the Romans constructed it, there it is; at least what remains of their handywork. The enclosure is the remains of a fort erected by this great nation, when occupying this part of Britain. The fort is known by the people of the vicinity as "Ring Stones Camp." The walls, at least as much as is left of them, are about a foot high from the interior surface. Outside the Vallum is a foss or ditch. It is deep in some portions, and filled up in others. It seems to be of the true V shape by the inclinatior of the sides. The walls appear as strong as when the soldier mason laid stone upon stone and spread the strong concrete that has hardened till it rivals the stone in durability. At one of the sides, there is an opening where stood the Decuman gate. On the side facing it is another opening. This is the Proetorian gate, so called as being near where the Praetor fixed his quarters. In the centre of the enclosure are great inequalities of ground whic, if carefully examined, will perhaps exhibit some of the arrangements of the encampment or fort.
Outside the north-west corner of the fort, there are the remains of a tower. This tower has commanded the Proetorian gate, and is about sixty feet square. In various parts of the moor, outside the fort, there are circular sinkings of the surface, which have been evidently the mouths of mines or wells. On investigation, perhaps remains of buildings would be found scattered over the moor; for it is quite reasonable to suppose that in the vicinity of such an important fort as this there must have been habitations of some sort, for the soldiers and their followers. I believe the moorland to be fraught with interest and most worthy of the enquiring antiquarian. The land here dips down to the Swinden Valley in which the Burnley waterworks reservoirs have been constructed. About half a mile hence we find a similar enclosure to that which we have just described, and it is known in the neighbiurhood as "Twist Castle," but why it is so called does not seem to be accounted for satisfactorily. Dr. Whitaker, supposes the name to have reference to the ancient forests which once covered the district, and to indicate "the boundary of Oaks." the word "Twist" seems local, as we have mentioned in "Extwistle Hall," "Extwistle Moor." This Twist Castle stands on the brow of the rising moor, and commands a noble view of the surrounding country, over-looking Holden Clough, Rogerham, and the whole of the Swinden Valley. The sides of Twist Castle encampment measure about 150 feet. The Vallum and Foss are most distinctly developed, as are the openings where the gates have been, as well as the remains of some out-work. At the north-west corner there are, as at the fort previously described, the foundations of a tower of outwork. The ground in the interior of this fort or encampment is very unequal, and will afford great interest to any one fortunate enough to be able to examine it. As in the previously described fort, the place of the Proetarium is distinctly marked. The fort has not been disturbed for centuries.
Not far from the fort is a circular enclosure of about 45 feet in diameter. In
memory of some it has been of considerable height, but tons and tons of stone have been carted away from it to form a road in the vicinity. It is probable that the reason nothing as yet has been discovered in it is because sufficient depth has not yet been attained to lay bare its contents, if any remain. The mound is composed of loose stones. On the east side is a hole which has been subjected to the strong action of fire. In another mound which is to be found on a rising ground, near a new road that has been formed from Worsthorn village, there is precisely the same description of hole, with indications of fire also. The shape of this mound is also clearly developed, and we believe the stones have been removed from it to form the road referred to. In each of the holes, hollowed out of the solid rock, there is a quantity of water. It occurs to me that perhaps these holes may have been used to contain beacon-fires in troublous and excited times, when "fiery cressets waved in air,"- times which kept men not only armed, but watchful and wakeful. Another suggestion occurs to me - whether these mounds and holes may not have had some connection with the "Teanla," or "Beltain Fire," which was, and I believe still is, burnt in some parts of Lancashire, in Wales, and Ireland, on St John's Eve.
The view from Worsthorn Moor is very extensive. In the distance, one way, is Hambleton Hill, where there are extensive stone quarries which have been worked for centuries. The eye from Hambleton takes in the high range of the land to Cliviger and Todmorden. On the other hand is Pendle with its lofty range. In the intermediate ground is Haggate and Hill-end, while the town of Burnley lies in the valley. This charming landscape is diversified by moorland and meadow, cornfield, garden, and orchard, with stream and still water sparkling in the radient sunshine.
Between Worsthorn and Colne, on a reference to the ordnance map, no. 92, S.W., it will be seen how rich in Roman, Danish, and Saxon remains is this country district.
The words "Camp," "Fort," "Tumulus," "Beacon," frequently occur. Every hill-top challenges examination and invites inquiry, as it presents to view a startling record of some far-off time.
On the next ridge to Twist Castle is Pikelaw, which appears like an immense tumulus. On Beetle or Beacon Hill, near it, are, or rather were once, two tumuli. These have almost entirely disappeared.
On Delf Hill there is also a tumulus. On another crest of hill, called "Bonfire Hill," there is a circular encampment, or rather entrenchment, 130 feet in diameter. There is an earthwork or rampart surrounding it.
At "Broad Bank," near Ridihalgh, there are the remains of a circular enclosure or fortress. The vallum and foss are quite distinctly marked. On another rising ground, called Ring Stones Hill, there used to be a circular encampment of fort, but this has disappeared. At Shelfield, R.T.Walton, Esp., has erected a handsome stone cross, which is a prominent object to the eye for miles round. At one time there was at Shelfield a circular encampment. About a mile nearer we find the Roman road which passes under Caster Cliff. Caster Cliff, near Colne, is one of the most important of the Roman stations hereabout. Its name is full of Roman life. This fortress stands on top of a hill commanding a view of the whole of the country round. In the fields towards the north stood the ancient city of Colunio.-On its site innumerable relics have been from time to time recovered in arms, ornaments, and utensils. The fort on Caster Cliff is about 580 feet long by 520 feet broad. There is a deep gully on the southern side. It has a double vallum and foss. The vallum is about a foot raised from the surface. The walls have been in one or two places disturbed; and I believe some objects of much interest have been there discovered. The action of fire appears to have been vigorously applied, as the stones are quite vitrified in places. By the steep path that leads from Caster Cliff to Colne, there are evidences of some out-works, which have been used in defence of the place. I am quite certain that a thorough examination of this fortress would prove of great value, and be fraught with high interest.
The view from Caster Cliff is remarkably fine. It over-looks Pendle forrest, Craven, and the valley of the Calder, the forest of Trawden to Winewall, Emmott and Boulsworth, where there is a beacon. Near Boulsworth is a range of high land, called "Warcock Hill," a name evidently having reference to the Raven of the Danes which they bore on their standards.
I hope in this communication to excite some interest in the subject. I raise up no speculation - give no opinion upon this most interesting district. I have plainly narrated what I saw when I was there, and what anybody else may witness who would enjoy a summer day's holiday as I did.
I may state in conclusion that a theory has been raised by Mr. Alderman Wilkinson, F.R.A.S., of Burnley, that Worsthorn Moor and Saxifield is the site of the great battle of Brunanburgh, of which so much has been said, written, and argued by antiquarians. He certainly does bring some very strong points to bear on the subect in favour of his views. Those who feel any interest in the matter, by consulting an elaborate and highly interesting paper in the 9 vol., page 21, of the Historic Society's Proceedings, by Mr. Wilkinson, will obtain a good deal of very valuable and interesting information.
I may also state here, that the country about Burnley is very beautiful. The rocks at Cliviger are well worth visiting. Hambleton Quarry is also replete with interest. A climb up Pendle Hill will well repay the trouble and labour involved. The walk from Burnley to Worsthorn by the Brun river is very interesting. At one point there is a cliff to be seen where the various strata of the earth are laid bare, teaching a lesson in geology such as no map can so fully impart. The coal formation is distinctly visible. At the foot of the cliff there is a regular row of white stones running from east to west, which appear as if they had been carefully placed there by the hand of man. -Liverpool Compass.
[With reference to the preceding article, it may be remarked that on the occasion referred to by Mr. Stonehouse, the Battle of Brunanburh was very briskly fought over again, in imagination, on these interesting slopes. The massing of Athelstan's troops-the night surprise-the death of Wersthan-the defeat of Anlaff-the retreat towards the Ribble and the Wyre-the Cuerdale treasure-and the voyage "over the raging ocean to dublin"-afforded abundant matter for argument and illustration as each hill-top and "camp" were gained and explored. Mr. Stonehouse, however, remained somewhat sceptical, as well he might, since high authorities differ so widely in their views as to the locality of this crowning event in Anglo-Saxon history. Mr. Charles Hardwick, in his valuable History of Preston, laboured hard to produce an impression that the battle must have been fought nearer the sea-shore than Burnley; but he did not succeed in shaking the conclusions arrived at in the paper read before the Historic Society. The question of locality has recently been argued in a valuable paper on "Walton-le-dale in the olden time," printed in the Preston Chronicle for June 20th 1863; and the writer thus sums up the results of his examination:- "Mr. Wilkinson's claim, in my opinion, seems the best yet put forward. Glad, no doubt, would the inhabitants of Walton-le-dale be to add another to the series of historic events of which their village has been the scene in days of yore, and especially so important a one as the great and decisive battle of Brunanburh, which exercised such an important influence on the destinies of England; but I fear we must surrender, though with regret, that honour." We hope that ere long a full examination will be made of these interesting remains; but in the meantime we would hope that they will be preserved from further demolition by the respective owners of the property in which they are situated.-W.]

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:19 pm 
Computer Whizz

Well, haven't you been busy today. A really interesting article.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:28 pm 
Spider Lady

I have, this article and the 1861 article were both much bigger than I realised. I am being quite decadent now and chilling with a glass of champers. I think I deserve it after that lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:28 pm 
Photographer

I don' t think people in this area realise just how much interesing history there is around these parts :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:53 am 
Spider Lady

I wonder how many Roman artifacts Tattersall Wilkinson found and stored in his house?

What of Twist Castle, are the locals still aware that it once existed? I assume it is no more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:22 am 
Photographer

I have never heard of it before although I am aware of the stone circles and Tumulus,which are marked on the OS maps of the area.
What I thought was interesting was that even in 1863 Extwistle Hall was in decay and nobody all these years later has done anything about it.
Another sad thing is demolishing a Roman Fort and using the stone to make a road.
It seems that people have not changed much in that respect over the years. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:26 am 
Photographer

Might be a good place for the Time Team to visit. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:30 am 
Spider Lady

Apparently, there may be a 'dig' in the future. Something Roger mentioned at one of the meetings. I don't know where the exact location will be or when. One of the men who used to go to the meetings has been doing a degree in archaeology and I think it is through him that this will be organised...don't quote me though!!

Gloria, do you recall this being mentioned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:18 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Some images of the site of Twist Castle here:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/user/4022/weblog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:21 am 
Spider Lady

Thanks Maureen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:34 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Just had another look at these images. You need a pretty good imagination

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:37 am 
Photographer

You know Maureen that is ucanny,I was just about to post the same comment lol.
These guys must know what they are looking at,just looks like a few bumps and hollows and random stones to me :D

I might have a wander up and have a look, think that you go up through the gate just past Swinden Water House on the bend in the road. :roll: