Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:46 pm 
Willfinder General

New Zealand Tablet, Volume I, Issue 25, 18 October 1873, Page 12
PROSELYTISING IN NEW SOUTH WALES.
THE “Sydney Freeman’s Journal” under the heading “the Eastwood case” has the following:-
The decision of the Randwick Committee in the case of the children Eastwood must be fresh in the minds of the public. It was that these children had been originally Protestant, and should be apprenticed to Protestant masters. The Very Rev. Dean Sheridan has just received from New Zealand important documents showing the flagrant injustice of that decision. It will be seen that Mrs. Eastwood produces certificates of her marriage in the Catholic Church of St. Mary’s, Burnley, England, and sends a copy of the Baptismal registers of her children in the same church:-
“Very Reverend Sir,-I, the undersigned Bridget Eastwood, beg to certify that I am the wife of John Eastwood; a copy of my marriage certificate I beg to enclose in proof thereof.
“I further state that my boy, Thomas Patrick Eastwood, was born on the 16th March, 1860, in Burnley, Lancashire, England, and seven days after his birth was baptised in the names of Thomas Patrick in St. Mary’s, Burnley, by the Rev. Thomas Flanagan, P.P.; and that my girl, Mary Eastwood was born on the 1st March, 1862, in the same place, Burnley, and eight days after her birth was baptised by the name of Mary, in St. Mary’s, Burnley, by the same P.P. Reverend Thomas Flanagan. I do hereby certify to the truth of the statements.
“BRIDGET EASTWOOD.
“Signed before me on the 29th July 1873.
A. MARTIN, P.P
Hokitika, New Zealand.”
[copy]
“St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Burnley.
“I hereby certify that John Eastwood and Bridget Flynn, both of this town, were legally married by me, December 4th, 1858. The witnesses were Edward Eastwood and Anne Gallagher.
“Thomas J. FLANAGAN, R.C.C.
“St. Mary’s, Burnley, March 1st, 1869.”
“I hereby certify that the above is a true copy of the certificate unto me.
A. MARTIN, S.M.
“Hokitika, New Zealand, 29th July, 1873.”