Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:33 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Saturday, October 27th, 1838, pg 6
MURDER OF A WOMAN BY HER HUSBAND
(From the Blackburn Gazette.)

An inquest was held on Friday, the 19th inst. At the Duke of York, in Burnley, on view of the body of Sarah Stuttard, who met with her death from the kick given her by her husband on the previous Tuesday. The facts of the case will appear from the following epitome of the evidence adduced; -
Elizabeth Tattersall said – On Tuesday night Mr. Parker’s tenants assembled at the Talbot Inn to pay their rents. The inn is kept by my father. There were present Hartley Stuttard and his wife. James Stuttard (son of Hartley) and his wife (the deceased), and many others. The prisoner, James Stuttard held a farm under Mr. Parker. After dining, and having a drink, the most of the party left. This would be about 10 o’clock. I went into the room about half past 10, and found the four parties above named. Robert Lee, and another man asleep, whom I did not know. Harltey Stuttard, his wife, and James Stuttard, were differing. The former was complaining of some behaviour on the part of his son, which was, however, explained. The deceased took no part in the dispute. Hartley and his wife then went out of the room; and deceased went to her husband, who was sitting beside Robert Lee, on the opposite side of the room, and asked him to go home with her and Robert Lee. The husband was at this time very drunk. He told her to get out of the room. The deceased then turned round for the purpose of going away, when her husband, as she was in the act of going, rose from his chair, and struck her behind with his foot. The deceased went to the opposite side of the room and sat down. I went to her and inquired if she was hurt. She did not speak, but pointed to the floor. I looked at the floor and saw some blood, and I could trace the blood across the floor in the direction of the deceased had coma. Immediately afterwards, and without anything more having been said, the deceased and her husband, together with Robert Lee, left the house. They had one and a half or two miles to go. I could trace the blood into the street.
Robert Lee, of Reedley Hollows, farmer, said – I left the Talbot, as described by last witness. When we had got about a quarter of a mile, the deceased fell from the footpath upon the carriage road. I requested James (the husband) to come and assist me to get her up, but he replied, “I will not; she is a _____ _____.” She did not appear to be drunk, and we left her there.
John Spencer, of Briercliffe, farmer, said – I left the Talbot before the other parties, and went to another place in the town. As I was returning home I found the deceased lying on the road. She said, “Is that thee, John!” and I replied that it was. I took her to the house where she now lies, and she died in about 20 minutes afterwards.
Samuel White, surgeon, said – I was called in to visit the deceased about half past 12 o’clock. She was then dead. I afterwards went to the place where she was found, and saw a small quantity of blood. On the following day I opened the body. “The deceased was pregnant, and had not miscarried. The principal would was in part which, being extremely vascular, considerable haemorrhage would be inevitable result. I have no doubt her death was caused by the loss of blood from this wound. I also believe that, had assistance been rendered in time, she might have been saved".
Several other witnesses were examined, whose evidence generally agreed with what we have given. The deceased was 28 years of age, and her husband 24 ; and it is said he had often behaved ill to his wife.
The jury, after a short consultation, returned a verdict of “Wilful murder” against the husband, James Stuttard, and he was committed to Lancaster to take his trial at the net assizes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:27 pm 
Spider Lady

I nearly did the same piece today, good job I looked in before I started!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: James Stuttard
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:35 pm 
Willfinder General

Origin of article is unknown, possibly Blackburn Gazette

James Stuttard was indicted for the manslaughter of his wife at Barnsley [Burnley] on the 16th of October [1838].
It appeared that there had been a rent day at the Talbot Inn, at that place on the day in question, when the prisoner attended with a number of his co-tenants. They dined there, and most of them it appeared far passed the bounds of sobriety. The deceased wished the prisoner to home, which he refused and gave her a severe kick, which took effect behind on the lower part of her person. She complained of being hurt, and blood appeared on the floor. She endeavoured, however, to go home, a distance of two miles, but fainted on the way. Her husband and his companion were behind her, but left her were she was, supposing she was drunk, as beyond all doubt they were. Her uncle came up and assisted her to a house in the neighbourhood, where she died almost immediately from the loss of blood. The haemorrhage might, it appeared have been readily stopped had assistance been procured at the time the wound was inflicted.
The jury returned a verdict of Guilty and His Lordship, with a severe admonitions, sentenced the prisoner to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour.

Last edited by Leaver on Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:26 pm 
Willfinder General

The following information was provided by Mr. G. Stuttard.

Sarah was formerly Sarah Hargreaves and the couple had a son John before this incident.

I also have found the report on the trial at the Spring Assizes where
James Stuttard was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to 18 months. By the time of the 1841 census he was at home again with his parents and son John was living there too. By 1851 James had remarried to another Sarah - Sarah Atkinson - and he must have learnt the errors of his ways as this couple lived happily together for many years and had several children. John from his earlier marriage though remained with Hartley & Ellen his grandparents till he himself married and gave his first son the middle name Hargreaves after his mother.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:00 pm 
Spider Lady

Preston Chronicle
Saturday October 27 1838
Murder of a wife by her husband at Burnley

Yesterday week, an inquest was held at the Duke of York public-house, in Burnley, before John Hargreaves, Esp., coroner,upon the body of sarah Stuttard, who met her death under the following circumstances:-
It appeared from the evidence adduced, that on Tuesday se'nnight, the tenantry of R. Townley Parker Esquire, M.P. for this borough, as was the annual custom, dined togetherat the Talbot Inn, in Burnley, and that the deceased, with her husband, and his father and mother, were assembled there in the course of the evening; the father had attended the rent audit, and his son, although only an under-tenant to him, had accompanied him thither. On the daughter of the landlord going into the room where the Stuttards were assembled, she heard Hartley Stuttard and his wife and their son James at high words; the former taking occasion to reprove his son for some misbehaviour. This difference it appears, in which the deceased took no part, occurred about half-past ten at night, when most of the company had retired. When the elder Stuttards left, the deceased, was very desirous of prevailing upon her husband, who was then advanced in liquor, to return home with her; but he refused, and on her turning round for the purpose of going away, he rose from his chair, and kicked her behind with great force. The poor woman staggered to the opposite side of the room; and on the landlord's daughter enquiring of her if she were hurt, she pointed to the traces of blood across the floor in the direction which she had just taken. The deceased, with her husband, and a man of the name of Lee, afterwards left the house, and were seen going in a direction to Stuttard's house. She was subsequently found, not long after, by her husband's uncle, and three other persons, lying upon the road, about 200 yards on the Colne side of the canal bridge; and upon
his enquiring what was the matter, she said to him-"my husband has killed me," upon which he raised her up, and finding her unable to stand, carried her to a neighbouring house, where she died about half an hour afterwards; the only word she had uttered there being "no," in answer to an enquiry made by the owner of the house whether she had broken her neck.
The uncle, (Mr John Spencer, of Briercliffe,) in the course of his evidence, deposed that while they were holding the deceased upon the road, her husband came up drunk, and thinking that he was about to do something improper to her, Mr Spencer seized Stuttard, but the latter being the stronger man of the two, he threw him down. Witness also stated that at this time the blood was running from the person of the deceased, and the bottom of her clothes was completely saturated with blood.
John Parker, of Extwistle, farmer, another of the parties who assisted in carrying the deceased to the house where she died, deposed that whilst he was standing at the door there, James Stuttard came up to him, upon which witness said-"Oh! James, I believe thou hast killed thy wife." Stuttard replied that she was only making it: and upon Parker repeated his fears, he swore, and said "What mon I do; I owe many a score punds."
William Halstead, weaver, of Briercliffe, who lived under the same roof as the prisoner, stated that on the morning of Wednesday, he saw the prisoner between four and five o'clock; and that Stuttard said to him, "This is a bonny job William." Witness not knowing what had happened, said "What?" Stuttard replied-"I have killed Sally! Oh dear! what mon I do?" witness did not enquire into the circumstances, nor did Stuttard, who appeared very much distressed, relate any to him. Witness remarking to Stuttard that his face was very much scratched, Stuttard told him that it was occasioned by his falling from a hay-loft in which he had been sleeping. Stuttard afterwards observed to him that the affair was "a bonny job;" but on the witness enquiring of him how it occurred, he said "he knew nought about it." Witness added that the shoes Stuttard had on on Wednesday morning were heavy and strong, and similar in shape and quality to those usually worn by carters and persons engaged in agriculture.
Mr. Stephen white, surgeon, examined the place where he was informed the deceased had been picked up, and there he found a small quantity of blood: the morning had been wet, so that a great quantity may have been washed away by the rain. Witness though it probable that the decease might have fallen on the road from loss of blood. He had examined the body, and found a variety of scratches upon the face, and on the fingers of both hands, all of which might have been occasioned by a fall. There was a bruise on one of the elbows, another on each knee, and several on the legs, as many as four or five on each leg, all of which appeared to have been recently done. They might either have been occasioned by blows, or by the parts affected having come into collision with some hard substance whilst being carried. There was a wound between the thighs of about three quarters of an inch long, and extending inwards about an inch. In witness's opinion the deceased had died from a violent flux of blood, and that such hemorrhage might have been occasioned by some blunt instrument or by some such blow as that said by one of the witnesses to havebeen inflicted by the prisoner upon the deceased. The deceased was advanced in pregnancy.
The whole of the witnesses having been examined, the coroner summed up with his usual ability and impartiality, and the jury, after brief deliberation, returned a verdict of "Wilful Murder against James Stuttard,"- her husband; who was immediately committed to Lancaster Castle to take his trial for the offence.

Post subject: Lancaster Lent Assizes
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:35 pm 
Spider Lady

Preston Chronicle
Saturday March 23 1839
Lancaster Lent Assizes

The Assizes for the Northern Division of this county commence this day, at Lancaster, before Mr Baron Park, and Mr Baron Alderson; the former of whom will preside on the Crown Court, and the latter in the Nisi Prius. charles Scarisbrick, Esp., of Scarisbrick Hall, High Sheriff. The calendar contains the names of eighteen persons, constituting fifteen cases; and we are sorry to add, out of so small a number, a blacker list scarcely ever appeared in this county. The names of the prisoners, and their offences, are as follows:-

Samuel Jackson, aged 23, charges with violating the person of Margaret Pollard, at Chorley.
James Stuttard, 24, charged with the wilful murder of sarah Stuttard, his wife, at Burnley.
James Lacky, 28, and Julia Lacky, 21, charged with the wilful murder of Michael Donohoe, at Preston.
William Bell, 41, charged with the wilful murder of John Alderson, at Preston.
Ann White, 26, charged with stealing two handkerchiefs, the property of Michael Thompson, of Lancaster.
John Rawstron, 41, charged with killing and slaying Samuel Tricket, at Newchurch.
John Atherton, 38, charged with feloniously shooting at Luke Forster, at Standish-with-Langtree.
Henry Graham, 19, Mary Stamp alias Mary Smith, 23, and Jane Willian, 24, charged with stealing at Lancaster, three aprons, the property of Ann Clark; and two shirts, the property of Richard Clark.
James Hetherington, 19, charged with stealing at Lancaster, six combs, the property of William Thompson.
Henry Hargreaves, 35, charged with killing and slaying Joseph Taylor, at Haslingden.
Ellen Wilkinson, 58, charged with stealing at Ulverston, a top coat, the property of William Bowman.
William Pedder, 19, and Samuel Rigby, 24, charged with having, in the night time, at Hawkshead, feloniously entered the house of Fanny Hodgson, and with stealing therein a gold seal, her property; also with having, at Coniston, feloniously entered the house of John Slee, and stealing therein a watch, seal, and other articles, his property.
Agnes Hewartson, 21, charged with stealing at Lancaster, a gown piece, &c. the property of Henry Holmes; and other articles, the property of Eliza Wilcock, Wilson Barker, and Ann Clark.
John Maudsley, 20, charged with stealing at Tarleton, a box, the property of John and Joseph Atkinson.
One half of the persons awaiting their trials can neither read nor write; two can read imperfectly; and the remaining four both read and write imperfectly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:47 pm 
Librarian

Ann White- stole 2 hankies from Michael Thompson.
James Hetherington- stole 6 combs from William Thompson.
Wonder if these 2 Thompson men were related as they both came from Lancaster, Look what happened when you got on the wrong side of them eh! 2 hankies and 6 combs!!!! :roll: Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:11 pm 
Spider Lady

The Charter (London)
Sunday March 31 1839

Spring Assizes

Case of Manslaughter

James Stuttard was charged with the manslaughter of Sarah Stuttard, at Burnley, on the 16th October last. the deceased, it was stated, was the wife of the prisoner and had only been married to him about twelve months. It appeared, from the testimony of the witnesses, that the day in question was the rent-day in that neighbourhood, and that the prisoner and his wife, and several relatives, were in a room at the Talbot Inn, at Burnley, that night. The prisoner was quite drunk, and on his wife going up to ask him to go home, he desired her to go out, and on turning round to do so, he gave her a severe kick behind on the lower part of her person. She said nothing, but sat down and moaned, and a girl who was present saw blood on the floor where she was, and on her leaving, she traced the blood after her. Some of the witnesses (one of them her uncke) found the deceased lying on the road about a quarter a mile from the Talbot Inn on her way home. She was raised up, but was unable to stand. The prisoner, who was drunk, was at a short distance, and on being called to assist his wife, he made a brutal remark in reply, and lay down on the road. The deceased was afterwards removed to a neighbouring house, and shortly died. A surgeon was sent for, who found the deceased dead when he arrived, and made a post mortem examination two days after. He said he found a wound on the lower part of her person, and had no doubt that the haemorrhage which was the consequence of the wound was the cause of the death. The jury found the prisoner guilty. Several witnesses were then examined as to the prisoner's character for kindness and humanity. His Lordship said he would consider the case, but he was of opinion that he must inflict a severe sentence, as deaths were so frequent in this part of the country from the brutal habit of kicking.-Sentence deferred.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:24 pm 
Spider Lady

The Champion and Weekly Herald
Sunday March 31 1839

At the Lancaster Assizes -

John Stuttard was indicted for the manslaughter of his wife, Sarah Stuttard, at Burnley, in October last. The prisoner, with several others, had been dining at a public-house, and all had become intoxicated. The wife of the prisoner went to the public-house to induce him to return home, when he kicked her. The violence of the kick brought on haemorhage, which caused her death. the prisoner was found guilty. The judge told him he had been disposed to sentence him for transportation, but in consequence of the good character he had received, and the fact of his very seldom being intoxicated, although he was so when this unfortunate occurrence took place, he should sentence him to eighteen months' imprisonment, with hard labour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:25 pm 
Spider Lady

18 months - a severe sentence!