Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:32 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Monday, Jan 30, 1899; pg. 6
FATAL ICE ACCIDENTS.
A sad ice accident occurred on Saturday afternoon in the neighbourhood of Burnley. The numerous lodges in the locality had during the day been alive with venturesome skaters, and at St. Andrew’s lodge the ice gave way, precipitating four boys into the water. Two were rescued, but Daniel Dixon, aged 15 years, and Harry Hartley, aged nine years, were drowned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:28 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Thursday, Apr 07, 1904; pg. 7
RAILWAY COMPANY FINED FOR CRUELTY. – A charge of cruelty to animals was brought at Burnley yesterday against the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. A number of galloways and asses were in transit from Blackburn to Goole for shipment to Antwerp. Near Burnley, through an accident, they were reloaded, and it was alleged that five asses were put into a space scarcely sufficient for two. At Goole one of the asses was found to be dead. The railway company was fined 40s. and costs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:50 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Saturday, Sep 28, 1907; pg. 10
RAILWAY ACCIDENT AT BURNLEY.- At Holme Station, near Burnley, yesterday, the coupling of a goods train of about 40 loaded wagons broke on an incline. The rear portion afterwards overtook the fore part, and there was a collision. Two wagons left the metals and carried away a wooden structure forming the station buildings. The acting stationmaster, William Pim, who was in his office, was killed. Both lines were blocked and strewn with goods for several hours.

Post subject: ALDERMAN GEORGE METCALFE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:57 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Friday, Sep 11, 1908; pg. 13
WILLS AND BEQUESTS.
ALDERMAN GEORGE METCALFE, of Thursby-road, Burnley, Lancs, baker and confectioner, formerly an engine-cleaner on the Midland Railway, and for some years driver of the noted “Scotsman” on that line, who died on August 5, aged 59, left estate valued at £1,273 gross, with net personality £811.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:11 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Monday, Sep 28, 1908; pg. 2
ENGLSIH ENGINEER MURDERED IN SPAIN.- A telegram has reached Burnley from Huelva, in Spain, intimating that Mr. John Edmund Howarth, mining engineer, had been murdered there by a discharged workman. Mr. Howarth, who was 27 years of age, was the son of Mr. Edmund Howarth, of Burnley. Last December he went out to Spain to manage a mine near Rio Tinto.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:28 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Thursday, Nov 18, 1909; pg. 13
WILLS AND BEQUESTS.
Mr. EDWARD FREDERICK PETER EMMETT, of Burnley, Lancs. One of the two blind solicitors in the Country, who had lost his sight for nearly 30 years, but had practised successfully in the Courts for several years, president of the Burnley branch of the Law Society, and a member of the town council and education committee, who died on September 23, aged 58, left estate valued at £1,769 gross, with net personalty £1,708

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:29 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Saturday, Dec 22, 1923; pg. 5
TRAMWAY-CAR WRECKED.
TWO PERSONS KILLED AND FIVE INJURED AT BURNLEY.
Two persons lost their lives and five others were injured in consequence of a collision between a heavy motor-wagon and a tramcar at Burnley yesterday afternoon. The tram had reached the top of a steep incline, when the front part was struck by a skidding motor-wagon. The impact put the brake apparatus out of control, and the tram rushed down hill for a distance of 150 yards. At a bend at the bottom of the incline the car jumped the rails, and wrecked itself in a newsagent’s shop, the front of which was completely demolished.
A girl named Edith Pomfret, aged 15, was killed outright, and the conductor, William Simpson, who had his leg torn, died an hour later. While the car was rushing down the incline Simpson, with great presence of mind, seized two children who were inside the car and dropped them into the roadway. The five persons taken to hospital were: - William Norris, driver, scalp wounds, broken shoulder, concussion; John Pickles, 17, fractured skull, broken nose; Tom Greenwood, 17, scalp wounds, concussion; H. Whitehurst, commercial traveller, scalp wounds, concussion; and Jennie Eastwood, 7, scalp wounds.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:06 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Tuesday, Aug 13, 1929; pg. 12
“BANK OF ENGLAND,” BURNLEY
The title “Bank of England” in bold stone lettering, which has adorned a small grocery shop in Brown-street, Burnley, for as long as anyone can remember, is now to be removed. Officers of the Bank of England state that their records do not reveal that there was ever a branch of the Bank in Burnley. How the title came to be in its present place, and how it has remained there without interference for a century or more, is a mystery. The property is very old, and has been put to a variety of uses during the last 75 years. It was originally a publichouse bearing the name “The Dog and Rat.” The present owner is Mr. R. Place, a member of the local town council, and he has been informed by the Bank that the title must be removed without delay. It is understood that the attention of Bank was brought to the matter by a citizen who took a photograph of the building and sent it to London.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:59 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Friday, Aug 30, 1805; pg. 2
A blind man, fifty-seven years of age, has undertaken to walk between Burnley and Halifax, in Northumberland, without a guide, twelve times in twelve days, being twenty-two miles in each day, for the trifling sum of four guineas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:44 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Tuesday, Aug 12, 1823; pg. 3
SHOCKING ACCIDENT.-On Saturday last, as a chaise belonging to Mr. Allen, of the Bull Inn, Burnley, was returning from Bury with three inside passengers and one on the box with the driver, the horses, when within about two miles from home, set off at full speed, and there being a great descent in the road, they became unmanageable. The bar-keeper saw them when a short distance from the bar, and threw the gate open a little too hastily, which caused it to rebound against one of the spokes of the wheel. The horses, from fright, then became so much more furious, that two of the inside passengers jumped out; one of them escaped without any material injury, but the other, a mechanic named Cass, who resided at Dane-bridge, near Burnley, was killed in the attempt. He has left a wife and a child. The driver soon after lost his seat, and fell betwixt the horses upon the pole of the chaise, in which perilous situation he remained some time; but at length, seeing what he thought a favourable opportunity, he dropped betwixt the horses, and the wheel of the chaise passed over his ankle, which is very much bruised. The horses continuing their speed until within a short distance of the town, came in contact with a Mr. Howard, of Burnley, corn-factor, who was on horseback, returning from a journey; his horse was knocked down, and his thigh broken, and he was severely bruised in different parts of the body. The chaise was then stopped in consequence of one of the chaise horses being thrown down by the shock, and drawn a distance of nearly 20 yards on its side, owing to the furious speed at which they were going. The other passengers remaining on their seats escaped unhurt, as the chaise was not thrown over.-Manchester Guardian.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:37 am 
Willfinder General

THE BURNLEY EXPRESS, 31 JULY 1897

Before Mr. Justice Bruce, at the Manchester Assizes, on Tuesday, Samuel Catlow, 36, weaver, pleaded guilty to having attempted to murder his wife, Sophia Catlow, at Burnley, on June 30th. On June 16th, the wife obtained a separation order against the prisoner for an aggravated assault upon her. She then went to live with her sister. On the night of June 30th, the two women had gone to bed when they were aroused by hearing the smashing of glass. Sophia Catlow got up, lit the gas, and went out on the landing, her sister following. They saw prisoner, who had taken his boots off, coming up the stairs, opening a razor. His wife called, out, “Oh Sam; don’t kill me to-night. Let me live till to-morrow.” Prisoner replied, “I’ll finish thee.” There was a desperate struggle on the stairs, prisoner making an effort to cut his wife’s throat. She protected herself with her hands, and the left hand was badly cut. The other women also had he hand cut. The two escaped to a neighbour’s house. Prisoner afterwards gave himself up at the Police Station. In a statement he made there he said he intended to kill her. - His Lordship postponed sentence until Wednesday.

Catlow was brought before the court, on Wednesday, and Mr. Justice Bruce, in passing sentence, said: “You have pleaded guilty to a most serious and unprovoked attack upon the woman who above all others you are bound to cherish and protect. You entered the house where she was residing obviously with the intention of murdering her. You might have succeeded but for the noise occasioned by the breaking of glass. Aroused by this she came downstairs and pleaded with you to save her life. You savagely attacked her with a razor, and inflicted such injuries which, had she not protected her throat with her hand, would in all probability have proved fatal. Indeed, but for prompt medical assistance, the wounds she received in the struggle might have had a fatal termination. Your crime is a very serious one, and one, and one which I must punish with a sentence of great severity. It is that you be kept in a penal servitude for 20 years.”

Last edited by Leaver on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:39 pm 
Willfinder General

THE BURNLEY EXPRESS, 10 JULY 1897

THE CHARGE OF ATTEMPTED MURDER AGAINST A BURNLEY WEAVER
“I WILL FINISH THEE TO-NIGHT” PRISONER COMMITTED TO THE ASSIZES
SENSATIONAL EVIDENCE

At the Burnley Borough Police Court, on Thursday morning, before J.S. Veevers, T.C. Holden, J. Hargreaves and J. Berry Esqrs., Samuel Catlow, a weaver, residing in Back Lane, Burnley, was brought up on remand charged with wounding his wife Sophia Catlow, with intent to murder her.
Mr. Garnett, who prosecuted, in introducing the case, said that the wounds alleged to have been inflicted upon prosecutrix were serious in consequence of their location.
Sophia Catlow said, I am the wife of prisoner, and on the 30th June was living at 24 Allerton Street with my sister. I was living there because I had obtained a separation order from the Bench on Whit-Wednesday in consequence of an aggravated assault. I went to bed that night about ten o clock. About half-past eleven I was awakened by the noise of falling glass. I got up and lit the gas, being in the front bedroom at the time. I went to the top of the landing, where I saw my husband coming up the stairs. He was opening a razor. He sounded to have nothing on his feet. I said, “Oh, Sam, don’t kill me to-night.” He replied “I will finish thee.” He then caught hold of me by the shoulder with one hand, whilst he tried to cut my throat with the razor, which he held in the other hand. The razor was similar to the one produced. When my husband tried to cut my throat I put up my left hand to save my throat, with the result that it was cut. The wound bled a good deal. I cried out for help, and my sister, who was in the front room bed-room, came to my assistance. We then struggled with the prisoner, and I got away from him and ran downstairs, going into the next door neighbour’s house. There I fainted, and when I recovered consciousness I was in my own bed-room.
Cross-examined by prisoner: When I came up-stairs, did I say “I would finish thee?” - Prosecutrix: Yes.
Prisoner: It is false.
Edith Rose Aunger, wife of Richard Aunger, 24 Allerton Street, Burnley, said - On the 30th ult., my sister, Mrs. Catlow, was living with me. We went to bed about ten o clock. Before then we saw that the doors and windows were secure. About 11.30 we were awakened by the noise of falling glass. I got out of bed and went to the bed room door and called out “hallo,” but got no reply. My sister lit the gas in her room, and the light shone on to the landing at the stairs top, where I saw prisoner coming up the stairs. He had nothing on his feet. My sister said, “Oh, Sam, do not kill me to-night. Let me live until tomorrow.” He had an open razor in his hand, and rushed at his wife, whose throat he attempted to cut. My sister put both of her hands up to her throat, and we both struggled with prisoner, eventually getting away from him. All of my fingers on my right hand were cut across with the razor.
Mr. Nowell (Magistrates’ Clerk): How long has your sister been living with you? - Witness: About a month.
When you got downstairs where did you find your sister? - Next door.
Was she then sensible? - No, she was insensible.
Mr. Holden: How did you get your hand cut? - With getting hold of the razor which was in prisoner’s hand.
Mr. Nowell: When you found your sister next door was she bleeding? - Her hand was bleeding. It was badly cut.
P.C. Ashworth deposted to being on duty in Padiham Road on the night on which the incident happened, when his attention was drawn to Allerton street by hearing shouts of “Murder and police.” When he got there he found a number of people in the street, and they told him what had happened. In consequence of that he went into the house 22 Allerton street, where he found Mrs Catlow. She was sitting on a chair in a fainting condition. Witness noticed that prosecutrix was bleeding from a wound between the thumb and first finger on the left hand. The constable attended to her wound, took her into her own house and sent for Dr. Harwood. The constable then made a search in the backyard, where he found a pair of clogs. (produced).
Dr. Harwood said that he was called to prosecutrix on the 30th ult. shortly before midnight. She was reclining in a chair downstairs in her own house. She was in an extremely weak and collapsed condition and had a large wound between the thumb and first finger on her left hand. The wound was a very serious one on account of the large number of blood vessels which were cut. Witness found It necessary to give prosecutrix a stimulant, without which she would probably have died. It would be sometime before the wound would be right.
By Mr. Nowell: The wound was an inclined one, and was such as could be inflicted by a sharp instrument.
Dr. Harwood here said that he should like to add that the wound extended as far back as the wrist joint, and that one of the sinews was divided.
P.S. Buller also spoke to going to 24 Allerton street on the morning of the first July. The constable examined the house, which he found had been broken into, one of the windows being smashed. He also found a step ladder reared against the window downstairs. He found a large pool of blood at the top the stairs-steps. There were also blood-stains in the kitchen and the front room, and also outside the house. He afterwards saw Mrs. Catlow in bed, and then went to the police office, where he saw prisoner, who had surrendered himself. He examined prisoner and found that his hands were stained with blood. There was also blood on his shirt front. Prisoner made the following statement to the constable:- “I fairly meant doing it, I’ll tell thee straight, but I did not want to hurt the children**. I intend to do for her, and would have done if she had not put her hands up. I shall do it when I come out if I can get hold of her.” Prisoner afterwards said “I put the razor down a street grate somewhere about Cotton Street. “ The constable then charged prisoner with “wounding with intent to murder one Sophia Catlow, his wife, somewhere about 11.30 on Wednesday night the 30th of June.” In reply prisoner said “I never touched her, but I would have done if I could have got hold of her.” The officer afterwards found the razor in a street cesspool near to Cotton Street. When prisoner was at the police office he was without shoes or clogs, and was perfectly sober.
Prisoner was committed for trial to the Liverpool Assizes.
Prisoner was conveyed to Liverpool early in the afternoon in charge of P.S. Jones.

http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/talkbac ... sc&start=0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:56 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Monday, Jan 10, 1898; pg. 6
MURDER AT BURNLEY.-On Saturday night John Kirby Pickup, under-manager at Towneley Colliery, Burnley, died from injuries alleged to have been inflicted by William Howe, collier, aged 30, who, after the attack a week ago, gave himself up to the police for murder. Howe had been discharged from his employment, and, meeting Pickup, asked to be taken back again. This Pickup refused, and Howe battered his head terribly with a stick and safety lamp. Howe evidently left him for dead and walked straight to the police station.

And.

http://www.real-crime.co.uk/Murder1/doch.htm
February 22nd: George William HOWE (34)
Manchester
John Kirby Pickup was the manager of a Burnley brickworks where George Howe was employed until he was sacked shortly before Christmas 1897. Howe blamed the manager for his dismissal and began to harbour a grudge against him. On New Year's Eve, Pickup was found beside a level crossing. He had been beaten about the head with a stick and died later in hospital. Howe was an immediate suspect and when questioned he confessed. Sentenced to death at Manchester Assizes and hanged by James and Thomas Billington.

And.

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/peek-into ... id=3109987
Railway murder scene remains
"AT half-past seven on the morning of the last day in 1897 a porter at Towneley Station heard groans that seems to be coming from the opposite side of the track. His curiosity aroused, he crossed the rails and was horrified to discover a man supporting himself on the post of a wicket gate. The man's head was resting on the top of the post and the injuries to his face were of so severe a nature they rendered him unrecognisable even though the railwayman later discovered he knew him quite

The above is the opening paragraph of chapter seven of Lesley Chapples's "East Lancashire Murders" which is still available from local bookshops and Burnley library. The injured man, who later died, was John Keirby Pickup, a banksman employed by Brooks & Pickup, of Towneley Colliery. The murderer was George William Howe who had been dismissed from his employment at Towneley, partly because of the intervention of Mr Pickup.

After his dismissal Howe had found a job, which paid somewhat less, at Reedley Colliery and it appears he threatened revenge on the informer. What turned out to have been a murder was really a brutal attack by one man on another. Howe gave himself up to the police expecting the eventual charge would be assault. The death of Mr Pickup shocked Howe who, after a trial in Manchester, paid for his crime by hanging – something 8,601 petitioners from Burnley, supporting their MP, the Hon. Philip Stanhope, wished to avoid.

You will not need to be a detective to realise the two postcards we publish today are of the buildings and vicinity of Towneley Station. The station itself is long closed but its location is easy to determine as some of the buildings, in both photos, are still there and the level crossing, which you can see more clearly pictured right, is still in use.

This picture is a splendid view of Towneley Station. It must have been taken about the time of the murder: there is a date, May 1910, written in pencil on the back. The steam locomotive and the carriages add to the photo and there are many little points of interest – the railway signs, one of which carries the famous legend "Beware of the trains" and the three train spotters on the left. One young lad is carrying what may have been his list of engine numbers, but, on the other side of the tracks, a somewhat larger group of people wishing to cross the line is captured by the photographer.

The steam from the locomotive obscures the station building in the first picture but, in the second, time has done similar damage at the same location. The interest here is in the gate, extreme left, and the wall to the right of it. I do not think this is the gate that Lesley mentions in his book. The gate is some distance from the station and Lesley maintains the injured man managed
to get to Rock Lane. This gate could not have been far from Rock Lane but is actually in Moseley Road. In fact one wonders why such a picture was taken unless the scene had acquired some notoriety.

There is a notice, on which I think I can make out the name "Pearse & ....", on the brick wall shown in the second picture. The brick wall is still there and at the beginning of the last century this would have been a good surface on which to place adverts.

The thought strikes me that, however familiar we think a place is to us, for the most part we are not aware of what has happened there in the past. These events are part of our "hidden history", something to which I may return in the weeks ahead.

Incidentally, the station dates from about 1848-9 when that line was opened from Todmorden into Burnley.

The illustrations are published by kind permission of the Briercliffe Society.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:58 pm 
Willfinder General

The Times, Thursday, Jan 25, 1900; pg. 10
THE MILITIA.
LANCASHIRE.-A great crowd assembled at Burnley station last night to witness the departure of 600 non-commissioned officers and men of the 3rd Battalion East Lancashire Regiment for the Curragh. The regiment is mainly drawn from Burnley and surrounding district.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:09 pm 
Willfinder General

Burnley Express, 26th October 1918
BURNLEY MAN’S DEATH PRESUMED
Mrs Mary Catlow, 35, Hollingreave Road, Burnley, has been notified from the War Office that her son, Pte. (12177) Walter Catlow, 7th East Lancashire Regt., had been presumed dead from December 6th last. The family have had no news of the soldier since July 30, 1917, when he went into action after a rest. He had been wounded three times previously, twice severely. Pte. Catlow was 43 years of age, and was formerly employed by Messrs. Eastwood Ltd., carriage proprietors. He was on the Hollingreave Church roll of honour. His brother Jonathon Catlow, has been discharged after three years service with the King’s Own Royal Lancaster Regt., having been severely wounded in the head. Pte. Catlow was a brother-in-law of Mr J. R. Whitney, Oxford Road and president of the Burnley Grocers’ Association.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next