Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 am 
Spider Lady

Manchester Times

Friday 9 June 1893

Pendle and its Romantic Associations.
By Our Special Commissioner.

Pendle Hill and Pennygent
And little Ingleborough,
Are three such hills as you'll not find
By searching England thorough.

So runs the old rhyming proverb, and as far as Pendle is concerned, we are inclined to admit the truth of the boastful declaration, for though Coniston Old Man, the Seathwaite Fells, Brown Pike, and some other Lancashire hills attain a higher altitude, they lack the imposing majesty of this monarch of the mountains which rises abruptly from the fair and fertile plain to a height of 1,830 feet - so at least the gentlemen of her Majesty's Ordnance tell us - with its broad, steep front, its turfy swamp, its wild glens and wilder gorges, where in days of yore stretched the deep forests in which the swine pastured, and the herds of deer roamed at will, its frowning masses of blackened rock, and its bleak ridges of "cloud-capped" desolation, dominating the country for miles around -
Far and wide
Blackening the plain beneath, proud Pendle lowers,
Behind whose level length the western sun
Dip his slope beam.
Who could look unmoved upon its giant form stretching like a leviatan across the land, or from its summits gaze upon the wide expanse of bewildering beauty that spreads to the remotest point of distance, without a feeling of rapturous delight. "I love Pendle," said the enthusiastic Nicholas Assheton, as Harrison Ainsworth puts it in his story of the "Lancashire Witches," "and from whatever side I view it - whether from this place (Whalley), where I see it from end to end, from its lowest point to its highest; from Padiham, where it frowns upon me; from Clitheroe, where it smiles; or from Downham, where it rises in full majesty before me - from all points and under all aspects, whether robed in mist or radiant with sunshine, I delight in it."
Pendle has long ranked as the Pisgah or Parnassus of the county, and is to Lancashire men very much what the Wrekin is to the proud Salopians. From the days of Michael Drayton and Edmund Spenser its praises have been hymned in verse and celebrated in prose; history hovers about its bleak moors and heathery wastes; a belief in the supernatural lurks in the emboweded gloom of its torrent-riven hollows; the genius which fills the mind with
Shaping fantasies that apprehend
More than cool reason ever comprehends,
has closed its sombre solitudes with the weird drapery of superstition; and romance tells of the uncanny scenes of sorcery and enchantment, and the dark deeds of diablerie practised in its haunted glens by unhallowed beings who were wont to ride through the midnight air astride their broomsticks, and hold communion with the Evil One.
This mighty mass of rock - the silent yet eloquent witness telling the story of some great convulsion of nature milleniums of ages ago, that tore up the solid pavements of the globe when
Earth was from her centre heaved,
extends in a long, unbroken ridge from north-east to south-west for five miles or thereabouts, the whole extent being estimated at 25 miles, or about 15,000 acres; the south-east side forming an imposing background to the Forest of Pendle which stretches away from near Sabden to Rough Lee and Pendle Water, near Barrowford. Geologically speaking, it boasts an antiquity infinitely greater than that of many of the neighbouring hills, for it is composed of those beds of shale and grit technically known as "Yoredale series," which underlie the millstone grit that forms the high table-land - the Pennine range as it is called - separating Lancashire from Cheshire. There is a smack of antiquity in the very name, for "Pen" is undoubtedly the old Cymric word for hill, and Saxon, and Dane, and Norman in succession adopted it; but whether the second syllable "dle" is a contraction of the word "dale," as some have said, or a phonetic approach to the British "dil," an idol, is a point we will leave others to determine, though we incline to the belief that it is more likely to be a corruption of "Pen-hyl," and of this we have an apt illustration in the name of a neighbouring township - Pendleton, which in early Norman charters was written "Pen-hill-ton," and, it may be added, there is a hamlet of the same name on the west side of the ridge of Pendle.
It was upon the broad shoulder of Pendle that George Fox, the founder of the Society of Friends, received his "first illumination." "As we travelled on," he tells us in his "Journal," "we came near a very great and high hill, called Pendle Hill, and I was moved of the Lord to go to the top of it, which I did with much ado, as it was so very steep and hgh. When I was come to the top of this hill I saw the sea bordering upon Lancashire; and from the top of this hill the Lord let me see in what places He gad a great people to be gathered. As I went down I found a spring of water on the side of the hill, with which I refreshed myself, having eaten or drunken but little for several days before... ...Here the Lord opened to me to see a great people in white raiment by a river side coming to the Lord." The spring, which is on the western slope of the hill, exists to this day, though it is more popularly known as Robin Hood's well, but without any valid reason, for even tradition is silent as to the "merry outlaw" having ever visited these parts, yet his name had been given to another well at Salley, near at hand.
In our early days a ramble to the top of Pendle was accounted a brave outing. We have scaled its loftiest summits from different sides, mounting with light heart and elastic step, but with increasing years the effort to reach that wind-swept wilderness of bleak sterility entails greater fatigue and withal a greater expenditure of time than in the days gone by. There are many ways of reaching the top. Our first ascent was from the Colne side, passing through that busy hive of industry, Barrowford, and mounting the steep road by Lower Fold to Rough Lee, so closely identified with the story of the "Pendle Witches," then along the side of the rock-strewn stream, under Whitehaw and by Narrow Gates to Barley; when, after having climbed to the top, we dropped down by the steep slopes into Downham. Another popular route is by way of Padiham and Sabden; thence by the Nick of Pendle and Pendleton Moor to whalley.
In our present excursion we resolved on varying the route and making Clitheroe our starting point. The "leafy month" has just arrived; its siter May is dead and gone; the morning is cool and hazy, but the ascending smoke gives promise of bright sunshine later on. Leaving Victoria Station by the 9.20 train, a run of fifty-minutes brings us to Blackburn; a brief stoppage, then a few puffs of steam, and we are again moving swiftly over the green country; Wilpshire, which is the station for the old Roman town upon the banks of the Ribble - Ribchester, a good three miles away upon our left is passed; Langho, full of historic memories is left in rear; then we cross the Calder by the many-arched viaduct, lofty as the Pont du Gard, and get a momentary bird's-eye view of the grey ruins of Whalley Abbey clustering by the river's brink, and the venerable church hard by in which the ill-starred abbot Paslew found his last resting place; then the precipitous limestone crag on which stands the ruined keep of Clitheroe Castle comes in view, and anon Clitheroe Station is reached. The old picturesque town, famed for lime and law and Latin, does not, on our present visit, detain us long.
Chatburn, some two or three miles further on, would have been a better starting point, but the train does not stop, and so at Clitheroe we take the road, following a pleasant rural highway for some little distance, when we turn off to the right, near the Towe Hill quarries, and continue along green lanes that lead under a hilly ridge for a mile or more, when Worston is reached, a quiet little rural hamlet with, as somebody has said, babbling brooks on every side-
Hasting to pay their tribute to the sea,
Like mortal life to meet eternity.
Near by is an ancient dwelling place, the old manor-house of Worston, that deserves examination, though at the first glance there is little to attract the attention; it is a long, low, unpretentious building of stone with a two-storeyed gabled porch, and has over the door three heraldic shields carved in bold relief, that there is little doubt were brought from the neighbouring Abbey of Salley after its dissolution, though Whitaker and Canon Raines inclined to the belief that they came from Whalley. One of them is charged with a lion rampant, and another with three luces (an old term for a pike fish), two of the quarterings of ther Percys; the third shield having upon it the Royal arms of the Plantagenets. The date of the building, which occupies the site of an earlier mansion, may be fixed by the year 1577, and the initials "R.G." carved on what was originally the topstone of the gateway, but which is now built into the wall enclosing a patch of garden in front of the house. The initials are those of the builder, Richard Greenacres; he did not however long survive his work, for his death occurred in the following year. This banch of the old family of Greenacres had been long settled at Worston, certainly from the time of Edward III, if not before. The Richard who erected the present building married a daughter of John Hoghton, who resided at what was then considered a stately mansion, Pendleton Hall, on the western slope of Pendle, immediately contiguous to the road leading from Clitheroe to Sabden, and some two or three miles from Worston. He was returned as Member for Clitheroe in the Parliament of 1571, his younger brother, Thomas, having sat for the same constituency in 1558-9 and 1562-7, being the first Member returned for that borough, and who also sat for Liverpool in 1580. The great granddaughter of Richard, the builder of Worston Hall, Frances Greenacres, who eventually became sole heiress of the property, married that vivacious gossiping diarist, Nicholas Assheton, of downham, with whom we shall make acquaintance by-and-bye.
Having made this little detour we turn our steps in the direction of Downham. A walk of a mile brings us to the little village of Chatburn, i.e.,Chad's-burne, so named from the great missionary bishop from Lindisfarne, St Chad, who first presided over the see of Lichfield, in which diocese Chatburn, with the country west of Pendle, was formerly included, and in these later days famed for its exclusive limeworks, the beds of limestone hereabouts it is said, being thousands of feet in thickness. It has become a busy place, but withal is picturesquely situated, and the spire of the church peeping above the woods is a pleasant feature; there is a good inn, too, the Pendle Hotel, near the station. Continuing along green lanes, which follow the line of the old Roman road that led from Ribchester by way of Langho to Chatburn, and crossing the Chatburn Brook, entered Yorkshire and continued to Gargrave near Skipton, we come presently to Downham, lying at the very foot of Pendle. And what an idyllic village it is; well might Dr. Whitaker say of the hall of Downham that in point of situation it has certainly no equal in the parish of Whalley. The hall, which stands on rising ground near the road, and half-hidden by a group of magnificent beech trees, is an ancient foundation, for there is evidence of there having been a dwelling here as early as the year 1308, though little if anything of the original structure now exists, and not much of the one which succeeded it, for the centre and one of the wings was rebuilt by the grandfather of the present owner in the latter part of the last century, and the other was added by the late William Assheton some fifty or sixty years ago. The central portion, is flanked by projecting wings of Italian character, running east and west; from this centre projects a bold tetrastyle portico of the Doric order of architecture, surmounted by a plain entablature. Flanking the window over this portico are two ancient sculptured shields, one charged with the arms of the Lacys, who were Lords of the Honour of Clitheroe, and the other with those of John of Gaunt, and which have evidently been removed from the ruins of the neighbouring Abbey of Whalley to their present position. On the south side of the hall, which appears to have at one time been the chief front, traces of the old mullioned windows may be discerned with prtions of the door arches and window jambs; and scattered about the grounds are some fragments of the old mansion, seemingly of Elizabethan date and also some examples of masonry that no doubt originally formed part of the neighbouring abbey. The views from the grounds are beautiful, gaze in whichever direction you will. Westwards, the country descends towards Chatburn and the valley of the Ribble, rising and falling in a succession of wooded knolls, with lush meadows and cattle-dappled pastures intervening, and thence away to Waddington, to Waddow with its painful memories of the capture of the "meek usurper," Henry VI., and beyond to the Grindleton Fells. More to the north are the hills overshadowing Salley Abbey, and beyond them again the romantic district of Bolton-by-Bowland. Eastward, the ground rises in thickly wooded acclivities to the very foot of Pendle, which here lifts its lofty summits to the skies, its naked front all channelled and weatherworn - dark, wild, and forbidding, and presenting an aspect more imposing perhaps than at any other point.
The village of Downham has a quiet, dreamy, old world look about it, thoroughly English like - a sweet fragrance of the ancient days, so to speak, that makes you forget the busy world from which you have just emerged. The little church, standing in close proximity to the Hall, and half hidden among the umbrageous trees, gives an air of respectability, and the little cottages that gather irregularly around, with their little patches of garden in front, bright and gay with their floral treasures, have an appearance of neatness and comfort that says much for the domestic virtues of the occupants; and yet Downham possesses a village inn as we noticed when passing through, but mine host must surely be a loyal and patriotic Englishman, for his sign is a perpetual reminder of England's patron saint, st George, who overcame the ancient saurian. On gently elevated ground, sheltering under a wide-spreading sycamore, at a corner of the road nearly opposite to where a lane leads off to Twiston Mill, we noticed a relic of the past - the stone posts in which were formerly fitted the stocks for the punishment of vagrants and those who drank not wisely, but too well.
The church, which claims St. Leonard as its patron saint, like the Hall, is an ancient foundation, for it existed, though only as a district chapel, before the time when the cunning monks removed their habitation from the marshy shore of the Mersey at Stanlawe to the "fatter fallows" on the banks of the Calder at Whalley, but no part of the original structure remains; the tower is the oldest portion, dating from about the middle of the fifteenth century; it is small, of the perpendicular, with traceried windows, and has a battlemented parapet with a pinnacle ateach angle, and a huge gargoyle projecting from beneath each side. In it are three bells, with Latin inscriptions in old English characters, that are believed to have been brought from Whalley Abbey. The remaining portion of the fabric was rebuilt in 1801, and has no architectural pretentions. The font is interesting; it is of octagonal form, and is traditionally said to have been given by Paslew, the last abbot of Whalley; there are shields on each face of the bowl, one of them containing the three legs conjoined, the well-known arms of the Isle of Man. There are a number of mural tablets to the memory of members of the Assheton family, including one to Lady Dorothy Assheton, daughter of the Earl of Thanet, who died in 1635; and others to Sir Ralph Assheton of Whalley (1680) and his wife, Dame Elizabeth (1636); the Rev. Richard Assheton, D.D., warden of the collegiate (now cathedral) church of Manchester (1800); there is also one with a portrait in bas-relief of the father of the present owner of Downham, William Assheton, who died in 1858, and another of his wife, Frances Annabella, daughter of the Hon. William cockayne, who died in 1835.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:08 am 

Please tell me there is more, they haven't got to the top yet! :(

I have a question, I know families were large back in the days, but surely this was wrong, is this a typing error?

Quote:
The Richard who erected the present building married a daughter of John Hoghton, who resided at what was then considered a stately mansion, Pendleton Hall, on the western slope of Pendle, immediately contiguous to the road leading from Clitheroe to Sabden, and some two or three miles from Worston. He was returned as Member for Clitheroe in the Parliament of 1751, his younger brother, Thomas, having sat for the same constituency in 1558-9 and 1562-7, being the first Member returned for that borough, and who also sat for Liverpool in 1580.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:29 am 
Spider Lady

Ooops! I'd better check the images!!

Thanks Patricia. There are another 2 titled Romantic Pendle.

p.s. I'm not ignoring you. I haven't digested your email yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:55 am 

Many years ago I woke up early one beautiful Sunday morning before everyone else and decided to go for a walk, so made myself a sandwich and a drink, found a map and set of from my house, I think it was about 7.30 a.m. I lived in Ightenhill, so walked across the fields down to the stepping stones, not a soul in sight everyone still in bed, and up to Higham and Fence, on to Sabden over the Nick O Pendle, down the other side, turning right to Worston, stopped by the road side and had my lunch. Then on to Downham, then round to Barley, at which point I had to ring home as I couldn’t walk another step, and discovered that there were no buses on a Sunday from Barley. The time was now about 4.00 p.m.
Not bad you may think? Trouble was I was about 13 at the time and alone. Could you imagine doing that now these days, my parents had no idea where I was!!! I have never forgotten that day and how wonderful it was the adventure, the solitude and yet I didn’t feel alone. There’s something magical about that hill.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:13 am 
Spider Lady

You wouldn't dare today - never mind let your child stay out all day and not raise the alarm!

Error is now corrected.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:16 am 
Librarian

I live about 18 miles out of Burnley now, but when we drive to Burnley and I see Pendle Hill in the distance my heart lifts, there is something about that hill. I once remember when I was small an old friend of the family once said, that if you were born in Burnley, it did'nt matter wherever you went to live in the world, Burnley would always be in your heart, I did'nt understand what he meant at the time, but I do now, and I am sure it has something to do with Pendle Hill, it's enegmatic dont you think. If you ever climb to the top, what a view, I have only done it once when I was younger, but would love to do it again. I think when I snuff it I would like my ashes scattered from the top of Pendle Hill. :wink:

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 am 
Sage of Simonstone

My first 'date' with my now husband was a walk to the top of Pendle. Except I thought we were going to Blackpool so I was wearing my best white patent leather shoes and a summer dress.
That was 38 years ago and oddly enough I've never been up Pendle since, even tho' we live at the foot of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:02 pm 

I lived in Suffolk near Ipswich for a short while 1989 to 1992 and my parents bought me a Keith Melling print of Pendle which was near like looking out of my parents window. I had over my fireplace, everyone who saw it commented about it. Of course, I had to tell them about the witches! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:05 pm 
Spider Lady

Re:email....Oops, sorry Patricia. It appears I have the wrong Patricia!!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:37 pm 

I did send you an email! regarding Sarah Jane Sutcliffe

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:54 pm 
Spider Lady

Right Patricia then! Thought you had moved for a minute but reading again you say lived in Suffolk near Ipswich not 'live'! Attention to detail Melanie!!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:35 pm 

Your forgiven :) :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:39 pm 

When my parents were alive they lived at the edge of Whalley, and from their kitchen window we looked out across the fields to Pendle. I never minded doing the washing up when I visited, with such a view.

My Grandma used to talk about walking to the top of Pendle on Good Friday, when she was young, along with many others. They would set out from Burnley.

Joan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:06 pm 
Spider Lady

Manchester Times

Friday 16 June 1893

II
Downham has a very descriptive name -Downham, the habitation or home under the hill; though but a small place it has a history that goes back to a period before the Conquest, for, if the local chroniclers are to be believed, it was held in the far-off days of Gurth and Wamba by a certain Aufray or Alfred, whose serfs and villains we may suppose, tended their herds among the wild scenes of sylvan solitude on the slopes of Pendle. When the reign of the country-loving Saxon had come to an end, and the adventurous Norman had established his authority, the thegn was dispossessed and his lands bestowed upon a trusty follower - Ilbert de Lacy. Eventually they became the property of the Dukes of Lancaster, and were sold successively to the families of Dyneley and Greenacres, and finally to the Asshetons; the latter becoming owners in the year of Elizabeth's accession to the Crown, 1558, and they have remained in their possession ever since.
These Asshetons have been a notable family in their day and generation, and there are few that can boast a more ancient or more honourable lineage, for though their names are not to be found on the roll of adventurers who accompanied the Conqueror to the spoil of England, they have for well-nigh eight hundred years been gentlemen in character, in blood, and in social position. They were seated at Ashton-under-Lyne very shortly after the Conquest, and from a certain Ailward or Edward, who may be considered the patriarch of the stock, have descended the powerful families of Lathom of Lathom, Torboc of Torboc, and Assheton of Ashton-under-Lyne, the latter branching off into the Asshetons of Chadderton, Shepley, Callyngton in Cornwall (now represented by Sir Charles Dilke), Middleton, Great Lever, Whalley, Downham, and Cuerdale; and it is from this last-named house that the present owner of Downham, Ralph Assheton, Esquire, descends; the sole known representative in the male line, as Mr. McKay affirms, of Orme de Eshton - eldest son of the Ailward we have named - who was living shortly after the Norman Conquest. Not the least notable of these Asshetons was that same Nicholas, referred to in our last paper, who married the heiress of Worston and added that estate to the patrimonial lands; and to whom we are indebted for that quaint and delightfully gossiping "Diary" that gives such an insight into the habits, modes of life, and amusements of a Lancashire country gentleman of the seventeenth century; for Nicholas, though accounted a Puritan, was one of the merriest of merry Englishmen, the record of his daily experiences being a strange medley of sermon hearing, stag hunting, badger baiting, and winebibbing in the comparative degrees of "merrie," "more than merrie," "very merrie," and "merrie as Robin Hood," though what this last stage of bacchanalianism precisely was is not made clear.
We have loitered long at Downham, and, as the day is wearing on, we must now atttempt the ascent of Pendle. Descending from the church, we cross the little bridge below the village, and turning sharp to the left follow a path that leads for some distance by the side of a tributary rivulet - a rindle, as they call it in these parts, that comes down from the northern slopes of the hill; then keeping to the right, we begin the ascent in good earnest, the road leading between thick hedgerows, with abundance of tall trees, oak and sycamore, that spread their leafy boughs across the way, and afford a welcome shelter from the scorching glare of the noonday sun. The lower slopes of the hill are thickly wooded, and in places there is a dense tangle of undergrowth beneath the trees. It is the "leafy" month, and the trees are in their fullest foliage, but there is now little variety of colour, for the bright yellow and emerald of their earlier summer garniture has toned down, and there is nothing but dark green, except where the sun steals through and presents us with a flickering of light and shade. As we mount higher and higher we get glimpses of the open country, and can look along Downham Moor to the upper slopes of Pendle, now brightened by the flood of sunshine, and looking less gloomy and forbidding than when we got our first glimpse on reaching Clitheroe. As we ascend the path becomes rough and rutty and storm-worn, more like the dry bed of a bygone mountain torrent than an ordinary roadway, and winds in and out in a freakish fashion round the "big end," as it is called; now we are striding through heath and fern, anon we are picking our way through the tangled brushwood or sinking deep in the spongy soil, and then we come to patches of green turf and heaps of withered vegetation, the accumulaton of years. With increasing height the openings in the trees become more frequent, and as we pause now and again to take breath we have a succession of charming views of the country that spreads below.
A couple of miles from Downham a path leads off on the left to Heckiln or Hock-kiln, a lonely habitation among the hills; near by is Ravensholme, a farmhouse, the name of which is suggestive of the feathered denizens of these wild solitudes. It has borne that name for long centuries before even the foundations of Whalley Abbey were laid, for among the Whalley charters is one granted some six hundred and fifty years ago by Henry de Cotes to "Sir" Peter de Chester (the clergy were commonly styled sir in those days), the first and only rector of Whalley, of eleven nores of land bounded on one side by "Rauensholme" at a rental of one grain of pepper, payable at Christmas. From this point a rapid descent brings us to Pendle End Bridge, when we cross a noisy brook that comes from above and struggles and eddies along its stony channel, hastening on to Twiston Mill, where, having performed some little acts of industry, it adds its tribute to the Ings Beck, which here separates Lancashire from the county of the White Rose, the united streams shortly afterwards falling into the Ribble at a point about half a mile beyond Smithies Bridge.
Near by is what is marked on the ordnance map as Hannel Cross, but of the cross no trace appears. Another climb and then we come to the cross roads, and taking the one on the right, keep close under the eastern slope of Pendle for half a mile or so, when a rapid descent brings us to a picturesque grouping of farms and cottages known as Upper Houses, standing by the side of Barley Water, a stream fed by the numberless fills that trickle down from the healthy wastes above. We are now in the very heart of the Forest, so closely associated with the weird legends and the witchcraft episodes of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, when, in the over-wrought imagination of the people, these solitary glens were peopled by old women who transformed themselves into hares and cats and greyhounds, and who, for their supposed unhallowed doings, were hanged or drowned in the presence of approving crowds. On the slopes of Pendle Forest, though in Barrowford township, stood Malkin Tower, where Mistress Nutter, Mother Demdike, and Old Chattox were supposed to hold their midnight orgies -
Malkin's Tower, a little cottage, where
Report makes captive witches meet to swear
Their homage to the devil, and contrive
The deaths of men and beasts.
There is a Malkin's Tower at the present day, but it is not the genuine one, for that stood on an elevation above the present building of the name, and the traces of its foundation, it is said, may even yet be discerned.
Looking up the slopes from near Upper Houses, Pendle has an imposing aspect, its massive form and noble brow towering aloft to an immense altitude. Here and there a solitary farm with its little enclosure may be seen dotting the steep acclivities, and a thin, blue film rising in places tells where some unseen dwelling lurks in the deep seclusion, and behind all rise the sharp ridges, now bleak and brown and desoltae, but which a month or two hence will be all purple and red with the bloom of the heather and the hues of the decaying bracken. On the broad peak near the edge is the far-famed beacon from which, in days gone by, the fires have ofttimes flashed the signals to the sturdy bowmen of Lancashire, warning them of approaching danger, until "the time of slumber was as bright and busy as the day." Happily those stirring times have passed away and the tongues of fire now only proclaim the occasions of national rejoicing. One of these was on the 10th March, 1863, when the good folks dwelling upon the skirts of Pendle lighted the beacon fire and in this way joined with the rest of the country in celebrating the happy marriage of England's heir with Denmark's daughter. The last occasion was on the night of that ever memorable 20th June, 1887, when her present most gracious Majesty completed the fiftieth year of her auspocious reign. The fire then was of immense size, 30 feet square at the base and rising to a height of 35 feet; the materials including 20 tons of coal, many hundreds of barrels of tallow, naphtha, and other inflammable articles. More than a thousand persons assembled to do honour to the occasion, and our old friend Major Harrison, as was befitting, delivered a brief but loyal and patriotic address. When night fell in, a rocket, shot up from one of the Yorkshire hills, was the signal; in an instant the torch was applied, and momentarily the flames towered aloft to an enormous height, and were seen over a wide extent of country testifying to the loyalty of the Lancashire folk in this out-of-the-way corner of the shire. We longed to climb up to the Beacon and enjoy the glorious prospect obtained from the summit, but though the spirit was willing the exigencies of time and railway trains forbade. From this high point it is said that on a clear day the stately towers of Lancaster Castle - "Gaunt's embattled pile" - can be seen in one direction, and those of York Minster in another, though, as the crow flies, they must be fully 70 miles apart. George Fox said that from it he "saw the sea bordering upon Lancashire," and if so he must also have seen the "tower and town" of Clitheroe, with the umbraged heights of Kemple End hard by; have tracked the valley of the Calder from the ruined Abbey of Whalley to its junction with the Ribble "on Mitton's domain," and pausing for a moment at Stonyhurst, then the home of the proud Sherburnes, have carried his eye along the devious windings of the Ribble Valley to Ribchester, with Longridge Fell overlooking it, to Preston and Penwortham, and the widening of the river westward of the Neb of Naze to Lytham. Then looking along the untrodden waste towards the north there would spread before him a beautiful panorama, with the ruined Abbey of Salley, the "steeple-house" at Bolton, the groves of Bowland, the wild Yorkshire country around Gisburn, with, more to the east, the towering peak of Ingleborough, its sturdy rivals Pennygent and the lofty Whernside, and on and on to where-
The stretching landscape into smoke decays.
Sitting by the water at Lower HOuses we could listen for hours without weariness to the ceaseless song of the stream, as with musical lapse it ripples along its stony channel, murmuring a soft lullaby to the impending hills, while all around are the sweet, mysterious influences of Nature, which somebody has said that only a dweller in towns knnows how to appreciate-
Only those who in sad cities dwell
Are of the green trees fully sensible;
To them the silver bells of tinkling streams
Seem brighter than an angel's laugh in dreams.
But evening is drawing on, and there is yet a good six miles of stiffish road between us and Colne, our point of railway departure, so we must hasten on. A few minutes' walk brings us to Barley - known in former days by the more appropriate name of Bare-ley, a secluded hamlet lying at the base of the hill, a peaceful spot with an air of sweet contentment about it, as if its people knew nothing of the turmoil, the panting throb, and the sordid ambitions of this busy nineteenth century. Yet withal, even here manufacturing has contrived to obtrude itself, though, it should be said, in a quiet and undemonstrative fashion, as if unwilling to disturb the general tranquillity. There is a mill at Narrow Gates - Narrow Yates the people call it - and there is another a little lower down the dale, with of course the usual accompaniment of cottages for the operatives. The original name of the place was Bare-ley Booth, the suffix being an appellation common to many places in Pendle Forest, and points to the conclusion that it was the site of the sheds erected in early times for the cowherds of the Bare-ley vaccary, the forest having at one time been divided into a number of vaccaries, or cattle-breeding enclosures.
The Pendle Inn is a primitive-looking roadside hostelry, but withal it is a welcome sight after our rough ramble from Donwham, and we are nothing loth to accept such entertainment as the house affords, and rest awhile. Over the way is a more pretentious dwelling place, with tall tress clustering about it in which a colony of rooks have established themselves; a many-wintered crow, that doubtless long has "led the clanging rookery home," watches our movemenets with suspicious eye, and now and then gives a warning "caw;" his note is not melodious, but for all that it calls up agreeable memories that make it pleasant to listen to. Passing Narrow Gates we come presently to Bridge end, where the Ogden Brook, which has its birthplace among the wilds of Barley Moor, and which after threading its way through the gloomy solitudes of Ogden Clough unites with the Barley Brook, the conjoint streams forming what is known as Pendle Water, a stream that flows eastwards by Rough Lee, and falling into the Wycoller and Colne waters, eventually finds its way into the Calder at Filley Close. Crossing the bridge and keeping near the waterside, a walk of a mile brings us to White Hough, of Whitehaw, as it is commonly designated, a grey antique pile, formerly the property and residence of Mr. William Bollard; it is a quaint-looking stone building, lighted by long mullioned windows, with a picturesquely broken outline and of some architectural pretensions. There is a shield in front on which is sculptured the Ryal arms - France and England, quarterly - as borne by Queen Elizabeth, and the following inscription shows that it was built just three centuries ago:-
THIS HOVS WAS BVLDED BY
CHRISTOFER BULL
COCKE AND JENET
his WYFE Anno
domini MDXCIII
ET Anno Regini ELI
ZABETHE regina.
These Bulcocks ranked among the lesser gentry of the county; Christopher, who built White Hough, died in 1628, and Robert, his son, presumably, who succeeded him, died in 1640. Before the present dwelling was erected the place was as "Whithaw-booth," and is so written in a lease of 1466 and in other early documents relating to the Forest.
Pendle Water, which, by the way, has just now little water to boast of, for some of the streams that fed it have, we are told, been diverted for the new Nelson waterworks, and the long spell of dry weather, has left little else than a stony shallow, the rocky bed, bare in places, and where not worn by the winters' torrents showing clearly the stratification, the alternate beds of grit and shale overlapping each other like the leaves of a book. Following the curve of what should be the stream, we come to another of those old grey gabled stone mansions of which there are so many nestling in the undulating combs in and around the slopes of Pendle, - Rough Lee, the ancient home of the Nutters, made famous by Harrison Ainsworth's story of the "Lancashire Witches," standing in close proximity to a cluster of dwellings in a rugged glade at the extreme east-end of the Forest. Rugged and secluded though it may be, the surroundings of this little hamlet among the hills are very beautiful; there are long stretches of meadow and pasture and green acclivities, with here and there a gleam of water and the gloom of wood; while, if we look backward along the valley towards Barley, is seen, rising in a world of silence and solitude, like an inscrutable Sphinx, the mighty Pendle bearing its broad bosom to the winds of heaven, its highest peaks here sharply defined against the western sky and there dreamily indistinct in the warm haze of the summer eve; its slopes indented with the deep waterworn cloughs, and black and grey and brown where the swampy peat and the heather and the bracken spread with relieving patches of bright green, where the bilberry abounds and the ferns have unfolded their crosier-like fronds.
The house derives special interest from the fact that in the days of the English Solomon, King James the First, it was the abode of Mistress Alice Nutter, a gentlewoman of good estate who is said to have been closely connected by relationship or marriage with Eleanor Nutter, of Pendle Forest, (the grandmother of Archbishop Tillotson), who was one of the reputed "Witches of Pendle," and the hapless victim of a conspiracy among the members of her own family. It is a substantial and rather fine specimen of the houses of the Lancashire gentry of two or three centuries ago. It is now divided into separate tenements, and in part let to humbler occupants, and an uninhabited portion, we were sorry to see, is fast falling to decay. The place was formerly known as Over and Nether Roughlee Boothes, and as early as 1465 we find a lease of two padtures in "Overroughlegh and Netherroughlegh" granted to William Nutter and others. Apart from its associations with the alleged crime of witchcraft, it has an interest from the circumstance that, in the early days of Methodism, John Wesley preached here, and in his "Journal" he makes frequent mention of his visits to Rough Lee.
The story of Alice Nutter and her trial at Lancaster for having "practised and exercised divers wicked and devilish artes called witchcraftes, inchauntments, charmes, and sorceries" we must reserve for another paper.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:56 am 
Spider Lady

Manchester Times

Friday 23 June 1893

III
A weird interest attaches to Rough Lee Hall from the circumstance that, as already stated, it was the home of an English gentlewoman - no aged Beldame with wrinkled face and gobber tooth, squint eye, and squeaking voice - but a lady of rank and fortune, well conducted and well connected, who, in the reign of the earliest of our Stuart Kings, was made the victim of a foul conspiracy, and sentenced to suffer the punishment of death upon the gallows. In those days there were few, if any, among even the best eductaed and most highly cultured, who did not place implicit faith in the popular superstition - witchcraft and demonical, possession; no county was more notorious for its witches than Lancashire, and no part of Lancashire was so infested with them as that wild and secluded district known as Pendle Forest, where nearly every ancient building was believed to be the resort of unhallowed beings who had sold themselves to and were bound to do the devil's service.
It has been said that witchcraft came in with the Stuarts and went out with them, but this is not strictly accurate, for the belief in sorcery and enchantment was widely prevalent in the Tudor reigns, and the belief was not confined to any one form of faith, for Churchmen, Romanists, and Puritans were alike the dupes of the imposters who roamed the country. Bishop Jewell preached before Queen Elizabeth on the terrible power and "marvellous increase" of witches; his episcopal brethren gave license and authority to the clergy to cast out devils; the priests of the Roman Church claimed a monopoly of the power to bind or loose evil spirits; and the Puritan preachers, not to be outdone by rival teachers, affirmed that their prayers and incantations were equally effacious. If storms arose and destroyed crops on land or wrecked vessels at sea; or if any one fell sick, suffered unusual pains in any part of the body or limbs; or if a neighbours horse or cow died from unknown causes; or the milk failed in the churning, each and all were attributed to the diabolical agency of some witch or other, and various means were had recourse to by the simple-minded believers in this horrible creed to protect their dwellings and farms and herds from the dreaded malevolence of these supposed dabblers in the black art, such as horse-shoes, sickles, triple pieces of iron and naturally formed or "self-holed" stones, which were affixed to the doors of buildings in the belief that their being so placed would be an effectual preventive against the evils so much feared, and serve to
Chase the evil spirits away by dint
Of sickle, horse-shoe, and hollow flint.
Though the belief in witchcraft is, in these modern days, rapidly dying out, it still lingers in some of the more secluded parts of the Forest, and it is no uncommon thing even now to fnd a horse-shoe nailed to the door of a dwelling, or fastened to a beam of the shippon to "keep out the witches" and protect the family and live stock, or to see a "lucky stone" - a stone with a natural formed hole in it tied to the key of the stable, to preserve the horse from being ridden by witches during the night. Though it should be said that, in response to our inquiries, a good woman we spoke to when passing through Barley assured us she had not heard of a witch having been seen in Pendle for many years past.
That sapient monarch James I. wrote a teatise on witchcraft under the ttle "Doemonology," not less remarkable for its vulgar credulity than for its sanguinary denunciations of the imaginary crime, and when he ascended the English throne he proclaimed witchcraft an act of treason against the Sovereign, and to be beyond all hope of royal clemency, and thus was opened the door for the most groundless accusations and unjust convictions; witch-finding became a profitable occupation, and witch-finders pursued their vocation with unflagging zeal, while they fed and fattened on the price of blood. It was while this execrable statute was in force that the scenes were enacted which made Pendle so notorious, and which Ainsworth, in his romance, has so graphically described. The wild glens in the Forest furnished a fitting background for these imaginary scenes of dark diablerie, and Malkin Tower, within easy distance of Rough Lee, was the place where, it was confidently affirmed, the witches held their midnight revelries.
At the autumn assizes at Lancaster in 1612 no less than twenty persons, of whom sixteen were women of various ages, were committed for trial on the charge of witchcraft, of whom twelve were styled the "Pendle Witches," the remaining eight being known as the "Samlesbury Witches," twelve of them being sentenced to death and hanged on Lancaster Moor, near where the workhouse now stands, on charges of the most revolting nature, and on evidence of the most absurd and preposterous character. Of the miserable victims thus offered on the altar of ignorance and superstition, the chief interest gathers round Alice Nutter, of Rough Lee. As we have said, she was a gentlewoman of fortune and on terms of social equality with the best families in the neighbourhood, as well as with the magistrate, Roger Nowell, of Read, before whom she was brought and by whom she was committed. It is commonly stated that James Device, on whose evidence mainly she was convicted, was instructed to accuse her by her own nearest relations in order that they might come into the possession of certain estates from which they were kept during the term of her life; and that the committing magistrate, Roger Nowell, of Read - an ancient mansion on the southern side of Pendle, on the high side of the road between Padiham and Whalley, and separated from the latter place by the deep gulley formed by the Sabden Brook - entered actively as a confederate into the conspiracy from a grudge he entertained against her on account of a long-disputed boundary of lands. But the truth or falsehood of these allegations which tradition has preserved, it would be difficult, if not impossible, at this distance of time to satisfactorily determine. It is well understood that the most prominent victim of these preposterous accusations, Mistress Nutter, was the original of the story of which Heywood availed himself in his "Late Lancashire Witches (1634)," frequently noticed by writers of the seventeenth century - that the wife of a Lancashire country gentleman had been detected in practising witchcraft and other unlawful acts, for which she was tried, condemned, and executed. He makes his chief character say -
I knew her a good woman and well bred
Of an unquestioned carriage, well reputed
Amongst her neighbours, reckoned with the best.
These trials, as may be imagined, produced an immense sensation throughout the country; Thomas Potts, the clerk of the court, was directed by the Judges of Assize, Sir Edward Bromley, Knt., and Sir James Altham, Knt., to collect and publish the whole of the evidence, with copies of the several documents connected with the trial, and this, after being revised by the Judges themselves, was published in the succeeding year, and in later times it has been reprinted by the Chetham Society under the able editorship of its learned president, the late Mr. James Crossley. Happily with the spread of knowledge and the increase of civilisation, the belief in witchcraft has almost entirely disappeared; with the relaxation of the laws against it witch-finding became less reputable and less profitable. The term has long lost its opprobrium in Lancashire, and is now transferred to a gentler species of fascination which is exercised by the fairer sex without the fear of judge or jury - a fascination so potent that few are able to escape the spell and still fewer desire to do so.
While we have meditated on Rough Lee and its tragic memories, the shadows have lengthened, evening is creeping on apace, and the westering sun reminds us that we must quit the quaint old gabled and legend-haunted mansion and "jog on, jog on the footpath way." Barrowfors is our next point, and to reach it we have a choice of ways; we may either cross the little bridge, mount the steep ridge in front, and then descend by Lower Fold; or we may follow the course of Pendle Water to the foot of Blacko Black How - Bleak How some people call it, and continue thence to the Water Meetings, where a junction is formed with the Wycoller Brook. The latter route, though a little longer, is less toilsome, and moreover affords some pleasant bits of scenery. The sparkling stream keeps us in cheerful compionship, and we listen to its merry prattle as it tumbles over the stony ledges and the moss grown boulders that strive to bar its way, making little cascades of the clearest crystal. As we approach Black How, we seem shut in within an ampitheatre of hill and valley; there are green acclivities, and low-lying woods, with scattered patches of copse; and here and there an antiquated homestead, moss-grown and grey and weather-worn, that must have been in existence when Alice nutter was supposed to be pronouncing her incantations and working her mischevious spells. Herebaouts the artist may find many an exquisite vignette with which to store his portfolio. Keeping along the water-side patrh and taking mental photographs as we journey on, we arrive, at a distance of half a mile or so from the Water Meetings at the Crowtrees, a pleasant residence belonging to a branch of the Grimshaw family; a little beyond a picturesque bridge of a single arch, bestrides the stream, and presently we are in Barrowford, the "little Manchester of the forest," as someone has styled it, on account of the number of cotton mills that have been set up, the largest of them belonging to Messrs. Barrowclough, finding employment for a large number of hands. In its earlier and more primitive days, ere the rattle of the loom and the busy hum of the spindle had been heard in the vale, the people devoted themselves to pastoral pursuits, for what is now called Barrowford comprised the vaccaries of Over and Nether Barrowford Booths. As we ented the village, the eye is attracted by the fine old gable building - the White Bear, which reminds us of the Bear's Paw we saw at Frodsham a few weeks ago, though its architectural effect is somewhat marred by the tall factory which rises in rear. It is of Jacobean character, and the date, 1607, on a projecting gable seems to fix the time of its erection. The church of Barrowford has no great antiquity to boast of, for it was built so recently as 1838, consecrated three years later, and enlarged in 1855. Previous to its erection, the scattered inhabitants would have to resort to their parochial chapel at Colne, or to one of the Nonconformist chapels, and there are a goodly number of them, Congregationalist, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Free Gospellers, to say nothing of the Inghamites, who have their tabernacle at Wheatley Carr Booth, a little hamlet in the immediate vicinity. Nonconformity found its way into this out-of-the-way district at a very early date; as we have already seen, John Wesley made several visits to Rough Lee, and was followed by the famous Yorkshire preacher "Billy Dawson," and by certain Inghamite preachers, who came into the neighbourhood about the middle of the last century. The Congregationalists or Independents, as they were styled, commenced their services at the beginning of the present century in Mr. Grimshaw's house at Crowtrees; almost simultaneously services were held at Barrowford, and later on a school was opened in a barn at Blaco. Barrowford consists for the most part of one long village street, with its church and snug parsonage standing a little way back, and a pretty villa residence or two dotting the grassy slopes. The new Congregationalists Chapel is a prominent feature, its spired tower overtopping almost every other building.
Did time permit we might extend our ramble to Carr Hall, an ancient mansion pleasantly situated, and containing many artistic treasures, that formerly belonged to a branch of the Townleys, from whom it was conveyed in marriage by an heiress to the Claytons. On the death of Colonel Thomas Clayton in 1835 his son-in-law, Colonel Edward Every, who succeeded, took the additional name of Clayton by letters patent; he died in 1885, his eldest son, Thomas Edward, succeeding to the property.
Leaving Barrowford, we cross the stream, and continue past Park Hill (rebuilt in 1661), another ancient residence that was at the time the bitter conflict was being waged between the partisans of the Red and White Roses, and for many a generation after, the home of the Banasters, a branch of the ancient family of that name, of Bank and Altham; then we cross the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and continue along a rural road that rises and falls, passing Greenfield, where a number of Roman coins were discovered when digging the foundations of a mill about seventy years ago, and Waterside by the way; then another ascent and we enter Colne, one of the eldest manufacturing and market towns in the county; pleasantly situated on high ground that slopes up from the valley between the hills of Pendle and Boulsworth and from its highest point commands a wide extent of country, including the Forest of Trawden, Emmott Moor, the hill country of Craven, the valley of the Calder and the long tract of Ribblesdale with, more to the west, the wild country of Pendle Forest and Pendle Hill, and towards the south the high grounds about Accrington and Haslingden. The place has a history, and a long one too, for it is said to go back to the first century of the Christian era, and a local historian assures us that between it and Burnley, a distance of less than six miles in a direct line, "there are more objects of antiquarian interest scattered about than may be found in any other part of England." This is saying a good deal, but whether strictly accurate or not, a casual survey will show the richness of the locality in Roman, Saxon, and Danish remains. There is no doubt the place was a Roman settlement, that it was the "Calunio" of the Itinerary composed in the year 139, and was located on the line of the great military way leading to Cambodunum i.e. Slack, near Huddersfield; and that Castercliff, a lofty elevation about a mile and a half south of the town, was another station, placed at the junction of the vicinal way from Ribchester. This opinion is in great measure confirmed by the discovery at different times of Roman coins, pottery, and other articles. But these are matters into which it is not our purpose to now enter.
Passing over the periods of Saxon invasion, of Danish spoliation, and of Norman Conquest, during which so far as this district is concerned but little is known, we come to the foundation of the parochial chapel, now the parish church, which is believed to owe its existence to a Norman baron, Robert de Lacy, son of the Ilbert de Lacy who came over with the Conqueror; the exact date of its foundation has not been ascertained, but it is known to have been in existence in the reign of Henry I (1100-1135). The building, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, stands upon the summit of the hill at the upper end of the town, and commands a fine view of the surrounding country; it is a grey, irregular pile, built at different periods, and like many old churches exhibits several styles of architecture; it comprises a nave and chancel with two chantry chapels, a tower and south porch. The oldest portion is Transitional Norman, and the greater part of the remainder is Late Perpendicular. The tower is massive, buttressed, and battlemented, and appears to have been in part rebuilt in the time of Henry VIII., when a commission was issued authorising the rebuilding of several parts of the fabris then dilapidated; after this it remained until 1856, when it was again restored and enlarged. On the north side is an ancient chantry that formerly belonged to the Banastres of Park Hill, of whom mention has already been made, and on the south side is another chantry founded by the Townleys of Barnside, and now the property of the Every-Claytons. The interior contains a goodly number of sepulchral memorials. The parson of Colne had a somewhat rough experience in the stormy times of the Civil War; he was then advanced in years, and being unwilling to acquiesce in the new system of church government incurred the dislike of the dominant party. It is said by Walker that during the time of service in the church he was dragged out of the reading desk by two of the Parliamentarian soldiers, hurried down the aisle, and would have been fired upon, but for the intervention of the congregation. The poor fellow sought refuge among his friends in Yorkshire, and is supposed to have died there. The people of Colne do not appear to have taken any very active part in that great struggle, but in a despatch sent to the Parliament in 1642 they are described as "sturdy churls," who were ready to fight than that their beef and fat bacon should be taken from them."
Colne was one of the ancient seats of the woollen manufacture, for in a rent roll of the last of the Lacys taken in 1311 mention is made of the existence of a fulling mill here, so that the manufacture must have been carried on long before the time when Edward III. invited the Flemish weavers to settle in the country. That ancient fulling mill, after a lapse of five centuries, was transformed into a power-loom cotton manufactory; but the manufacture of woollen for long generations formed the chief industry of the place, and Colne could boast a Piece or Cloth Hall conducted on much the same principles as those of Bradford and Halifax. There are a goodly number of old halls and manor houses in and around the town, among them Colne Hall, once a house of sufficient consequence to afford hospitality to the head of the House of Lancaster - the weak-minded monarch, Henry VI. -before he was betrayed into the hands of his enemies at the neighbouring hall of Waddington, and sent ignominiously to London, to meet a violent death; but the glories of the old mansion have, alas, departed, and the building, which now belongs to the Earl of Derby, is in a decrepit state, with scarcely a trace of its former dignity remaining.
We cannot conclude our notice of Colne without a passing word on its ancient Grammer School, for within its walls that distinguished prelate, Dr. John Tillotson, Archbishop of Canterbury, received his early education. The school he was familiar with stood on the site of the present building adjoining the churchyard; it was an antiquated structure of most primitive character, the walls being supported by curved timbers, called crooks. Having become much dilapidated by time, it was taken down in 1812, and the present substantial building erected by public subscription. After spending some little time in the town, we turned our steps towards the railway station, and were soon speeding through the green country on our homeward journey.