Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:09 pm 
Spider Lady

Preston Guardian

Saturday 10 July 1847

Charm Against Evil Spirits And Bad Wishers

The document, of which the following is a verbatim et literatin copy, has been put into our possession by a gentleman of Burnley, for whom it was obtained by a workman employed at his own works. The original is a very interesting document to those who take pleasure in the "folk-lore" of the county:-
"Tetrageam Atonagle."
(Then follow the symbols for the Sun, Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Mercury, Conjunction, Moon, Trine, Sextile, Saturn, Saturn, in the order given.)
"I desire you to the living God Jehovah that those who possess this Paper may be defended against all evil spirits and bad Wishers and the Lord of Glory grant them good Luck and Prosperity. Amen. God sees thee O thou condemned villain.
(Down one side of the remainder of the paper, and along the bottom, are seventeen crosses, enclosing the following.)
"God spake all these words saying I am the Lord thy God who brought thee out of the Land of Egypt out of the House of Bondage thou shalt have no other Gods but me."
The paper is folded to the size of two inches, by one-and-a-half, and is endorsed, "A defence against all evil spirits and Wishers." We understand the charms are intended to be worn either inside the breast of the shirt, in the waistband of the trowsers, or in a belt which workmen usually wear round the body. They are manufactured "according to order" by a schoolmaster in the neighbourhood of Burnley, and are sold by him at the "low price" of one shilling each! Let "Baines and Co.," "put a pin in []ithis[/i] fact," and say whether it is not high time for more rational and effective "schoolmasters to be abroad."

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!