Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:18 am 
Spider Lady

Blackburn Standard

Saturday 27 April 1889

Document Relating To The Families of Sagar, of Southfield, And Tattersall, Of Burnley

The following quaintly-worded document, copied from the original, is a receipt of a legacy by Richard Tattersall, Yeoman, of Ridge End, Burnley, under the Will of his father-in-law, William Sagar, Yeoman, of Catlow, Marsden. Both families occupied good social positions in their neighbourhood, and, as their titled imply, cultivated and lived on their own estates. At the present time the sum of sixty pounds seems paltry as a wife's fortune, but it must be remembered that such a sum at that time would be of more importance than now, as nearly all the requirements of a family were produced at home, and the opportunities of spending were few. The Richard Tattersall mentioned was an ancestor of the Tattersalls who are so well-known in sporting circles, and whose place at Hyde Park Corner was the resort of all lovers of the turf.
Burnley. Wm. Waddington.
"To all Christian people to whom this present writing shall come to be seen, read, or understood. I, Richard Tattersall, of Ridgend, in Burnley, and in the County of Lancaster, yeoman, do hereby acknowledge and confess myself to have received and had before the date hereof at and from the hands of William Sagar, of Catlow, in the County of Lancaster, yeoman, my brother-in-law and executor of the last Will and Testament of William Sagar, his late father, deceased, the whole and just sum of Sixty Pounds of lawful English money due to me in and by the last Will and Testament of the said William Sagar, my late father-in-law, deceased, of which said sum of Sixty Pounds and every part thereof and of all...issues, legacies, bequests, sums of money or other rights due or in anywise belonging unto me as aforesaid, I do acquit, exonerate, and discharge the said William Sagar executor as aforesaid, his executors and administrators and every one of them for ever by there presents. Now know ye that I the said Richard Tattersall gave remised released and quit - claimed and by these presents do for ever release remit and for ever quit - claim unto the said William Sagar, his executors, administrators, and assigns, all and all manner of accounts, suits, debts, bonds, bills, all part and portion, legacies, bequests, rights, accounts, reckonings, sums of money, duties, claims and demands in anywise due, accrued, or belonging unto me from the said William Sagar as executor aforesaid from any matter, cause, or thing since the beginning of the world until the day or the date hereof, so that by I the said Richard Tattersall, my executors and administrators, and every of them shall for ever hereafter be debared and excluded of and from the same. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal. Dated the Sixteenth day of June in the Ninth year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord King Charles I, Anno Christi, 1633.
Richard T. Tattersall. his mark"
Sealed, Signed and Delivered in the presence of William W. Ingham, his mark.
Jho. Aspden.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:18 am 
Spider Lady

Didn't they waffle :shock:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:04 am 
Computer Whizz

Did not they wafflest and acknowledge and understand whilst going on a bit thouest meant :lol:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.