Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:09 am 
Spider Lady

The Times
Friday, Mar 20, 1936

£200,000 For Town of Colne

Canadian Jeweller's Bequest
The town of Colne in Lancashire, according to a message from Reuter's Toronto Correspondent, is to benefit to the tune of £200,000 as the result of a legacy left to it by an eccentric London (Ontario) jeweller named Peter Birtwistle, who died nine years ago.
By the will the money was not to be paid until 21 years after Mr. Birtwistle's death, but an agreement has been reached between the trustees of the bequest and the town of Colne by which certain interim payments may be made if the Ontario Legislature agrees to this arrangement. A private Bill to bring this into effect was introduced in the Legislature on Wednesday afternoon.
The agreement provides, inter alia, for the immediate release of $100,000 (£20,000) of which 40 per cent. will be set aside as a maintenance fund. Provision will be made for an annual instalment to the town from the years 1937 to 1946 inclusive, and after April 1948, the full balance will be paid over to Colne.

For Aged Poor
Our Manchester Correspondent telegraphs:-
Mr Peter Birtwistle, a native of Colne, went to Canada many years ago after being engaged in the cotton industry. He died on April 19, 1927, at the age of 85 and left his property in trust to Colne, the accumulated funds to be paid to the Corporation and to be used for the benefit of the aged and deserving poor of the town without restriction of any kind and in such a manner as would be deemed prudent by the town council. The estate at the time of Mr. Birtwistle's death was estimated at £115,000. He also directed that on his deah his diamond ring should be transmitted to the Colne Town Council, to be held by them in trust, and that the Mayor or Mayoress for the time being should have custody of the ring and wear it during his or her term of office. In 1931 the town council decided to incorporate the diamond in the badge of office to be worn by the Mayoress, and it has since been used in that way.
As to main estate, the corporation, prompted by the distress in the town in recent years decided to approach the Trust and Guarantee Company, of Toronto, with a view to obtaining an earlier realization of the property. The company, however, was unable to do this without approval of a competent Court. An application was subsequently made to vary the terms of settlement, but it was not successful, Chief Justice Rose at Toronto in May 1935, holding against the application because he did not think it was in accordance with the terms of the trust. The message from Toronto yesterday therefore suggests modification of this decision.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:13 am 
Spider Lady

The Times
Tuesday, Apr 20, 1948

£135,000 Bequest to Colne

Colne Corporation, Lancashire, yesterday became the owners of £135,000, a bequest to the town for charitable purposes.
The money was left by Mr. Peter Birtwistle, who was born in the town in humble circumstances. He emigrated to Canada over 60 years ago and made a fortune from jewelry. He established a trust for money to be invested in Canada for a period of 21 years from the date of his death, which took place on April 19, 1927, at the age of 85.
The money is to be used by the corporation for the benefit of the aged and deserving poor of the town, without restriction of any kind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:45 am 

Nice to see the info on Peter Birtwistle. I am researching him at present, as he was my grandfather's great uncle.
There is much more info at Colne Library, where I have deposited work done to date.
If anyone out there has more info, please let me know.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:08 am 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the site Tim.
You found us so hopefully someone else with the same interest will!

I did wonder when I transcribed this article if the same badge of office, with the diamond, is still used today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 am 

I am led to believe that the diamond was placed in the chain of office used by the Lady Mayoress of the old borough of Colne. As this body has been superceded by that of Pendle District Council I am not sure whether the Chain is still in use or if it is hidden in some deep cellar in Nelson Town Hall.
Perhaps there is a willing Council employee who is willing to shed light on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:31 am 
Spider Lady

I'll ask Roger the next time I speak to him. He may know although I think he is Burnley and not Colne. He could perhaps find out though.

Post subject: Peter Birtwistle
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:01 pm 

I found your site during a search for information on Peter Birtwistle (Colne 1842). I'm researching this gentleman as during research on someonelse's family tree I found a Margaret Birtwistle (Trawden 1837) who wasmarried to one of the main ancestors of the tree I'm looking at. It transpires that there is a signet ring with a green stone with the initials "PB" on it. Looking at the dates I'm wondering if Margaret and Peter were siblings or cousins. Margarets parents were Joseph (Colne 1816) and Mary (Colne 1821).
Can anyone tell me if I'm driving in the right direction, and any further information would be much appreciated.

Trev[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:38 pm 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the site Trev.

I have sent a PM to Tim Crossley, notifying him that this topic has resurfaced.as I'm not sure if he has been on lately. He might be able to answer your query.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:03 am 

Hello Trev,
It seems that the Margaret Birtwistle you have found is Peter Birtwistle's eldest sister. She married a John Schofield in the first quarter of 1859. They were living on Albert Road in Colne in 1871, and then at 28 Chapel Street, Colne in the 1891 & 1901 cenuses. Margaret died on 17th August 1911, whilst John died on 22nd January 1922. The only child I have found so far was William who married an Emma Ward, and died in 1941.
William was the recipient of the last letter in the group of letters deposited in the Lancashire archives at Preston. I knew that Peter Birtwistle had been close to John Schofield, as John was a Whitesmith, which may have got Peter interested in the jewellery business that he later set up in Canada.
The signet ring does interest me as it may be linked in to the Birtwistle Diamond, now set in the Pendle Council Lady Mayoress's chain.
Any further information about this branch of the family would be greatly received, especially as it seems that Margaret's 2nd brother Edward (my great-great grandfather) died in rather unfortunate circumstances.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:06 am 

Attached is the Colne Times report into the death of Edward Birtwistle, the brother of Peter Birtwistle, Colne's benefactor.

A SKELETON IN THE BIRTWISTLE CUPBOARD
For the past few years I have been researching the Birtwistle family of Colne and Trawden (my mother being a Birtwistle) and especially the life of my grandfather's great-uncle, Peter Birtwistle, who willed a great deal of money to Colne at his death in 1927. This money was held in trust for 21 years before being released to the Council in 1948, whereupon the Peter Birtwistle Trust began a programme of building houses for the aged and deserving poor, as well as setting up the Peter Birtwistle Centre on Keighley Road. Peter also bequeathed a 4 ½ carat diamond ring, which is now set in the Chain of Office of the Mayoress of Pendle. The research into Peter is still on going, although I have placed a work-in progress piece in the branch library.
However, I thought it best to tie up a few loose ends regarding Peter's brother, Edward, who was my great-great Grandfather. The reason behind this is that since coming to the branch meetings I have met a descendant of Peter's sister Jane, Mrs Pat Colman, from a branch that I had heard about but did not know existed into the twenty-first century. I had checked the FreeBMD site and knew that Edward died in the last quarter of 1895, so instead of paying for a death certificate, I decided to look in the pages of the Colne Times to find out whether there was an obituary notice. Sure enough, there was a brief note of his death, published on the 18th October, saying that he died on the 29th September.
The three week gap between his death and the notice in the paper intrigued me, so I began to trawl through the issues of The Colne Times between the dates mentioned. The reason was there, on the 11th October, my own family skeleton in the cupboard emerged, and below is a transcript of the paper's report:

SHOCKING DEATH AT TRAWDEN
THE AFFAIR NOT DISCOVERED FOR TEN DAYS
THE BODY IN A SHOCKING STATE
About seven o’clock on Tuesday night the police received intimation of a sad and fatal affair at Trawden. It seems that P.C. Stables was appraised of the fact that a man named Edward Birtwistle, well-known in Trawden and Colne, had happened a fatal accident, and on going to his house the constable found the body of Birtwistle lying face downwards at the foot of the stairs with the feet on the staircase. He was quite dead and from the awful state of the body it was conjectured that he had been dead some days. It was stated that his body was not fit to look upon so far had decomposition taken its hold. Deceased had for a short time been living alone, his wife having died some two years ago. The news of the occurrence quickly spread throughout the neighbourhood, and a good number of curious people gathered round the house, which is situated on the roadside close to the Primitive Methodist Chapel. It was stated that the reason why he was not looked after was that until inquiries had been made at Colne his friends at Trawden thought he was drinking at Colne, and his relations at Colne had an idea he was at Trawden. An inquiry at a certain place caused a man to ask another to “come and look through ‘Ned o’ Burt’s’ window, he has not been seen for mony a day.”
THE INQUEST
The inquest was held yesterday morning (10th October 1895) at the Sun Inn, Trawden, before Mr. Coroner Robinson. Mr Hindle was foreman of the jury.
James Riley, warp dresser, Back-lane, Trawden, was the first witness. He said he was deceased’s son and identified the body. Deceased was a cutlooker, and was 49 years of age. He lived alone at 99, Colne-road, Trawden. Witness last saw him alive a fortnight ago last night. Deceased was a man who took a good deal of drink at times. He had been working all the week up to the time witness saw him. Witness had not heard of him being missing.
P.C. Stables said he went at 6-50 on Tuesday night (8th October 1895) to the man’s house. Somebody had seen the deceased through the window. Witness burst the door open, the key being inside, and the window fastened. Deceased was laid at the bottom of the stairs. His feet were on the stairs and his head on the floor. There was a drop of blood on the fourth step as if he had struck that step first. There was a curve at the top of the stairs, and he appeared to have taken the curve and fallen. His neck, face and breast were very much decomposed.
The Coroner: How came it he never was missed?
Witness: He was a man who occasionally struck spree and went out of the neighbourhood. Deceased had been working all the week up to the Saturday dinner time previous to death (28th September 1895).
Mary Spencer, Dent House Farm, Trawden, said she saw the deceased last on Sunday, Sept. 29th. At 2-20 in the afternoon. He was entering his own house. Another man, a stranger to witness, followed deceased in. Witness could not say what state deceased was in because she only caught sight of his back.
The Coroner then asked P.C. Stables was deceased dressed.
Witness said he was, and that his cap was on the bed, which seemed to point out that he had been laid down.
The Coroner: What was the nature of the injuries?
Witness: his neck appears to have been broken and there was a wound on his forehead through apparently having struck the step in falling. He seemed to have been dead ever since Sunday week.
The Coroner said it seemed to be quite clear that the man had come to his death by falling downstairs and breaking his neck.
The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death.”
Colne & Nelson Times, 18th October 1895, p5, col5.

So this is the fate of the brother of Colne's Benefactor. This story is not in my immediate family's oral tradition, and was news to the family I have spoken to. It is probably the reason why they did not know anything about their ancestor, in that Edward's son, Edward was a Trustee at Providence I.M. Church, Waterside, and felt that in this case, ignorance is bliss.