Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:43 pm 
Spider Lady

Express and Advertiser

12 November 1892

Extraordinary Discovery on Extwistle Moor

"The Missing Link"

We are informed that yesterday afternoon, while some antiquarians were conducting some investigations on Extwistle Moor, they unearthed a box, about three-quarters of a yard long. The discovery proved a most extraordinary one. After being conveyed to the residence of Mr. Tattersall Wilkinson, the well-known local antiquary, and opened with great solemnity the box was found to contain a dead body. Great was the astonishment, and many the ejaculations and explanations of the onlookers, all of whom are learned in matters primeval, mediaeval, Darwinian and protoplasmic. A card laid on the body contained the words "The missing link." The mysterious box and its contents were left at Swinden Cottage, but we believe the police were communicated with on the subject.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:43 pm 
Spider Lady

Express and Advertiser

19 November 1892

The Extraordinary Find on Extwistle Moor

Mr. Tattersall Wilkinson writes:- "As my name was mentioned in connection with this 'find' will you allow me to say that about three weeks ago a person locally celebrated for antiquarian research, came to me at Swinden and said there had been found a place where it was thought there would be an urn? I asked the locality, and on being told went to look. Knowing the place well, I came to the conclusion that there was no such thing as an urn there. I was then earnestly requested to dig, but refused. Last Friday, the same individual came again and said 'Mr. Wilkinson, I am sure there is an urn yonder, will you go with me and dig?' I replied 'No, do you think I'm a fool? Here's a spade; go and dig yourself if you like.' I handed the spade and winked at a friend to go with the antiquarian. They went and returned in about half an hour with a nice little coffin. I immediately saw what it meant, and on opening the coffin we found a little monkey with the words 'Missing Link' written upon a paper. The little Simeon is an addition to my natural curiosities, and is now sitting looking at me as I read 'The antiquities of man,' and the coffin. If any one has been hoaxed in this matter it is the one who has been the 'putter in' and 'digger up' of the 'Missing Link,' and not TATTERSALL WILKINSON.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:19 pm 

Brilliant prank! You should post a photo of the article on Richard Dawkins Twitter feed...