Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:13 pm 
Spider Lady

Kris is back.
There are a few pictures of him while in Rwanda here
EDIT - Link now removed as the pictures are no longer on the site.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Last edited by Mel on Sun May 11, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:15 pm 
Computer Whizz

Ha ha got quite a tan there Kris, and do have a shave, you are hardly recognizable under all that growth :wink:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:18 pm 
Spider Lady

He looks grumpy first thing in the morning doesn't he (No. 03). Feel sorry for his gf :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:37 am 
Spider Lady

There is a selection of 36 pictures that Kris took while he was in Rwanda.

Due to a complaint that Kris's holiday pictures are not relevant to Briercliffe, they will only be online for one month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:08 pm 
Librarian

Enjoyed seeing the pics Kris, bet you have come back with some unforgettable memories. :) Loved the pics of the Silverbacks.
Stephanie.

p.s. Humbug to the complainent. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:37 pm 
Computer Whizz

A complaint???????? no comment.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:44 pm 
Willfinder General

Thanks Stephanie and Gloria!

Yes, I have some unforgettable memories and want to return in twelve months or less to check the community’s progress!! Stephanie, I remembered you saying you liked silverbacks and was thinking of you when I saw him, you would love the gorilla trek, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and being so close to a wild animal that size is awesome!! (Photos 1, 3,4 and 6 are the silverback)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:24 pm 
Spider Lady

The link to Kris's pictures is no longer active so I have edited it out.
If you wish to see the pics again then you need to join facebook and become his friend :wink:

Thanks for sharing them with us Kris.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:39 pm 
Spider Lady

Leaver wrote:
Hello all, I am back in Kigali and feel rested after a very good sleep!!! The last couple of days have been spent in the south of the country, Butare and Gikongoro. My mate Betty and I visited a replica King's village in Butare. The village is similar to the cultural village we have in Iby'Iwacu and I wanted to learn some hard facts about the place and people who lived in it. The King who lived in the village was Musinga and from 1896 - 1931 he lived in the straw house we visited (we visited the replica, the real one was destroyed by the Belgians). Before Musinga came to power Rwanda had the honour of saying it was the only country in Africa that was not a colony of a European power (and the only country which did not experience slavery). In 1896 the Germans came and they stayed until the Belgian govt. took over during WW1, anyhow, enough about Musinga.

Yesterday we visited the Genocide memorial at Gikongoro. During the Genocide in 1994, around 50,000 - 60,000 people (mostly Tutsi's) people were killed in the area. The memorial is located at a well known Techincal college, and during the genocide many flocked here to seek protection from the killers. Then the Interahamwe (rebel group) came and in a matter of days thousands were dead. Gikongoro is one of the most graphic genocide memorials, as 850 bodies have been preserved with lime, and left exactly as they looked when the killers struck. Wandering through the rooms at this former college, the scene becomes more and more macabre, beginning with the contorted corpes of adults and finishing with a room full of toddlers and babies, slashes from machetes still visible on the shrivelled bodies. My friend Betty lost many family members during the genocide and she broke down after visiting a couple of rooms, understandable as it must have brought back many terrible memories.

That is all for now....bye

Justice??
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7789039.stm
Rwanda genocide mastermind jailed

Former senior defence official Theoneste Bagosora has been convicted of instigating Rwanda's 1994 genocide and sentenced to life in prison.

Bagosora and two co-defendants were found by a UN tribunal to have led a committee that plotted the massacre of ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus.

It is the first time the Rwanda tribunal has convicted anyone of organising the killings.

More than 800,000 people were killed in Rwanda's genocide.

Along with Bagosora, former military commanders Anatole Nsegiyumva and Alloys Ntabakuze were also found guilty of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, and given life sentences.

Bagosora, 67, and the two senior military officers were found to have organised, trained and armed the Interahamwe militia, which was responsible for most of the killing.

They were also responsible for drawing up a list of Tutsis and moderate Hutus who opposed their vision of an ethnically pure Rwanda.

The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), based in Tanzania, rejected the defence's argument that the killing was not organised, and therefore not genocide.

Bagosora's lawyer, Raphael Constant, said his client would appeal against the verdict.

Brigadier Gratien Kabiligi, the former chief of military operations, who was on trial with Bagosora and the two other men, was cleared of all charges and ordered to be released from custody immediately.

In another verdict on Thursday, the tribunal sentenced Protais Zigiranyirazo, 57, to 20 years in jail for his part in the genocide.

Mr Zigiranyirazo, a brother-in-law of former President Juvenal Habyarimana, was accused of ordering Hutus to kill 48 people in two incidents.

'Principal enemy'

The Rwandan government said it was "satisfied" with the court's decision to impose a life sentence on Bagosora.

The Rwandan representative to the ICTR, Aloys Mutabingwa, said "justice has been delivered" but added that the acquittal of Kabiligi was "surprising".

"The court ruled that Bagosora had the authority over the killers. It is the most important thing... There can never be genocide without planning," he said.

Prosecutors said Bagosora assumed control of military and political affairs in Rwanda when President Habyarimana's plane was shot down in 1994 - the catalyst for the genocide.

However, the indictment alleges that he began planning the massacre as far back as 1990.

The following year, Bagosora helped draft a document circulated within the army that described Tutsis as "the principal enemy".

Canadian General Romeo Dallaire, head of UN peacekeepers in Rwanda at the time, described Mr Bagosora as a "known extremist" and the "kingpin" behind the genocide.

Bagosora has been in custody since 1996, when he was arrested in Cameroon where he was in self-imposed exile.

The trial, which began in 2002, was expected to last two years.

The tribunal, which has come to play a key part in the process of justice and reconciliation, has so far convicted 34 people and acquitted six others.

Twenty-three remain on trial and eight trials have yet to begin before the tribunal winds up next year.

The effects of the genocide are still being felt in the region, in particular across the border in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Some of the Hutu militias involved in the genocide fled to DR Congo, where Tutsi rebels, allegedly with some Rwandan backing, refuse to lay down their arms, saying they are being attacked by the Hutu fighters.

Some 300,000 people have fled their homes in DR Congo this year because of this conflict.

Post subject: Re: Have fun Kris
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:18 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

General Romeo Dallaire is one of my heroes. He had the courage to scream bloody murder, literally and figuratively, about what he witnessed of the genocide in Rwanda as part of the Canadian/UN Peace Keeping Corps. He was forbidden to step in with his troops to protect the Tsutsis. I cannot even imagine the horrors he witnessed and then to have your reports minimised and virtually ignored adding insult to injury of the highest degree. This brave man suffered terrible PTSD after his experiences and was awarded an honourable medical discharge. All the awards in the world (of which he received quite a few) wouldn't even come close to compensate him for a lifetime of nightmares!!
He is now a Senator in Canada....for what that is worth.
He wrote a best seller about the Rwanda experience "Shake Hands with the Devil"...I cannot yet bring myself to read it...but I bought it and it sits on my shelf....lest we forget.