Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Timothy Frost MBE
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:12 pm 
Spider Lady

The brother of Roger Frost MBE has received an MBE in the Queens birthday honours.

http://www.whitehaven-news.co.uk/news/people/1.126011

ST BEES solicitor Tim Frost, who was involved in the setting up of the Speedy Justice system in West Cumbria’s magistrates courts, has been awarded an MBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours.

Mr Frost, 47, who is with K J Commons Solicitors in Workington, received the award for his services to the criminal justice system in Cumbria.

He said: “It’s a bit of a surprise, but I am delighted, and very proud.

“I’ve been a solicitor for nearly 20 years and I think I was nominated for the pilot work I did setting up the Simple, Speedy, Summary Justice (SSSJ) system in the magistrates court.

“Normally we follow national policy but this time we were among the first to try it out.’’

West Cumbria was selected as one of four pilot locations for the new system in 2006, alongside Coventry and two areas in London.

West Cumbria won an award for its successful introduction of speedy justice, which, as its name implies, aims to fast track the cases of those who plead guilty and ensure that those who plead not guilty proceed to trial with the fewest possible court hearings.

Lancashire-born Mr Frost at the outset was keen that there should be some input and influence from defence solicitors into the proposed changes: “The defence community are at the sharp end within the criminal justice system.

“We know in practical terms how our courts work,what our clients are like and how we interact with the other members of the system – the Crown Prosecution Service, the police, court staff, probation and the witness service.

“It was important to be in at the start of the change.’’

Mr Frost began his legal career with Milburns Solicitors, joining K J Commons 12 years ago.

He is the second in his family to be given the honour, his brother Roger Frost, a retired school teacher and former Mayor of Burnley, also holds the MBE.

Also amongst the honours was Robin Burgess, chief executive of newspaper publishing firm CN Group Ltd – publishers of The Whitehaven News – and a former High Sheriff of Cumbria. He was awarded the OBE.

He receives the award for services to the newspaper industry and to the community in Cumbria.

Mr Burgess, 57, said: “I am very passionate about Cumbria and the newspaper industry and I am very keen to make sure that both progress. Cumbria has a lot going for it and I am keen to do my bit to ensure that happens.’’

An OBE also went to Reg Watson of Carlisle, chairman of Cumbria Police Authority for services to the police and Cumbria. He has held the position for almost 20 years

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!