Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Olympics
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:29 pm 
Willfinder General

And I thought politics were supposed to be kept out of the Olympics…

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... 2FShowFull

Iranian refuses to race Israeli swimmer in Beijing
Politics reared its ugly head at the Olympic Games once more on Saturday after an Iranian swimmer refused to compete alongside Israeli Tom Be'eri.
Mohammad Alirezaei was due to race against Be'eri in the fourth heat of the 100 meter breaststroke, but pulled out, apparently under the orders of the chiefs of the Iranian delegation.
"This isn't the first time this has happened and it doesn't surprise me anymore," Olympic Committee of Israel General Secretary Efraim Zinger told The Jerusalem Post. "Politics takes precedence over sport with the Iranians and the Olympic spirit is as far from them as east is far from west.
"My heart goes out to the Iranian athletes. In the Athens Olympics one of their sportsmen, who was a gold medal favorite, had to pull out because he was drawn against an Israeli.
"There's no place for this kind of behavior in the Olympic movement and it's a shame it continues."
In a superb opening day of racing for Israel's swimmers, which was sadly marred, the delegation's three competitors set two Israeli records and one personal best.
Gal Nevo smashed the Israeli record in the 400 meters Individual Medley and improved his personal best by an astonishing six seconds on Saturday.
The 21-year-old, who trains year round at Arizona State University, clocked a time of 4.14:03 minutes in the heats, finishing in a surprising 11th place overall.
Nevo's new mark broke Miki Halika's nine-year-old record and is an excellent sign ahead of his main swim of the week, the 200 I.M.
Tom Be'eri also set a new Israeli record on Saturday, finishing the 100m breaststroke in 1.02:42m, improving Vadim Alexeev's 13-year-old record to end the competition in 42nd position.
Anya Gostomelsky also improved her personal best in the 100m butterfly, touching the wall in 59.50 seconds and finishing in 36th place overall.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:02 pm 
Spider Lady

Just heard that Steven Burke of Lancashire (Burnley or Colne?) has won a medal - cycling I think. Nice result for the area anyway. My big brother has decided he is a fan of the olympics so he has it on in the background while I read my book.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:41 am 
Librarian

The young lad is from Colne, he has done really well because he was only chosen to compete at the last moment. I have been glued to the box this weekend, it has been a fantastic feeling to see team GB do so well, it has brought back pride for my country, which I was losing a little bit due to the present climate (not weather). I have shouted myself horse at the rowing, cycling and swimming, as for the sailing, it shows that we still rule the waves.
China and the USA who are in top and second place have sent over 600 atheletes while little GB have only sent just over 300, so to say that we have landed up in 3rd place on the medal table behind the big two, is a real achievement. Keep up the good work, whether you are sport minded (which I am not) or not, one cant help being carried away with the feel good factor that these Olympic games are producing. :)

Stephanie.