Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:49 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Imindoors won't watch it and I forgot to set the Sky+ box. So I only caught bits of Boris. I like him more all the time.
It's an entertaining programme but I don't hink it bears much resemblance to the slog most of us have. Do you think they do loads of trees and then just make programmes out of the interesting ones? I can't think they'd screen mine for example, no matter how famous I was.
And yes, I've set the Sky+ for next week.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 am 
Spider Lady

I think they must approach the person first before they set people on researching. My friend who lives near you had some contact with the lady who did research for the Jane Horrocks program. I think she was either from a society or worked at the library....I forget the exact details now. She got no recognition in the closing credits though.

It's the fact that they make it all look so simple that annoys me. You just turn up at a library/archives and some kind archivist sits down and looks through the documents with you explaining what you see. I also think that they have access to original material that would not be accessable to you or I.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 am 
Mongrel

We who actually do, or try to do, genealogy, see very clearly how much easier WDYTYA makes it look than it really is: but I expect a lot of other viewers realise that “ordinary people” aren’t likely to get the VIP treatment and expert help with research that the “personalities” get in the programmes, or get so far so quickly. They probably also realise that only quite a small percentage of the population at large is likely to be able to trace a connection with Royalty!

The programmes must first and foremost be entertaining, and attract audiences, otherwise they’d be off the air sharpish. That almost inevitably means they have to be about “personalities”, and they have to produce some sort of “result” – and it all has to be wrapped-up in an hour. So they can’t be a very good reflection of real life. All the same, one thing I think they do very well is show how exciting, surprising, disappointing and emotional the results can be. Whether or not Patsy Kensit was turning on the tears a bit, I don’t think Jeremy Paxman was.

However, the programmes really have been pretty educational on a much wider field than just genealogy, if you think about the various places and times the research has led to for the different personalities. From memory, we’ve had connections with: Gallipoli: the East End sweat-shops: the workhouse: Kemal Ataturk: Irish nobility (and John Hurt’s non-connection with it!): the Krays – to name but a few that come to mind. And wasn’t Matthew Pinsent linked to William the Conqueror, or did I dream that?

What I particularly liked about Boris was his enthusiasm and the way he really thought about the implications of each find. I bet some of the researchers wished he’d talk a bit less and listen a bit more, though!

Charon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:42 pm 
Spider Lady

Totally agree Charon.

I did see Jeremy Paxmans - definitely genuine emotion in that program. Also Stephen Fry - I found that one emotional.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:14 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

David Baddiel's was a bit of a sad one, with the holocaust and everything. And when they traced some of his present-day family they idn't seem to want too much to do with him becase they were very orthodox jews and he isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:46 pm 
Librarian

Can't wait for David Suchet, Love him, especially as Poirot, but his brother is a newsreader as well is'nt he. Jeremy Paxton moved me too, he was really affected by it was'nt he, and he appears to be such a no nonsence sort of fellow.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:31 pm 
Spider Lady

Me too Stephanie. Isn't the brother called Peter?
I can't say I am particularly bothered about Jerry Springer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:49 pm 
Librarian

Is brother is called John Suchet I think, you could be thinking of Peter Sissons.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:33 pm 
Mongrel

In the newspaper programme guide, the notes for the Jerry Springer programme make it sound interesting - and harrowing, as apparently it's largely about records of the fate of relatives who were lost in the Holocaust. Not very relevant to our family history studies, perhaps, but something people generally need to be aware of, and another example of WDYTYA doing its bit for History Education. I shall definitely watch it.

Charon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:50 pm 
Librarian

It will be quite interesting for me too, my son's paternal grandmother was a German jew, her parents sent her to England when she was only 16 years old to escape the Nazi. She lost track of her family during the war, and it was'nt until in the 1960's the Red Cross found her Mother who was still living in Germany. Their reunion took place in Germany, and that was when she found out what had happened to her Father and her older brother. The family were taken to a concentration camp where her Father and brother were both gassed, her Mother managed to live through the ordeal. It is impossible to imagine the atrocities that the survivors lived through. My ex Mother in Law never really got to the know everything because understandably her Mother did'nt want to relive the experience. Thankfully they had a few years to get to know each other again before my ex Mother in Law's Mother died, (my son's Great Grandmother) So sad.
I have managed to trace only a little of her family tree for my son, as I really dont know where to start, so I will be watching the Jerry Springer programme to see if I can get a few tips.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:52 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Stephanie, have you tried this site?
http://www.jewishgen.org/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:58 pm 
Librarian

Thanks Maureen, I have'nt tried it but I will give it a go, I have'nt much to go on, I have first names and surname and occupation of my son's paternal great Grandfather. I might strike lucky, I will let you know if I do.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:21 pm 
Spider Lady

Jerry Springer just doesn't appeal to me as a person. I haven't seen any 'previews' or read any guides about any of the people for this series. I do agree though that info about the Holocaust is educational for all.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:51 pm 
Mongrel

Mel,

this may or may not encourage you to watch but it's what the BBC wants to tell you about the programme: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d7rl1
The preview in today's Sunday Times suggests that he's pretty subdued, so you may be able to put up with watching it!

Charon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:37 pm 
Spider Lady

I am recording it anyway - I hit 'series link' on the sky box when the series first started as I didn't know at the time when Boris would be on. I will probably have a look at it one evening when Lyndon is missing for an hour or two though whether Jerry will get my full attention is yet to be seen. You never know, it may change my opinion of Jerry Springer!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next