Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:26 am 

Stephanie, do you have a place where the family lived before the war as a starting point? If so, the library catalogue on the LDS familysearch site might list records, if you have access to one of their libraries to view a film.

Joan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 am 
Librarian

Hiya Joan, I dont have a lot of info, it is my Son's great Grandad that I am trying to find out about, I have his full name and occupation, think they lived in Austria before the war, I only have his name and occupation because it is on his daughters (my son's grandmother) marriage certificate, unfortunately she is now deceased. I dont even know which concentration camp they were held in, so it is a bit of a needle in a haystack is'nt it? I have put details into JewGen web site but come up with nothing as yet. It is something I have been trying to find out for a while, I get fed up of brick walls, so pack it in, then take it up again hoping for better luck, you never know perhaps one day. :(

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:50 pm 
Spider Lady

Did anyone watch Jerry Springer? You are right Charon, it was not as I expected it to be. Quite an emotional program though I did expect that once I heard of his Jewish roots.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:03 pm 
Computer Whizz

I thought it was very emotional.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:44 pm 
Mongrel

Tragically (or incompetently) I set the VCR incorrectly so that while I was in the Languedoc with my daughter for the last week it did not record the Springer programme! It sounds from comments here as if I missed something pretty good. Oh well, I'll catch it next time round........

Just now watching Esther Rantzen and wishing she'd take it all a bit more seriously! (But why should she?) Actually she's getting more involved as the programme goes on, and anyway it's an interesting story

Charon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:05 pm 
Mongrel

Well, she (Esther Rantzen) got involved at the end all right. Another emotional Jewish family story with Holocaust connections, and she was (I think sincerely) moved by how differently her own family history might have turned out. Worth watching tomorrow if anyone missed it tonight.

Charon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:46 am 
Spider Lady

And no use pointing you at the BBc iplayer! It would probably have been to late anyway. I hope Languedoc was enjoyable and that your weather was as good as I had when I was in the Lot.

I haven't watched Esther yet. I have recorded it, we will probably watch it at the weekend. Lyndon surprises me that he likes to watch it with me, he has very little interest in my obsession.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:18 pm 
Mongrel

This evening's (24 Sept) WDYTYA looks like being very interesting. Here's a trailer: http://uk-tv-guide.com/pick-of-the-day/ ... el-status/

I don't imagine we'll learn any new ideas for our own researches, but if the above is anything to go by, I rather envy Jodie Kidd her colourful ancestors!

Charon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:06 am 
Spider Lady

I didn't record this one but I could look it up on the iPlayer I guess. I have not watched the last few. I saw a bit of Esther Rantzens and couldn't decide if she was genuinely interested in what was being found or not. I did only watch it this week and lost interest very quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:40 am 
Mongrel

The stories and the history that were uncovered for Jodie Kidd were certainly interesting, and the research must have been quite difficult and extensive. But as usual it was all made to look quick and easy. Not one of the great WDYTYAs

Charon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:16 am 
Spider Lady

Was the David Suchet program any good? I missed that one too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:51 am 
Mongrel

David Suchet was rather low-key, though he was fluent and seemed interested. The research in the programme was quite impressive: some nice finds and some surprises. But overall I felt it didn't quite hit the highest levels - watch if you have a spare hour.

Charon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:41 pm 
Librarian

Got round to watching David Suchet on WDYTYA last night, I thought it was the best one of the present series, lots of twists and turns, he also seems like a really nice bloke too, he struck me as being really genuine in wanting to find out about his ancestors. 10/10.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:45 pm 
Spider Lady

Any thoughts on Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen before it goes to air?

(I miffed about David Suchet now)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:52 pm 
Computer Whizz

It's on tonight instead of wednesday---don't miss it, bet it will be good. I enjoyed Jodie Kidd last week.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next