Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:38 pm 
Librarian

If you could have five people to a dinner party, who would you choose? the choice could be people from history, people still living or any fictional characters, I am going to think about my guest list as there are so many I could choose from.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:07 pm 
Spider Lady

Ooooh, good question!! I need to have a think about this. Do you want reasons too?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:21 pm 
Librarian

Yes please.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:02 pm 
Librarian

Me and hubby been out for a curry tonight and we have decided that these are our dinner guests, could have done with more than five each, but here goes;

My dinner guests are;
Stephen Fry-(If you have ever watched QI you will know why) Writer, Actor, Comedian, doer of good works, a very clever funny man.
Hercule Poirot-(because of his little grey cells) Fictional Belgium Detective.
Jo Brand-(naughty but nice) Comedienne, Ex Pyschiciatric Nurse, very witty, never short of anything to say.
HG Wells-(might be able to tell me how to make a time machine) English Science Fiction Writer, Humatarian, supporter of Womens Rights.
Emmeline Pankhurst-(one of my heroines) Leading British Womens Rights Activists, the leader of the Suffragette movement.

My Hubby's dinner guests are:
Thora Hird-(supremely funny and witty) Actress, Comedienne, also a Lancashire Lass to the end.
Paul Newman-(He enjoyed fishing and a beer)Actor, Philanthropist, was a mans man with no edge to him.
Inspector Morse-(Wants his Jag) Fictional Detective, A grouchy but cultured police detective.
Frank Whittle-(Made it a small world) Inventor of the Jet Engine, founder of the jet age, which has allowed millions of people to do something that was barely thinkable just 70 years ago.
Dawn French-(Cuddly) Comedy actress, a comedy Godess, and beautiful with it.

Think we will have a really good time, what do you think? wish it could happen for real, you never knowwwwwwww
Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:01 am 
Spider Lady

Ooh Stephanie, we appear to think along the same lines. I had Jo Brand shortlisted and also thought about Hercule and Fry though they did not make it to the table. I also toyed with having Owd Tat there but decided against it.

I opted for -
Agatha Christie, being the author of the little grey cells. I have always been a fan of her books.
Heston Bloominthingy, I love the way he mixes science with cookery and someone has to cook the dinner!
Robert Munn, I'd like to meet the chap who registered so many of the events in my family tree. I'm not aware of a registrar having so much fame in any other area.
Humphrey Lyttleton, a great all-rounder. He could provide a little humour as well as entertainment.
Lyndon. It just wouldn't be the same without him by my side.

I cannot remember Lyndons list though Neil Armstrong was there on account of his avoiding the public eye.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:02 am 
Computer Whizz

"Lyndon. It just wouldn't be the same without him by my side."
Ah bless--I think is the term to be used there :wink:

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:48 am 
Genealogist in Waiting

Oh, I have often thought of this question......I had to rethink my list because you wouldn't have heard of a few of my picks, as they hail from this side of the Atlantic and probably aren't famous over where you are.
So......Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward for the sublime conversation...and to keep each other company :roll:
Joyce Grenfell.....to lead us all in writing funny songs and stories :lol:
Jamie Oliver....to cook - and because I would pick him as my 'boy toy' :D
and, finally, and perhaps bizarrely, Malcolm Muggeridge, so I have someone to argue with! :twisted:
Loverly!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:14 am 
Sage of Simonstone

Sarah Jane Leaver - nee Pilkington. She was the one who fascinated me so much I started my tree in earnest.
John Thaw - I never saw him in something I didn't like and he always came across in interviews as a really interesting man.
David Attenborough - such a nice man, but so humble.
Lord Denning - as a law student I found his judgements so beautifully worded and easy to follow.
My dad - for his wit. And because I miss him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:24 am 
Computer Whizz

After a great deal of thought and changes of mind.
1) The person who went round Briercliffe and Extwistle writing down the 1841 census, he must have seen some sights, and could give a wonderful insight as to how they lived.
2) Any Pendle witch, to find out the type of person they were to have been treated as they did.
3) Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon, to speak to the following.
4) Christopher Columbus, one of the first explorers. I think the conversation between him and Neil Armstrong would be fascinating to listen to. They would surely be able to relate to each other, but how would Chrisopher Columbus imagine space flight.
5) Going to be soppy like Mel and say my O.H.

I will no doubt change my mind on this again.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.