Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:43 pm 
Natural Geek

I can understand this one, I think. If the canteen workers are getting continually more and more tired and peed off by stupid workers making cracks about the fact that the food has the word 'dick' in the title, then why not treat them like the kids they clearly are by changing its name to something they won't find so hilarious?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:04 am 
Spider Lady

Stephen, I edited your post. We get all age groups popping in. Hope you don't mind.

I agree to some extent with what you say about stupid workers being treated like kids but have these wise cracks not been around for generations?

Mind you, jokes do get boring when you hear them too often. My dad tells me the same thing every time I ask to speak to my mum on the phone and then laughs and expects you to laugh with him.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:45 am 
Willfinder General

Now Big Brother targets helpful parents as one in four Britons are to be vetted for giant child protection database

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0Qmn5C0SA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:43 pm 
Librarian

I'm speechless (nearly) which for me is a first, pity 'nobody' did anything to help baby P eh! They want to get their priorities right!!!!

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:58 pm 
Willfinder General

It’s crazy. I was thinking about Maureen (Portia) when I was reading this. Maureen’s daughter runs a nursery for small children and both Maureen and her Husband help with the business. If this article is correct, then they will have to pay GBP 200 if they both want to be cleared to work with children.

There is more about this in the Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 829913.ece

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:51 pm 
Willfinder General

SAS trains Libyan troops
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... roops.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:51 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Weve already got our clearances Kris -for about 10 years now. Everyone who works with children in the nursery has to have them.
I don't have a problem with that, it's the idea of extending it to the wider population that seems disproportionate to me. Why don't we all hand over our children to Nanny Britain at birth and let the government bring them up in the one size fits all manner they think best.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:17 am 
Willfinder General

Agreed.

This paragraph is a concern as well.

From the Times: ‘Controversially, complaints or concerns from colleagues or members of the public that fall short of prosecutions may be held on an individual’s file, which will be available for viewing by any employer or voluntary group with which the person might work.’
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 829913.ece

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:03 pm 
Natural Geek

It's an odd one, this - as far as John Humphrys explained it the other day

1. I take my kids to football club. I don't need a 'clearance' for that.
2. I take my kids and their mates to football club. I have met their parents and discussed the matter and they are happy for me to do so. I don't need a 'clearance' for that.
3. I take my kids and their mates to football club. The club phones up and said "Oh! William's parents can't bring him this week. Can you pick him up?" and now a clearance is needed as the arrangement has been made through the club.

Now, surely scenarios 2 and 3 really aren't that different?

I do support CRB checks for people who take care of kids 'in loco parentis' as it were, but I do worry about the level to which it should be enforced...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 pm 

I'm not adverse to CRB checks, quite the opposite. As a Scout leader I have one, which I'm happy to have, no problem with that, but I have a Beaver Scout who doesn't live locally anymore but still continues to attend our unit, so, of course, his mother waits as there isn't any point in going home. Now, as she is waiting she occasionally helps with crafty bits, so now has to be CRB checked and fill an application form to be an Occasional Helper with Scouts!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:28 am 
Spider Lady

I was discussing this with my social worker friend yesterday.
It maddens me that everyone has to be suspected because of a few and have to go through such procedures. I agree that those running and playing a major part in organisations for children should be checked. My friends hubby has had to have this check done because he will be giving an astronomy talk to young people soon. It's not the talking to them that is the problem apparently, it is because he is going to be showing them images on the internet too. He will be supervised while giving the talk so why should he have to have this check. It's all going a little too far I think.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:47 pm 
Natural Geek

Agreed - if the person 'interacting with children' is themselves supervised, then to suggest a check should be made is pretty daft!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:12 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

We had a letter from our trade association this week explaining more about these new checks. apparently they're not instead of the CRB checks they're AS WELL AS!
What baffles me is that they don't have to be renewed for each new/ additional employment, they're personal to you. So if you, say, do a school run and get one, then give it up and take on something else that needs one, you've already got one. Sounds a bit like a passport.
BUT. Say between the one job and the other you get some sort of conviction, the second organisation wouldn't know and you've have your bit of paper saying you were an ok person.
Sounds dangerous to me and I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:42 pm 

To be perfectly honest a CRB means diddly squat. As someone pointed out to me once when we were having a discussion about how many we had, (I also have one as a Guide Section Helper) it just means you haven't been caught yet! So unfortunately it's given a lot of people a false sense of security, 'That's okay they've got a CRB'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:18 am 
Spider Lady

Agree with you both there. I raised the point of convictions after receiving this 'pass' with my SW friend. She said she thought they will have to renewed every one in a while.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next