Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:25 am 
Spider Lady

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... eists.html

"Singing from the same hymn sheet" may upset atheists

Town hall staff have been banned from using the phrase 'singing from the same hymn sheet' because it could upset atheists.

By Chris Hastings, Public Affairs Editor

Salisbury council has told employees that the religious connotations of the saying, which has been in common parlance for centuries, can offend non-believers.

The same authority has also instructed officials not to use the phrase 'colour blind' but instead to refer to a person as having 'colour visual impairment'.

Other councils have instructed staff to be careful about using the word 'black' as well as 'British', because they could upset people, while the phrase 'West Indian' should also be avoided.

The instructions, which have been criticised for showing excessive political correctness, come a week after The Sunday Telegraph revealed that several authorities had banned basic Latin phrases such as 'ad hoc', 'etc' and 'status quo' because they were too complicated for people to understand.

The advice from Salisbury council says: "Avoid office and council jargon wherever possible, including phrases such as 'moving forward' and 'singing from the same hymn sheet'.

Say what you mean, so instead of 'moving forward' try 'in the future'. Not everyone understand these phrases – some can actually cause offence (what would an atheist want with your hymn sheet?)."

Keith Porteous Wood, executive director of the National Secular Society, last night condemned the move.

"I think it has gone far too far," he said. "The phrase has been around for a very long time and is very common. I use it myself. Of course we should all avoid phrases which can cause unnecessary offence, but this isn't one of them."

Colin Slee, the Dean of Southwark, last night accused the council of excessive politically correctness.

"This is complete nonsense and yet another example of political correctness being dictated by someone who doesn't understand religious faith," he said.

The Royal National Institute for the Blind said it avoided the term "visual impairment'; a spokesman said: "We always use the terms 'blind' and 'partially sighted' when talking to members of the public."

Other local authorities across the country have also declared war on particular words and phrases which they consider racist, sexist, nationalistic or homophobic.

Caerphilly council in Wales has asked staff to be careful about using the phrase British, because "it implies a false sense of unity" and is upsetting to many people in Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

The council's written guidance to staff states: "Many would argue that one way to denote ethnic minority people in this country would be to describe them as 'British Asians', 'Chinese British' etc.

One advantage is that by referring to two ethnicities it avoids any suggestion that a person has to choose between them for identity.

However, the idea of 'British' implies a false sense of unity – many Scots, Welsh and Irish resist being called British and the land denoted by the term contains a wide variety of cultures, languages and religions."

In guidance on the issue of race, the same council has asked staff to be "sensitive to the many negative connotations relating to the word 'black' in the English language (black leg, black list, black spot etc)"

Watford council has banned the term West Indian because "it's inappropriate and never used in the Caribbean". Yet the Caribbean cricket team is known as the West Indies and dozens of British organisations are proud to advertise their West Indian credentials in their names.

Andrew Roberts, the broadcaster and historian said: "The British West Indian regiment won 19 military crosses during World War One. It is a slur on their memory that the title 'West Indian' should be singled out by some know-nothing, politically-correct bureaucrat."

Kathy Lette, the author and broadcaster, said: "Political correction is a vowel cancer eating away at the English language. The PC police are not just washing our mouths out with soap, they're dipping our mother tongue in disinfectant - and the taste is terrible.

Watford council has also told staff to replace 'able-bodied' with 'non-disabled', and not to use the term 'homosexual'. It prefers the description 'gay man'.

Several councils including Amber Valley, Broadland, Salisbury and North Yorkshire have banned words and phrases they consider sexist and which exclude 'members of our audience'.

Salisbury has told staff to avoid "gender-specific roles" such as 'cleaning lady' and 'ten man team'. It prefers the descriptions 'cleaner' and 'ten strong team'. Amber Valley has banned such terms as 'man made', 'man in the street', 'manning' and 'one man show', replacing them with 'synthetic', 'people in general', 'staffing' and 'one person show'. Broadland council in Norfolk has replaced 'housewife' with 'homemaker' and substituted 'partner' for 'husband' and 'wife'.

Many councils say they are instituting 'plain English' policies to make their communications easier to understand.

Poole council said it had spent an undisclosed sum on a "successful plain English day last year" and was now booking additional sessions.

The plain English message seems to be struggling to hit home however.

In reply to The Sunday Telegraph's Freedom of Information request, Poole council stated that it was booking the extra sessions due to "strong demand from our service functions". The council also said it had issued a better English guide "to all our communication network facilitators".

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:45 pm 
Librarian

Who are all these faceless 'PC' people, they are eating away at our heritage and our way of life, it just gets my back up. :x :x

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:50 pm 
Willfinder General

"Singing from the same hymn sheet" may upset atheists

I consider myself to be an atheist and this term doesn’t upset me. Actually it’s this PC nonsense that makes me angry.

I imagine there will be no more Christmas trees, Christmas carols or nativity scenes in a few years, yet we will be made to celebrate other religious festivals like Ramadan in the name of multicultural diversity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:04 pm 
Computer Whizz

Kris, I too class myself as an atheist, and I find nothing offensive at all in the phrase.
I think the whole system is getting beyond the joke-----I thought we weren't supposed to term people as "black" nowadays, but there is a lot being said about a certain African/American black.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:15 pm 
Willfinder General

I totally agree. Bah Bah Black sheep is out (now its rainbow sheep), but the National Black Police Association is okay.

Here are some other PC organisations.

- National Black Police Association
- The Society of Asian Lawyers
- The Asian Business Federation
- The British Association of Physicians of Indian Origin
- The Association of Muslim Lawyers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:54 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Mel wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/3406276/Singing-from-the-same-hymn-sheet-may-upset-atheists.html

Poole council stated that it was booking the extra sessions due to "strong demand from our service functions". The council also said it had issued a better English guide "to all our communication network facilitators".

Obviously the person who made this statement will be firston the list for the next plain English course.
And if not, why not?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:47 pm 
Librarian

What I want to know is, if someone is half black and half white, why are they referred to as black and not white, the new president of America Barack Obama has a white Mum and a black Father, but everyone is saying 'The first black man to be President of America'.
What about all the hoohaa on Strictly Come Dancing the other week, because two black contestants were voted for the dance off, nobody said anything when two white contestants were voted for the dance off, I vote for who I enjoy watching the most and who has performed to the best of their ability, they could be sky blue pink with yellow dots for all I care. The people whom shout 'racism' create racism as far as I am concerned, besides I think racism works both ways.

What about people who wear glasses are they 'specky four eyes'.
Overweight people called 'fatty'.
Bald people called 'slap heads'.
Homosexuals called 'whoofters'.
etc etc.

Just imagine what the world would be like if all the people who were 'different' from the 'norm' started shouting about how unfair it all is on them.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:07 pm 
Willfinder General

Exactly, Obama is half-caste (is that PC?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:08 am 
Spider Lady

I'm glad it's not just me that finds the PC brigade to be the offensive party and not their policies. I wonder who these people are?

We don't even get English man, Irish man and Scottish man jokes anymore because they took the mick out of Paddy!

There are days when I really do not like this country we call Great Britain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:56 am 
Willfinder General

Jokes are offensive, but segregated swimming is okay.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -pool.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:48 pm 
Librarian

That to me is racist. How disgraceful, where are the 'PC' brigade now, hiding under their stones probably.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:18 pm 
Librarian

I am putting this under the same heading because I found it so upsetting when I read it in my newspaper this morning, the cruelty is unbelievable.

A 17 month old baby boy suffered eight months of abuse and beatings at the hands of his mother's sadistic boyfriend. This child was on the child protection register and being seen 60 times by health and social workers from Haringey council.
The baby was found dead in his blood spattered cot two days after a doctor failed to spot he had a broken back and ribs.
He died from a killer punch in the face, swallowing a tooth. He had more than 50 injuries, including 15 to his mouth.
The Old Bailey heared that the little boy had a terrible life of pain and fear. His golden, curly locks were shaved off, his eyes were blank.
Social worker Maria Ward visited twice a week but the hulking brute of a boyfriend always hid. She saw the boy headbutting the carpet. It was later discovered that the boyfriend would click his fingers as he did for his rottweiler dog to make the boy put his head down in fear of another beating.

The sad story goes into a lot more graphic detail, I found it heartbreaking to read, that poor little mite was so let down by the authorities, and the excuse of a woman called his mother, your right the world has gone mad. You cant call them animals, because animals care for their young a lot better than 'these', I dont know what to call them, but I cant put it on here exactly what I do think of them.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:09 pm 
Computer Whizz

I just cannot put into words what I feel about this, it is heartbreaking to think it went on.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:28 am 
Spider Lady

It has been a really tragic case hasn't it. What kind of person inflicts such horror on a child.
I don't think social workers make enough visits or maybe the visits are not long enough to see the real 'home'. The situation would be quite false when you think, probably sitting round drinking tea and chatting while the child has a bit of real attention. These monsters are unlikely to treat a child in a way that was obviously normal with a social worker watching on are they?

Did the Dr's not see anything to suggest unnecessary trauma? I have not read all of the detail of the case, I find it far too disturbing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm 
Librarian

Baby P visited St Anne's hospital, allegedly suffering from fractured ribs and broken back, paralysing him from the waist down. DR SABAH AL-ZAYYAT notes bruises to the body and face but does not carry out a full examination because baby P is "miserable and cranky". In evidence, she insits "he didn't look any different from a child his age with a common cold".

This DOCTOR????? unbelievably had 20 years Paediatric experience.

Stephanie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next