Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Up the Clarets.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:41 pm 
Librarian

We saw Yoko Ono while we were there, she had come out of The Dakota apartment building in Manhattan upper west side opposite Central Park, we actually looked at each other, think she was willing me not to ask for her autograph, as of course I didn't, she is only tiny, I'm only 5' 1" but she was smaller than me. A very surreal place New York, because of course a lot of places you recognise from films and telly programmes. Steam really does come up through the grids just like in the films. :)

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:36 pm 

This isn't anything to do with the clarets, just following the New York thread. I visited a year ago when my niece and her husband lived in Manhattan. My brother flew over from England at the same time and we had a mini family reunion. We didn't go to Ellis Island, would have loved to but my family isn't into family history. We took the ferry to New Jersey one day and on the way back sailed toward the Statue of Liberty and past Ellis Island. It was a wonderful feeling, thinking about the thousands who had a similar approach.

We visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Guggenheim Gallery, the UN building, walked in Central Park. It was a fabulous week.

Joan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:31 am 
Spider Lady

Wouldn't you just love to take a holiday and be able to combine your interest. I don't think any of us have a partner who is also interested in genealogy. Lyndon gets a little frustrated with me sometimes.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:09 pm 
Spider Lady

Alastair Campbell is a big Clarets fan then, despite being born over the border! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:10 pm 

:D Trying to keep my USA relatives up to date. Can anyone tell me why it's called Turf Moor and when was the first games were officially played?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:39 pm 
Willfinder General

hannah wrote:
:D Trying to keep my USA relatives up to date. Can anyone tell me why it's called Turf Moor and when was the first games were officially played?

Hi, I am not sure why the playing ground is called Turf Moor, but I believe Burnley FC was founded in 1882.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:37 pm 
Librarian

Turf Moor is probably the area where the football club is now at. They started out as a Rugby club but they soon switched and became Burnley Rovers. In 1882/3 they moved to their new Turf Moor home at the invitation of the town's Cricket club which is in the same area.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:51 am 

:) Thanks, that will explain what they need to know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:08 am 
Willfinder General

hannah wrote:

Burnley FC
Full Name: Burnley Football Club
City: Burnley
Founded: 1882
Stadium: Turf Moor (22,546)
Colors: Claret, Blue
Nickname: The Clarets
Rivals: Blackburn Rovers, Preston North End, Blackpool

Official Website: burnleyfc.com

Description:
The club started out as a rugby club named Burnley Rovers but made the transition to football (and dropped the Rovers) in 1882. They moved into their current Turf Moor stadium the following year at the invitation of Burnley Cricket Club, who are still based next door. The Turf Moor was an open area on the edge of the town of Burnley. Moors have come to mean more specifically upland open areas but in earlier years was term was used to describe basically any open space. The turf (grass) of the moor was exceptionally good for starting fires and because of this the area came to be known as the Turf Moor. They've used the same stadium longer than any English club with the exception of nearby Preston North End. Burnley were members at the 1888 foundation of the Football League. Burnley adopted their current claret and blue colors in 1910. The highly detailed club logo has the following symbolism: a hand at the top (represents the Burnley city motto "Hold to the Truth"), two lions at the side (representing royalty as Turf Moor was the first stadium visited by an English monarch), two roses (the Lancashire rose), a knight's helmet (representing two aristocratic Burnley families), a bee (Burnley is known as The Busy Town) and a cotton shuttle (symbolizing Burnley's cotton industry). Previous stadiums: Calder Vale (1882-83).

http://www.albionroad.com/club-profiles/65-burnley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:51 pm 

:o Thanks Kris, that definately covers all they need to know about their roots, I learnt some bits I didn't know that I didn't know. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:27 am 
Spider Lady

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/burnleyne ... 5731035.jp

Burnley FC has 'best behaved supporters'

SCFC have the loudest apparently....majority of them are really arrogant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:10 pm 
Librarian

I must agree, I think they have the best most loyal supporters in the Country. :wink:

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:24 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Big match Sunday - I aren't arf getting some stick from my son-in law & his family. Shame, apart from his football shortcomings, he's a great bloke.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:01 pm 
Librarian

My Son, Daughter in Law and Grandson are coming for their tea on Sunday after the 'big' game, so I am getting a big chocolate cake ready for them for afters, if Burnley win I will put a lit candle on top in celebration, if they lose, we will just quietly eat it, I haven't told them about it in case it jinxs Burnley :lol:

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:18 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Man City 0 - Burnley 1!
Tough one this for someone who grew up a City supporter. But this is my adopted home now. Come on you Clarets!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next