Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why did they move?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48 am 

:cry: I went to the Family History Library, with a printout in my hand showing the entry from the catalog for Haggate Baptist Church. As directed, I took it to the proper window and asked for the two microfiche. Nobody could find them! They weren't in the public file, nor were they in the controlled access file. Apparently, someone had taken them out with other fiche for some reason, like making digital images of them. So I didn't get to see them. Next time, I will call first and make sure they are available. Not to worry, I found a couple of books about Lancashire that I found interesting.

I'll try again after the Christmas holidays.

Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations
http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:48 am 
Spider Lady

How disappointing!

Thinking about this, I would imagine the fiche there will be copies of the fiche held at Burnley. If that is the case then I'd be surprised if there was any more detail than Gloria spotted. I seem to remember the earlier Haggate fiche are images of a typed book (does that make sense?)

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:49 am 

That does make sense - I've seen it happen before. I was hoping it would be the actual church record and would contain information such as occupations, etc. In my particular case, the birth dates of some of the children do not match the birth dates that we already have on record. I'm wondering if the Haggate record is a membership list rather rather than an infant baptism record like we find in the C of E parish records. That would help explain the differences in birth years. Also, an extracted record could contain errors because the original record was difficult to read and the transcriber made his best guess. At any rate, I'm happy to know their names appear there, and to know that Haggate is the burial site for the father, Richard, and the daughter, Hannah. I'll still have a look at it when I can, just because that's what genealogy nuts do. :)

Homepage: Family History and Other Fascinations
http://homepage.mac.com/venitar/home.html