Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosswords, sudoku etc.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:39 pm 
Computer Whizz

On the LFHHS members forum there has been quite a lot of letters recently on what got people going on their family history. What has become apparent is that all of them also had an interest in doing crosswords, jigsaws, sudoku etc. As I read them I thought "Yes I do lots of those, mainly crosswords and sudoku". How many family history researchers on this site do the same? I would hazard a guess at all of you.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:32 pm 
Spider Lady

I only do jigsaws when I am in France with my friend. Never do them any other time as I get easily frustrated with them.

Do you think it's perhaps the average age group of people who research their tree though Gloria? I'm not saying any of you are old but it's only more recently that the research rooms are filled with people in the 30's and 40's. I think that's partly down to time too. Many people in their 30's and 40's are working full time whereas 50's and 60's are looking more towards retirement.
I had a similar conversation with Stephen before the weekend. He is about 30 years younger than I had thought he was.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:05 pm 
Computer Whizz

I have always done crosswords, more recently sudoku as well, jigsaws occasionally in the past, especially with our son when he was growing up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:38 pm 
Natural Geek

I do like sudokus, but find crosswords quite frustrating. My Dad's quite the master at cryptic crosswords, yet has no genealogical interests whatsoever. The exception that proves the rule...? :)

I think I'd probably venture into the world of crosswords moreso if I had more time to myself, but I never do. There's always something needs doing...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:32 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Jigsaws, crosswords, any sort of logic puzzles and I do them. I think it's a question of all grey things not being elephants Stephen - possibly all genealogists do puzzles but not all puzzlers do trees.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:52 pm 
Librarian

Have to do my daily crossword and sudoku or else I am out of sort's for the rest of the day, bliss to me is starting the day with newspaper and pot of coffee. I also have a weakness for my Nintendo DS, think it's all this media info about keeping the brain active as you get older to avoid dementia, I am also quite active on my laptop, I'm a silver (well auburn actually, thanks to my hairdresser) surfer.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:11 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

I do a lot of surfing and looking up stuff on the computer....cannot imagine not checking my emails and Facebook each day. Found it sooo frustrating when travelling where we could not access WiFi.
I used to be an avid crossworder...but I have found as I have become older that my internal word-search is in dire need of repair! Normal,'they' say. It IS 'in there'...if there was a multiple choice for the word I'd have it....so it isn't memory, it is recall.
Sudoku? Not in a million years. If it has numbers, I pass. Wiring starts to short and sputter.....fuse gets blown! (Blame it all on a teacher who was ruler happy and smacked me when I got my sums wrong one time......! :idea: ...and actually it was when I was staying in Harle Syke for a couple of weeks with my grandparents on Granville Street - during my mother's hospitalization one time.....Lanehead school was being reno'd and we were sent to another...this incident happened on day 2 or 3 and upset me so much my grandparents kept me home for the rest of my stay....I was not used to being smacked....and certainly not at school.)

Amazing how one little posting can just ramble on, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:24 pm 
Computer Whizz

I went to the other school as well when Lanehead was being renovated, it was (I think) St Cuthberts next to a recreation ground, between Briercliffe Rd and Colne Rd.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:47 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

That's it, Gloria! Wouldn't it be odd if we happened to be in the same class? I remember one girl with whom I became quite close friends....Merle Wilkinson (now Stuttard).....in the same class. I had known her previously....and we maintained a friendship until long after I left for Canada.
Wonder if that devil of a teacher ever went to Hell! Which is where my lovely grandfaher said he belonged.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:53 pm 
Computer Whizz

Are you on this http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... chool3.htm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

No...I wasn't at the school long enough....and don't remember posing for pics anyway.
Are you in it? I did look at it before looking for familiar faces......but didn't see anyone I instantly recognised.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:28 pm 
Computer Whizz

2nd row back, 3rd from right in check dress---I left soon after. And, I don't remember the pic being taken.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:35 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

Ah bless! You look so cute then Gloria. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:23 am 
Spider Lady

Not now then Maureen :twisted:

Mind you, a hooked nose and warts can hardly be classed as cute now can they :lol: :twisted:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:41 pm 
Computer Whizz

:shock: