Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:14 pm 
Spider Lady

Better than Chalk and Talk
Celebrating the films of Sam Hanna

Burnley Mechanics
Wednesday May 26th @ 7.45pm

A screening of local films from the North West Film Archive collections featuring the work of Burnley filmmaker Sam Hanna, and with accompaniment from the internationally renowned silent film musician Stephen Horne.

Tickets are FREE from the Burnley Mechanics Box Office (01282) 664 400
Maximum of 4 tickets per customer

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:15 pm 
Spider Lady

In addition to the event at the Mechanics, there's a display about Sam Hanna and his work touring venues in Burnley at the moment, together with screenings and workshops - more information about the project can be found here.

Records of the Sam Hanna film collection are available to search online and we hope to have some of the films themselves available to stream online in the next few months.
http://www.nwfa.mmu.ac.uk:591/samhanna/default.htm

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:09 pm 
Librarian

I've booked :wink:

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:03 am 
Spider Lady

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/burnleyne ... 6312059.jp

Burnley Mechanics to screen Sam's nostalgic films

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:09 pm 
Librarian

I'm reet looking forward to it.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm 
Spider Lady

I'm sure you'll have a good time Stephanie. It clashes with the Briercliffe Society meeting though I'm not sure I will make it up for that yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
Librarian

I'll give a little review after I've been.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:47 pm 
Computer Whizz

Thanks Stephanie that will be interesting.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:27 am 
Librarian

What a wonderful 2 hours me and the hubby spent last night, would'nt have missed it for the world, we sat among more than 300 like minded people watching our heritage come to life through the work of Sam Hanna, what a forward thinking man he was, he must have know when he did these films that future generations would want to see and recall moving images of old Burnley and it's customs. I was surprised to note that in the audience were people of all ages and walks of life, there were 3 Asian ladies sat in front of us and they seemed to be enjoying it as much as we did.

I was transported back to my childhood with street games we used to play, there before me were moving pictures of my old Burnley, places that had gone and were no more, the old market, shops, bus station, hospitals. There was one film of particular interest to me and that was Burnley School Of Nursing, it followed a young girl starting up her nursing career and we were taken to the hospitals that are no more, showing outside/inside the Victoria, I had actually worked on one of the wards that it showed, Hartley hospital, Marsden, Reedyford they were all there. Another film was made in 1957 by the East Lancs Chamber of Commerce & Industry, promoting new fields of industry for Burnley, there was the Prestige, Burco, Mullards, Smith & Nephews amongst others that are no more.

There was also some silent movies shown, which were not done by Sam, these were from 1900 and accompanied by the fine piano playing of Stephen Horne an internationally renowned silent film musician. There was goodnatured laughter at some of the films last night as people were remembering and reliving their own memories that were being shown in these sometimes poignant films. One sad piece of films showed Burnley V Manchester United 1957 playing in colour, the only colour film apparently in existance of the tragic Busby Babes the year before most of them died in that awful 1958 air crash.

I came out of the Mechanics last night with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye wishing I could have seen more, but we will be able to soon as there is going to be 10 hours of selected films by Sam Hanna which we will be able to view online. For anyone who wants to know more visit http://www.nwfa.mmu.ac.uk
I know I will be doing.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:17 pm 

:D Thanks Stephanie for the description, I was going but the roof repair men worked late putting a 'new lid' on my abode :roll: Couldn't get there in time, BUT following your link, I believe there is a repeat on 8th June at Queen St??? Hope I have got that right.

Like you, I worked at Burnley Vic. in the Sixties, seventies and BGH, so am looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:32 pm 
Librarian

They are having an exhibition of his work at Queen Street Mill and then onto Towneley Hall, but I dont think they will be showing the films.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 pm 
Librarian

Looks like you could be right Hannah, if that is correct you want to make sure you get there, well worth it.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:45 pm 
Computer Whizz

Thanks Stephanie, sounds like it was well worth going.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:26 pm 
Spider Lady

http://www.burnleyexpress.net/villagene ... 6333315.jp

SAM HANNA – There is to be a showing of Sam Hanna films at Queen Street Mill Museum in Harle Syke on Tuesday, June 8th, at 2 p.m. The event has been organised by the North-West Museums Service in association with Lancashire County Council. Historian Roger Frost has been asked to present a brief introduction to and commentary on the films. Entry is free and refreshments are available

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:47 pm 
Librarian

Anybody who gets the chance should go and see this :)

Stephanie.