Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1940's weekend
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:39 pm 
Librarian

Annual 1940's weekend started in Ramsbottom today it is packed with people from all around the area as it is every year, the main street was lined with people watching the parade which consisted of, sea, army and air cadets all celebrating 150 years of the Army Cadet Force, bands played during the march past, followed closely by old army vehicles. People were dressed in 1940's clothes as they milled around the centre, I'm so glad the weather was kind to them, the sun shone and it was a really good afternoon. I bought a newspaper printed specially called Ramsbottom War News detailing life in Ramsbottom during WW2, this is issue 1 1939 Preparing for War, every year they will print another paper until they have covered the war years, it makes interesting reading. Events are goin on all over the bank holiday weekend, it is always very well attended, they also had a war re-enacment on the station English against Germans with loads of bangs and smoke, with steam train etc, always very entertaining, good guy's always win. As I said this is an annual event and it is organised by East Lancashire Railways, they also have a fly past by WW2 planes lead by a Dakota.

Ramsbottom War News
Helpful Hints.
1. Have a first aid box ready. Two buckets of water, some sand and a shovel are necessities. See that you have them.
2. Store as you go. Take two eggs out of each dozen and preserve in water. Take a lump of sugar fewer in each cup of tea, put each lump into a special tin and so build up an extra reserve store.
3. Many people are training their dogs to carry gas masks for them and special holders which can be attached to a dog's back are being manufactured.

Stephanie.

Post subject: Re: 1940's weekend
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:16 pm 
Computer Whizz

How interesting and enjoyable it sounded, thanks Stephanie.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:00 pm 
Spider Lady

Make a note for next year!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:40 pm 
Computer Whizz

We took our grandson to Bury steam rail museum last week, there was a group of school children dressed as evacuees, even the teachers had entered into the spirit. Funnily (perhaps the wrong word) enough we began to feel sorry for them. What a learning experience for them.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:09 am 

40s weekend are brilliant we have been to Bury many times the people go to so much trouble to get everything authentic i remrmber one year talking to a lady all dressed in 40s clothes and asked her where she had got them she said vintage clothes shops and they are expensive this dress cost me £40 everything was just right hat shoes handbag
we saw couples dancing the Lindy hop talk about moving fast i was out of breath watching .
Its a great day out.