Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Burnley college
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:26 pm 
Willfinder General

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-11404183
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... asons.html

Burnley college has banned items of clothing which cover the face for securtiy reasons (including the Muslim veil and motorcycle helmets).

Community leaders have criticised the policy. Former Lancashire Council of Mosques chair Abdul Hamid Qureshi, said the policy was ‘a little excessive'. He also said: “There are human rights issues, people have the right to wear what they want.

What are your thoughts? Should religious freedom trump security?

Post subject: Re: Burnley college
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:21 pm 

Anything which completely covers the face should be banned. My granddaughter goes to Burnley College and she says they are very strict on security. On Monday she forgot to take her ID badge and was stopped from entering the college. The security people told her that she would have to go home but she was able to have another ID taken instead which cost her £3. How could someone with their faces covered have an ID picture taken in the first place?
Margaret

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:58 pm 
Spider Lady

I'm with you Margaret. I don't think anyone who has their face covered, be it with a burka, crash helmet, balaclava etc. should be allowed into banks, airports, colleges...anywhere where facial recognition is required. I don't think religion comes into it - for me it is purely a matter of security.

We have just returned from France and, for what I think is the first time, haven't seen anyone who might be classed as being of ethnic minority.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:50 pm 
Computer Whizz

I totally agree Mel.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:02 pm 
Willfinder General

I agree completely.

I don't know if this made the news in England, but there is a youtube video that shows at least one veiled passenger boarding a plane without showing her face at Montreal’s Trudeau International Airport. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-3frv4t ... re=related

Michael Coren discusses it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LMov8xg ... re=related

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:10 pm 
Computer Whizz

I really don't think that's on, it makes you wonder what use is a passport.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:16 pm 
Willfinder General

Political correctness.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:04 pm 
Spider Lady

Leaver wrote:

...gone mad. :|

What I (& countless others I expect) find really frustrating/annoying is that our country is so accommodating to other cultures, to the point of alienating people born and bred here, and yet when people of our country travel to other countries they are expected to adjust to that countries expectations. For example, the covering of heads and legs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:25 pm 
Computer Whizz

Spot on Mel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:20 pm 

This political correctness and "human rights" has gone absolutely mad and it really makes me angry, I agree with all you have all said on this subject 100%. It is more than time that the powers that be in the UK stop being so lily-livered and stand up and be counted. I really feel that it is no longer our country. Reading about the young soldier who having fought for his country then being refused a council house because he had not been living in that area for some time, yet just down the road an Afghan family are housed in a huge house beggars belief. Good job I don't have high blood pressure.
Margaret
ps sorry I digressed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:18 pm 
Spider Lady

I don't think you digressed (& if you did it doesn't matter). It's all along the same subject lines.

Something else that frustrates me (speaking of council housing), and it doesn't matter what colour or religion the family is....there have been several articles lately in papers like the Daily Mail about couples who need a bigger house for their growing family and expect the council to provide it. I wouldn't be surprised if they are also living off excessive benefits.

I should point out that all views expressed on this forum are those of the individuals and NOT those of the Briercliffe Society.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:57 pm 

I totally agree Mel. What never ceases to amaze me is, especially in cities, the monthly rents paid, a family who go out to work could never hope to pay these kinds of rents. Because we and many others, have worked all our lives we are entitled to nothing and after earning a salary a pensioner is expected to live on £395 a month, do the Wesminster beauracrats think that we don't have the same bills to pay out once we have retired? Oh my goodness I am really on my soap box today aren't I?
Margaret

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:57 pm 
Willfinder General

Mel wrote:
Leaver wrote:

...gone mad. :|

What I (& countless others I expect) find really frustrating/annoying is that our country is so accommodating to other cultures, to the point of alienating people born and bred here, and yet when people of our country travel to other countries they are expected to adjust to that countries expectations. For example, the covering of heads and legs.

Hasan al-Banna (Muslim Brotherhood founder), said: "It is the nature of Islam to dominate, not to be dominated, to impose its law on all nations and to extend its power to the entire planet."

Did you see this? At least three Islamic schools enforce compulsory niqab for girls as young as 11
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... -veil.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:42 pm 

What happened to " When in Rome "

They are too soft in the UK and it's about time they stopped bowing and scrapping to the muslims. If they don't like it then no one is forcing them to stay. I didn't use to be raciest but things have changed.

A friend in the UK had to remove a porcelain pig from the front window because it was offending the muslims. :x

That's the main reason I left because the country no longer belonged to the British. It's about time we took it back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm 
Willfinder General

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I didn't use to be raciest but things have changed.

Which race is Islam again? :D

Jack Sparrow wrote:
What happened to " When in Rome "

Speaking of Rome, there is an Islamic prophecy where Muhammad predicted the conquest of both Constantinople and Rome.

http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/774.htm
Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi knows it well. In writing about "signs of the victory of Islam," he referred to a hadith (sayings of Muhammad): "The Prophet Muhammad was asked: 'What city will be conquered first, Constantinople or Romiyya?' He answered: 'The city of Hirqil [i.e. the Byzantine emperor Heraclius] will be conquered first' - that is, Constantinople… Romiyya is the city called today 'Rome,' the capital of Italy. The city of Hirqil [that is, Constantinople] was conquered by the young 23-year-old Ottoman Muhammad bin Morad, known in history as Muhammad the Conqueror, in 1453. The other city, Romiyya, remains, and we hope and believe [that it too will be conquered]. This means that Islam will return to Europe as a conqueror and victor, after being expelled from it twice - once from the South, from Andalusia, and a second time from the East, when it knocked several times on the door of Athens."

If you do not know the definition of a "Dhimmi" read this: http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/28334