Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:18 pm 

happy new year to all!
i have only just found this site and registered so i would like to intoduce myself. i am anne leaver nea allen formerly of burnley.
my dad was john/jack leaver, mother phylis leaver/blackburn. i had 1 brother jim/james and 4 sisters jean, thelma, jacqueline and rosemary. myself and jean,thelma,jacqueline and jim were all born at coalclough lane burnley. my dad worked at uncoat pit and hapton valley pit. not sure on the spelling of these. my dad and sisters jean and thelma loved to dance and danced at every opportunity at most dance halls in burnley and surrounding areas as far as manchester. the blackburn side of my family lived in stonyholme whilst the leaver family was dotted around burnley. i have dozens of aunts, uncles and cousins who i would dearly love to make contact with so if anyone remembers any one or anything about the leavers, blackburn, sutcliffe and woodvine's please let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Anne,
welcome to this wonderful site.
There are a couple of people on here with Leaver connections. Kris, who has the site name of Leaver, is a wealth of knowledge and I am sure he will add to this thread.
Don't worry about your spelling, the only word I could see with a letter missing was Huncoat, and no-one says it sounding the "H".

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Last edited by Gloria on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:13 pm 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the site Anne.
You will defintely be connected to Kris with the Woodvine connection

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:00 pm 
Computer Whizz

Anne,
if you look on the home page under family trees, and then under Kristian Baxter you will find Leaver and Woodvine trees.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:54 pm 

hi gloria.
thankyou for the welcome and imfo.
i do know kristian, he is my cousin once removed. he has done an absolutely brilliant job of our leaver family tree. i am also in touch with kris mum josie. there are still more relatives who may have photo's out there somewhere and maybe this is the site to find them. i would dearly love to find the other side of my family who seem to have vanished completely since my gran died. they are the blackburn family who lived in stonyholme burnley. i was told that my grans house in stonyholme is now a mosque! my mothers side is blackburn. grandma henrietta mary ann, grandad frank, lorry driver, my mothers name was phyllis she had 1 sister elsie, and 4 married brothers, frank & audrey,albert & ?, harold & anne and keith & margaret.
audrey and frank had 2 daughters brenda and june, elsie had boy lenard and girl wendy i really would appreciate any imfo on these relatives. they all still lived in stonyholme in the 50s. we used to all have a huge family tea at grans every sunday and i remember them all very well. i know my cousin brenda died, i think she was 15 when she died. brenda had suffered brain damage shortly after her birth when a midwife accidently banged her head on a chair during bath time. after this brenda couldn't do anything for herself, she just used to sit on the floor rubbing her hands together and humming. my aunt audrey use to push brenda everywhere in a babies pram. i hope this forum brings more relatives to light. i would also like to hear from anyone who lived in coalclough lane in 1940s,50 and holmestrand avenue in the 50s. i went to church every sunday and took part in whit walks so interested in memories of those days too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 pm 
Natural Geek

Welcome, Anne! I hope you find this site as helpful as I did/have/will continue to do so!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 pm 

Hi Anne,

I lived on Coal Clough Lane from the early 60`s. Prior to this we lived on Rossendale Road. Where was Holmestrand Avenue in the 50`s? Same place as it is now? Silly question I know, but it is a new housing estate so I am presuming the old houses went. Vague memories are coming back to me as I type this.

Mo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:15 am 

:P thankyou for your welcome. i just love this site, it is great.
well mo i am 65 now and moved from coalclough lane when i was 7 but i do rememberthe street and the house we lived in, our house was shored up on the side with huge wooden planls of wood because it was in danger of collapsing. to the left of us was what looked like a huge bomb site and we used to play in the rubble. i think a bomb had fallen there during the war. i was boen as the war ended so would love to know the details. i seem to have memories of a mill/shed or work/factory behind our house this also lay in ruins.
we moved to holmestrand avenue when i was 7 they were bungalows new and prefabricated there was a cemetery at the top of the avenue.
i will think some more and get back to you tomorrow. i am really excited at you contacting me. thankyou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:43 am 

Hi Anne,

I can`t recall any bombed places in Coal Clough Lane as it may be just before my time (slightly younger but not much). Health and Safety eat your heart out as it was much more fun in those days wasn`t it? I well remember climbing the wall of the derelict Back Lane School.

I vaguely remember visiting someone on Holmestrand Avenue or vicinity with my mum. I remember a budgie in a cage in the window :lol: Isn`t if strange what we remember as children? Now I want to ask you something..... do you remember Gudgeons Ice Cream that was made on Rossendale Road roughly just across from Harold Avenue.

Mo