Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Elderly Relatives
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:57 am 
Spider Lady

Mum and I are heading towards Stockport today to visit her 86 year old cousin. We haven't seen him for about 18 months for one reason or another, one being his move from the Banbury area and giving him chance to settle in his new home. His new home being only 36 miles away, I'm hoping we can make this a more regular occurrence. He is the one who initially provided me with info for my Sutcliffe tree which gave me quite a good start particularly as this was all before the days of Ancestry.co.uk and the like.
I now have more to ask him regarding his own Grand Aunt, Sarah Hart nee Sutcliffe, and her family with thanks to Gill. I hope he is up to my probing!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Elderly Relatives
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:59 am 
Sage of Simonstone

As elderly relatives go I only really have my mum that I ever see. She's 83 and even though she's quite badly physically disabled, she's as sharp as a tack. An absolute mine of information. The trouble is knowing the questions to ask. Often I've worked something out, or discovered something, and when I tell her she'll say "Yes, that's right". Grrr! At least that usually sets her off adding more to the story.
Through an absolute fluke I recently came into contact with her cousin who she hasn't been in touch with for many years. He's got stuff relating to my mother's grandparents and great-grandparents, plus his mother's memories. So going to see him will be a real treat.

Post subject: Re: Elderly Relatives
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:37 pm 
Spider Lady

The relationship with mums cousin was only rekindled in 2009 after a lapse of some 50 years.
We had a lovely day though we didn't learn anything new. He had never met Sarah Hart unfortunately so couldn't add anything to the photogaphs.

What he did have though, was a tape recording of his dad talking to his sister (my nans brother and sister) in the 1940's. I've never heard either of them speak before as his dad died long before I was born and the aunt died when I was 4. We did visit the aunt when when I was small and she lived in Slaters Homes on Briercliffe Road but I have no recollection of this. They didn't know they were being recorded so it was just ramblings while they did whatever they did before the TV came along...in the days when families did actually talk. :shock:

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!