Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scam awareness
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:36 am 
Spider Lady

I received an email this week from a forum member, who I will leave anonymous. This person was the victim of a telephone scam where they agreed to purchase tablets that were some sort of multivitamin or detoxin. I don't want to name the company or the drug as I do not want to invite unwanted traffic to the website. The long and short of it is, this person researched the company in hindsight and found that it is mostly pensioners being targeted and some are paying in the region of £400 for something that is probably 50p a bottle in Tesco. The forum member who contacted me has been lucky, they used credit card and Barclaycard have cancelled the transaction and the card and a new one has been issued. They have been incredibly supportive.

My own parents were caught with something similar last year and my father in law has been victim to the 'your computer has a virus, let me have access' phone call despite having a son (my hubby) who deals with all these things for him! There are many scams out there to watch for, these are just a couple of them.

Please everyone, be vigilant. These scumbags phone at inconvenient times, catch you unaware, have the gift of the gab. If you don't recognise the phone number on your phone display, don't answer it. If you don't have the facility to see the number, hang up as soon as they ask to speak to Mr/Mrs ???. You do not have to speak to these people. You do not have to be polite to them. You did not invite them into your home.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Scam awareness
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:56 am 
Computer Whizz

Thankyou Mel.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.