Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:16 pm 
Librarian

Looking through one of my Grans handwritten cookbooks I found these little gems. She died in 1971 aged 94 so they are fairly old, she and my Grandad were big believers in Herbs, think that is why they enjoyed long healthy lives. Gran had 6 children and never a day in hospital in her life..
For Bronchitis- 4ozs Jamaica Rum, 2ozs Glycerine, 2ozs Lime Juice. Bottle & shake well. Lotion for Dandruff- 1/3oz stinging nettle herb, 1/3oz rosemary leaves, 8 grains tannic acid, 1/8oz boracic acid, 8 grains sodium bonzoate. Boil herbs for 2 minutes in 1 pint water. Drain off water & in it dissolve other ingredients. Massage into scalp every day. Unbroken Chilblains- Rub with lotion made with equal parts of Turpentine, Acetic acid & Camforated oil. For Colds- A handful of Elderblossom & Peppermint herb in a jug. Add 11/2pts boiling water. Sieve & sweeten. Drink hot as possible in bed. For Constipation- 1/4lb Epsom salts, 1/2oz Senna leaves, 1/2oz best Spanish, Just over 1pt water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 mins. Take 1 Tablespoon each morning. And they go on folks. Also she was the best baker ever. :) Stephanie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:43 pm 
Librarian

9ozs S.R. Flour, 41/2oz of butter, 4ozof sugar, 1 Egg, Milk to mix, Raspberry jam. Stir flour and rub in butter lightly. Stir in Sugar and beaten egg, mix with sufficient milk to make a fairly stiff dough, turn out on to floured board and divide into two equal size pieces, roll into floured rounds. Spread jam over one round, leaving a one inch margin round the edge. Damp edge with water, place other round on top, press edges together and sprinkle top with caster sugar. Put cake on greased baking tin and cook in hot oven 400deg F for about 20-30 minutes, eat when cool. Where it got its name from is anyones guess. :o Stephanie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:51 pm 
Spider Lady

Do you have many of these to post Stephanie? Is it worth me creating a recipes topic?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:03 pm 
Librarian

I have loads of old receipes in my Grans book Mel but not all remedies. But I am sure it would be a popular column to start up, there will be loads of people with old snippets dont you think :?: Stephanie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:24 am 
Spider Lady

I have set up the new topic in the General category. Unfortunately, I can't move this thread into there but never mind.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!