Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1911
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:44 am 
Spider Lady

Received this late last night so it must be happening today!!

We wanted you to be the first to know that the 1911census.co.uk website launches officially tomorrow.

We have added many more of the counties that were unavailable on the beta site over Christmas, including Lancashire, Essex, Kent, Yorkshire (West Riding), Nottinghamshire and Herefordshire. We continue to scan the remainder of the census and will make the remaining counties available as soon as possible. A full list of the counties available at launch, and those still to come, appears at the end of this email.

We expect the site to be very busy at first, and so we have taken a number of measures to make sure that as many people as possible can get their searches completed successfully. The first is that we have deliberately restricted some of the search functions on the site, meaning that the search is not as flexible as it will be later on. Secondly, we are only allowing users to download original pages, rather than view them directly on the website.

Obviously, we will 'unlock' the powerful search features and switch on image viewers as soon as possible after launch and let you know by email and via the blog when we have done this.

During launch, if the site becomes exceptionally busy, we will also restrict the number of new people entering the site. We want to allow the people who are already using the site to complete their searches rather than make the site impossibly slow for everybody. We have built the site to withstand a very large (but not infinite) number of visitors, so if you find that you are not being allowed in, please bear with us. Real-time service updates can be found on our blog, which we advise you to check frequently for the latest news.

Finally, we know many of you are as excited as we are to see the remaining counties that will become available over the coming months. However, we cannot give you specific launch dates for these remaining counties - we are continuing to scan the census into the spring and anticipate that the census will be complete by this summer. Rest assured that by staying signed up to our newsletter and checking the blog, you will be the first to know of all new developments.

Thank you to all those who participated in the beta period and we wish you the very best of success in using the 1911census.co.uk website to broaden your family history research.

The 1911census.co.uk team

Counties available at launch:

Bedfordshire
Berkshire
Buckinghamshire
Cambridgeshire
Cheshire
Cornwall
Derbyshire
Devonshire
Dorsetshire
Essex
Gloucestershire
Hampshire
Herefordshire
Hertfordshire
Huntingdonshire
Kent
Lancashire
Leicestershire
Lincolnshire
London
Middlesex
Norfolk
Northamptonshire
Nottinghamshire
Oxfordshire
Rutlandshire
Shropshire
Somersetshire
Staffordshire
Suffolk
Surrey
Sussex
Warwickshire
Wiltshire
Worcestershire
Yorkshire West Riding

Counties not available for launch but coming soon:

England:
Durham
Cumberland
Northumberland
Westmorland
Yorkshire – East Riding and North Riding

Wales:
Anglesey
Brecknockshire
Carnarvonshire
Cardiganshire
Carmarthenshire
Denbighshire
Flintshire
Glamorgan
Merionethshire
Montgomeryshire
Monmouthshire
Pembrokeshire
Radnorshire

Other:
Isle of Man
Channel Islands
Royal Navy
Overseas Military Establishments

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:03 am 
Spider Lady

They were talking about the census on BBC Breakfast this morning. The 1911 rep said it costs between £2.50 & £3.50 though did not state what you get. I wonder how manny people will log on this morning thinking they will be able to research their whole family for the above price?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:09 pm 
Willfinder General

1911 census reveals David Beckham's rag and bone man ancestor . . . and who lived in your house before WW1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... e-WW1.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm 
Librarian

I am going to contain myself and hang on a bit, I have waited so long, so a bit longer wont do me any harm. One of the counties that I want, Durham, has not been done yet anyway. But I am excited, is'nt it silly. :roll:

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:32 pm 
Computer Whizz

To be honest, I got more excited about the 1841. I suppose I am lucky in that I know about most of the 1900's. Still there is always something to learn.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:17 pm 

Hi Folks,

It was exciting to find 1911 up and running, if costly. I'm old enough (sigh!) to pretty much know all my near and direct family in the years 1901-present, so I don't see myself buying all those 'spensive credits ...

If only the one site has the 1911 Census exclusive rights for a few years, I wonder if LDS Family History Centres will have it, perhaps (who knows this?) one can visit them and go looking in person, in the flesh.

So it goes ...

Ross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:33 pm 
Spider Lady

It really is exclusive to the 1911census website. I emailed and asked if it would be available elsewhere and was told not until 2012.
The LDS didn't have the 1901 initially. Well, here in the UK anyway. I don't know if they have it now. They will be subject to the 2012 rule as far as I can tell.

The 1911 has given what the americans would call 'closure' for me with some people. I have only looked at transcripts for Staffordshire so far but it provided me with siblings that I was not aware of for some ancestors and gave me more idea of the death of Lyndons great gran. Being a Smith, it is difficult to follow insomuchas there are so many possibilities to choose from. It's provided info that Lyndons dad could not tell me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:57 pm 

So far I have found the 1911 census immensely useful. I bought several credits knowing what I would see in the images.

My maternal grandmother in Burnley was one of eleven children so my mother, born in 1908, had many older cousins about whom I knew nothing. I've located several of them in the census and have their names and ages in 1911 so can work forward from there. It's also useful to know when a family had children who died, sad though it is to think about it.

The Internet can be a real boon for those of us not on the spot to search local directories and other records.

The LDS family history libraries in Canada no longer have census records online at present as the agreement between the Church and Ancestry was not renewed.

Joan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:24 am 
Sage of Simonstone

I just tried it out, I've got a shopping list of stuff I've been waiting for but I'm rationing myself to the most important ones.
It's a bit of a nuisance that you can't search for first names only yet - my 2x g'grandfather & my 2x g'uncle were called Zenas and that's a great name to search for normally. As it is I can only find one of them on a surname search.
Anyway the second one I tried was OH's grandmother because she fascinates me. And that's when it finally came home that I was dealing for once with people in living memory. It's spooky.
And so sad -she has 3 children on the census, who we already knew of, but shows herself as having had another 4. A well, really must go to bed!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:33 am 
Spider Lady

You should have been in bed a long time ago!

When I filled in their feedback forms, my complaint was that surname had to be entered. It won't be forever though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:31 am 
Willfinder General

Portia, on Sarah Jane Pilkington’s census return, does it name the fourth child? I only know of Frank Spencer, Cissy Spencer and Herbert Pilkington. Do you have a copy of the census that you could send me?

Is the 1911 Lancashire census complete? I was looking for my Granddad Joseph Woodvine (1910-2003) and his father, Jeremiah Woodvine (1884-1959), but nothing came up, and I could find only two Woodvine’s listed in Burnley.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:32 pm 
Spider Lady

I am under the impression that only counties that are complete are available.

Just so that the website and the Society can be cleared of any involvement, can you not make swap requests on the forum please.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:40 pm 
Willfinder General

Sorry…..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:44 pm 
Spider Lady

Not a problem Kris, I'm sure everyone does it but just got to be careful for the sake of the Society.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:15 pm 

Stephanie, what a wonderful first name to search for - Zenas. I have a great-aunt Thirza and although the name isn't unknown it's been easy to find in 1891 and 1901.

I want to correct my previous posting about the LDS libraries and census returns. The 1881 British and Canadian censuses, and the 1880 US, are still available online at the centres.

As I listen to the radio this morning, the temperature here is -21C, -30 with wind chill, and will reach the magnificent high of -17 today. Oh well, this is Canada, this is January. At least it's too cold for more snow to add to what's already there.

Joan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next