Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:14 pm 
Spider Lady

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8264572.stm

It has held books upright in millions of rooms around the world for 30 years. As Ikea's Billy bookcase enters its fourth decade, why do we display our reading material rather than just store it away?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:56 pm 
Librarian

I would be absolutely lost without my bookcases, they contain books of about everything and anything, fiction, non-fiction, reference books, inherited books, books from my childhood. I have two massive built in book cases in the dining room and one very large floor standing bookcase in the bedroom, and do you know I still haven't enough room, I even have books still at my Dad's and at my Mum in laws. I cant seem to throw any away, books are a bit of a passion of mine, I get books as Birthday and Christmas presents as well. Love em'.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:34 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

One of the first things I sneak a peek at in someone's home for the first time, is their books. I can tell if we have anything at all in common by the titles and genres!
My hubby doesn't get why I am so adamant about keeping books...."You've read 'em...pass 'em on!" I understand his not understanding...but....!
He bought me an e-book a year ago and I did download 30 books...and I use it when travelling...but I love the feel, the smell and the weight of a book, don't you?
We are now downsizing, as our house is for sale as we prepare to spend a few years as 'gypsies' in a 38' motorhome....no room for my books....I will grieve giving them away more than the selling of my furniture and house!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:57 am 
Spider Lady

Ooh I agree Sue. I have downloaded numerous books, particularly rare ones but I cannot read them the same. There's nothing like curling up on the sifa with an interesting book.

I wonder what my bookcase says. Here in the UK I have all of my local history books, with the exception of Mist Over Pendle, there is not one novel. In France I have all my novels.

I do need a new bookcase, I have a couple of books that are too tall for the shelves and no longer have space for anymore. What to have and where to put it!? I think it will have to go in the bedroom unless I can find a space in the dining room.

Enjoy your travels Sue.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!