Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:48 pm 

Hi

Does anyone have any memories of any of the Mills in Burnley originally owned by Stephen Cann. I think there were at least 4 of the, and most of my family (Wilkins) worked there until the closures in the late 60s (then known as Carrington & Dewhurst). I think one was Ashfield Mill and Primrose Mill but can't remember any of the others. My father, James Wilkins, began there in the 50s at the age of 15years

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:54 pm 

Hi there,

I have been in touch with you a while back through Ancestry. I have just seen your post about Stephen Cann. My husband David Scott worked there in the 60's in the accounts office. The other mills are Martin Street and Bracewell Street, also Byerden Mill.

He remembers a Jim Wilkins who has a brother, Kenneth would this be the same person.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:17 pm 

Hi

Thank you so much for getting in touch. Jim Wilkins is my dad and Ken my uncle. Dad and mum now live in Lytham, having spent 7 years living in NE Scotland. Ken still lives on Colne Rd. Will ask my dad if he remembers David Scott. Dad joined Stephen Canns at the age of 15 and remained working with them until all the mills were closed (having been taken over by Carrington Dewhurst). We all moved to Little Lever, Nr Bolton and worked at Bradley Fold mill until it closed when we again all moved to Grove Mill at Eccleston nr Chorley (by now was known as Carrington Viyella) until the final closure when all of us were made redundant. What did David do in the years after Stephen Cann?

Take care

Sue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:03 pm 

Hiya

I (think) I sent you a private message the other day, well, did I or didn't I, because I can't find it anywhere

Janice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:24 pm 

Hi

Yes you did and I received. Dad is racking his brain about David. Vaguely remembers the name.

Thanks so much

Take care

Sue