Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pendle Bottom!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 pm 

I have started writing about my childhood and early years so that I can include it in my Family History, and I remember as a child in the early 1960's being taken to Pendle bottoms at Easter, I can remember that there were swing boats and I am sure there was a monkey....possibly Jack Moore's monkey?
Buts that all I can remember about it, can anyone tell me where exactly Pendle bottom was? and if anyone has any memories of it I would love to hear about them, maybe it will jog my memory a bit more!

Post subject: Re: Pendle Bottom!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm 

:D Yes I was taken to 'Pendle Bottom' every Easter, it is down Barden Lane. over the railway and canal bridges and it was a right turn to Jack Moor's land. If you Google a map for Woodend Rd, Reedley. It will show you the area.
Jack Moor's farm and the cottages are still there and the land where all the festivities were held is still farmland.
I was taken there (from the best of my memory :roll: ) From about 1950 onwards. I have only realized lately what a huge walk it was from the 'Prairie' bus stop, for a small child! Or is it me in my now 'golden years' that is shattered when I have done the walk?
On the lane leading to Jack Moor's, there were stall selling toffee apples, candy floss and CECE's ice cream. Stalls selling bits of trophy's for us kids to persuade our grandparents to buy. I came home with monkey type toy with a REAL fur tail. It was promptly banned from the house by my grandmother as she had decided the tail was made from a dead cat???

The monkey, I managed to see it once only, sitting on my grandfathers shoulders. it was a short fur type, but we never got near enough to see it closely.

Ah! those were the days :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:41 am 

Thankyou very much for your reply, It has jogged my memory and I can remember the stalls, its the swing boats that stick out most in my mind, I have a photograph of me holding a monkey so maybe that was taken there....Cece's ice cream also stirred up memories of my childhood. Harry Cece was my Grandads best man, but I don't know how he knew him and they used to come down the back street with the ice cream van and I would go out with my plastic mug and get ice cream out into it, I don't know why I never had a cornet!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:23 am 
Spider Lady

There is another topic on Jack Moores monkey here. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=988

It didn't start off on the topic of the monkey but it got there somehow!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:41 pm 

The place is called Holme End.

I think there was a succession of monkeys.

Yes, I remember the candy floss, the plastic windmills (plastic had just about been invented...), the treacle toffee (fresh from Sabden). All on Good Friday, when in the afternoon they had football at Turf Moor in them days ; moreover you could watch a Burnley team win handsomely usually.

Happy Days !

Rex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:45 pm 
Librarian

Yes very happy days, I think nearly all Burnley turned out to go to Jack Moores's monkey's. I used to peg up in the swing boats with my Mum, there was about 5 of them I think and to the right hand side of them there was a big cage where the monkey lived, the one that I remember was quite bad tempered and you could'nt go too close to the cage. Also opposite the boat swings was a little shop that sold tea, pop and crisps ( with little blue bags of salt inside) etc, it had a low doorway and a flagged floor, the counter was just to the left as you entered and I remember a little old lady serving. There were stalls most of the way down Barden lane, on both sides, (not much traffic in those days)they seemed to sell all sorts of delights for us young kiddies, I remember me and my friend were desperate for a monkey on a stick but we never did get one. I remember going in the mid 1950's and I too have a photo of myself and family stood on Barden lane just before the bridge. Funny what sticks in your mind is'nt it, dont know where all those years have gone, only seems like yesterday. :)

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:19 pm 

Hello to all,

It's been a while since I was on this forum (last summer).

I too well remember going down Barden Lane every Easter to visit Jack Moore's monkey and to have a ride on the swing boats. One year, because I got too near the cage the monkey reached through the bars and stole my sun hat. I burst into tears (I was aged about 7 at the time, about 1960) and my mum and dad couldn't retrieve my hat :( Although my dad looked for him, Jack Moore was nowhere to be found to complain. I can only remember one monkey though. Were there several?
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:27 pm 
Librarian

There was only one monkey at a time, when one died it was replaced by another.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:03 pm 

I remember the monkeys quite well. There was Trixie and Joey but in which order I can't remember. I always got a glass of sarsaparilla at the shop. :)