Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:32 pm 
Spider Lady

Familia Historia Predatus by D Willis

This species of bird is becoming increasingly more common. At one time it was a rare visitor, noticeable by its plumage and habits in the quiet quarters of the archival regions. There has been a steady increase, with an upsurge in the population in the last five years.
It is noticeable mainly by the fixed gleam in its eye and a marked tendency to clamp its jaw firmly on any tasty piece of material which it finds nourishing.
Some authorities deem it a true bird of prey, but it has been classed as a scavenger, contentedly surviving on some very indigestible items of diet.
Certain areas abound in them. The area just north of the Thames in central London has the sturdier and more voracious variety, which can be quite dangerous if thwarted.
It is disputed whether feeding grounds in quieter areas have a sedative effect, or whether these attract a totally different variety, but it has been recorded that some observers have reeived quite sharp bites from a frustrated or hungry bird.
A tendency to rip the meat from any juicy item, moving swiftly on to the next is its main feeding habit - not one that endears it to the indigenous population.
There are no plans at the moment to cull the species, but we await the plans of HM Government with some trepidation!

I found this in 'Family Tree Magazine' dated February 1993 (not that I'm a hoarder or anything! :shock: ) and it made me smile. I wonder what D Willis would make if the obsession today with the popular TV shows and the benefit of the internet?

I can't believe this article is 20 years old! I know I am fast approaching 40 but have I really been researching for that long!

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:55 am 

Thought you were having a dig at me for a moment! (b. just north of the Thames in London)

Where there's a will, there's a relative

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am 
Spider Lady

You quite probably fall into the category Gordon...along with a lot if us today 8)

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!