Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Burnley Cemetry
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:31 pm 

I have found a that the grave of my grandparents is in Burnley Cemetry. Unfortunately there are over 130 graves in the same surname. How can I track down the grave location without wandering around the grave yard for hours on end?

Post subject: Re: Burnley Cemetry
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:39 pm 
Spider Lady

If you go into the office just inside the gates, assuming it is open when you visit, the staff should have some way of knowing and should be able to help.

If the office is shut when you visit, there is usually a number on every grave. This will either be on the plinth or the back of the headstone or even the footer if there is one though I don't think many of the graves in Burnley had these. It might not be obvious for every grave. Check the numbers against the one that you have.

Is the number a reference used by cemsearch or is it the actual grave number? I have a feeling they may differ.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:11 pm 

If you have a rough idea of when they died or better still where they lived you can email them using the Briercliffe society link and they'll look it up for you. I found them very helpful and efficient

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:29 pm 
Librarian

How about trying this link www.cemsearch.co.uk I find this web site quite good, if you search for the surname and find anything that may fit, it only costs a very small amount of money to get the details, better than trailing all around Burnley cemetary.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:07 pm 
Spider Lady

This is the email address for Burnley Cemetery bereavementservices@burnley.gov.uk

Stephanie, I think (from looking at another topic earlier) that the info might be from Cemsearch which was why I wondered if the reference was a grave reference or a cemsearch reference. Do you know if they use their own referencing system? I had a couple of reports from them in the past but I can't remember if it was the actual grave reference or not.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:09 pm 
Spider Lady

Just looking at the cemsearch site to see if I can figure it out and found this 'plan' of Burnley cemetery.

http://www.cemsearch.co.uk/burnley/burnplan.html

Is it any use Loikloik?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:03 pm 
Librarian

Mel, if I remember rightly I think it is actually the original grave reference, and they only charge £6 for all the people with that surname.

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:37 pm 

:lol: Not surprisingly, I did it the complicated way. Two half days( I booked in advance) and I trawled through 60 years of burials to find what I wanted. The staff are nice, helpful and seem to think I was a pro.? I met a couple of ladies at the library later, who had been refused access to the same books, no idea why.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:25 pm 

Now been to Burnley Cemetery. I got in touch with Cemsearch who were incredibly helpful, to the extent that a lovely lady called Elaine met me at the gates and helped me search. I would have been lost without her. The cemsearch reference numbers are their own. The Cemetery numbers are totally different. The Cemetery staff were brilliant over the 'net but not very forthcoming face to face, but I guess like everywhere else some people are better than others. I now have more puzzles than I started with but hey, so what!!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:18 am 
Spider Lady

Wow! Well done Cemsearch! Thats excellent customer service and beyond what is expected I should think.

I am surprised about the staff at the cemetery. Maybe emails mean they get to respond in their own time unlike face to face?

Glad you have more piuzzles - it keeps the little grey cells happy :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 pm 
Librarian

I have had dealings with Elaine from Cemsearch, she is a really nice, very helpful lady, who will do over and above. :)

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:08 pm 

I have also had correspondence with Elaine from cemsearch recently and she was very helpfull.

I have a question for you all . Why dont the burial authority need to record dates of birth on headstones?
I contacted them today and I was told this is not a requirement.
Plenty of other graveyards/records in the North West which I have checked over the years give this information.
Why dont Burnley?

Swinno.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:12 pm 

I too have had dealings with Elaine, she is lovely and helpful. Apparently she was quite poorly last year but she is back now and so willing to help people. Susan from the bereavement services has also been extremely helpful to me over the years so my thanks to both of these ladies.
Happy Bank Holiday to all
Maggie
ps Mel and her Papers Past etc also comes under the heading of "helpful and kind"
:D

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:13 pm 
Spider Lady

Thanks Margaret :D

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:09 pm 

I've recently had contact with Susan at bereavement services and she is really brill!!!