Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Eastwood surname
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:53 pm 

:roll: I'm on the last stage of my Eastwood hunt :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: I'm trying to trace current members.
Anyone got access to a website which can trace Brian Eastwood and brother Ronald( he died 2007), they are ? the only children of Benjamin b.1907 and Ethel (or Alice) Maud who married in 1932. Ronald died in Blackpool but I believe Brian may live in York.

Post subject: Re: Eastwood surname
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:10 am 
Spider Lady

Hannah, does Brian have a middle name? I had a look on one site and found only one reference for York. I'll send you the info on a PM as I don't like to put present day info about people online without their prior consent. Don't get too excited though - it is only the site that I looked at and the index entry. I think you have to register to get the full info. PM on way.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:50 am 

Havn't a clue if either of the two men had any other names or if they were the only children.Only that the eldest was called Brian and may have been born when his father worked in Manchester on the Manchester Newspaper ( father later migrated to Blackpool and worked as a printer on the Blackpool newspaper) A bit limited info. I know but now I am stuck searching for the living , makes a change from the departed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:02 am 
Spider Lady

You should be able to search for any other kids if you know the mothers maiden name assuming it wasn't something like Smith. After 1911? the maiden name is included on the birth index. FreeBMD is obviously the first port of call but as it is incomplete - it's one of those resources that need checking often.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:52 am 

My Grandfather was called Eastwood. I don't know his first name, he died before I was born, I was born in 1952. My Grandmother was a widow, her previously married name was Ridsdale, the name I bear.
They lived in Burnley off Colne Road. Don't know if this is any connection or of any help?
Regards

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 am 

Hi there, I have the eldest gt. uncle James m. Annie and they had three children, Florence, Fred and James between 1907. This is the one I cannot trace or his children.

Next was Thomas m. Sarah, they had three children Fred ( killed in WW1) Mary E and Rennie between 1899 to 1905. No idea what happened to the children.

John Wilfred and his wife Caroline I have details of their deaths, they had 7 children, the survivors were Ben, Frank and Jack between 1907 and 1913. Ben's children are the one's I finally found in Blackpool area.

The family lived off Briercliffe rd, for most of their lives, the children could be anywhere.

Does this ring any bells?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:26 am 

hannah wrote:
Hi there, I have the eldest gt. uncle James m. Annie and they had three children, Florence, Fred and James between 1907. This is the one I cannot trace or his children.

Next was Thomas m. Sarah, they had three children Fred ( killed in WW1) Mary E and Rennie between 1899 to 1905. No idea what happened to the children.

John Wilfred and his wife Caroline I have details of their deaths, they had 7 children, the survivors were Ben, Frank and Jack between 1907 and 1913. Ben's children are the one's I finally found in Blackpool area.

The family lived off Briercliffe rd, for most of their lives, the children could be anywhere.

Does this ring any bells?

It is possible it is another Eastwood. (sadly)...I really have no idea of the history of this side of the family.
My Grandmother was originally married to a 'Ridsdale'. My father Ronald Ridsdale was born in 1919. I'm not sure when his father died, but it has to be later than 1919. My Grandmother re-married, again I have no idea of the year, but lets say sometime between the 1920's and 1940's. She then became Florrie Eastwood. Again, this gent died before I was born in 1952. They lived in Murray Street, off Colne Road.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:58 pm 

:roll: There were a lot of them living around that area, same christian names as well. It took me a long time ( with the help of The briercliffe society brains) to get on the right ones.

never mind, every little suggestion can lead somewhere, if we are lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:31 am 

hannah wrote:
:
never mind, every little suggestion can lead somewhere, if we are lucky.

After talking to my mother on the phone I have the following info.

The "Eastwood" who married my widowed Granma was called Bert. Apparently he was an 'accountant' but in what exact capacity nobody knows. My Mother remembers him 'courting' my Gran during the second world war, but forgets when they married. He too was a widower. It must have been a relatively short marriage, however, as mentioned above he had already passed away by 1952.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:06 pm 
Willfinder General

Hi Hannah, I have a few family photos from the Eastwood family of Reedley Farm (sent to Mel to be added). Are they related?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:59 pm 

:( Doubt it Kris, but it will be interesting to see them as no doubt they will be a branch off the 'main line'

Have followed your advice and am going to Skipton Library next Monday, they apparently have a family history expert who has 'help' sessions
on that day, this is for my Yorkshire Thistlethwaite roots. Unfortunately my fathers brothers birth was registered on a trip into Burnley, then they went back again to Lothersdale again. Seems complicated for 1920 but I suppose Burnley would be the nearest as opposed to the available places that Lothersdale babies were registed. Horse and trap I suppose to get over and back?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:02 pm 
Willfinder General

HI Hannah, so you purchased that birth certificate. What did it say, was the baby born in a house or in a hospital? Perhaps you can fill in the details of the birth cert:

Example:

Date – 9th May 1912
Name – Abraham Halstead Leaver
Sex - Boy
Father – James Ewart Leaver
Mother – Phyllis Annie Leaver, Formerly Howarth
Occupation of Father – Cotton Cloth Salesman
Informant – J.E. Leaver, Father, Rose Cottage, Briercliffe
Registered – 13th June 1912
Registrar – AA. Bellingham

Date –
Name –
Sex - Boy
Father –
Mother –
Occupation of Father –
Informant –
Registered –
Registrar –

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:08 pm 

Nope, I didn't order the cert. in a futile effort to save money on what I thought might be a wasted document?
I contacted Keithley and they said Lothersdale came under Harrogate???? They searched and said the birth was registered in Burnley, I assumed, probably wrongly, that the document wouldn't give a Lothersdale address???

All I can remember is that he is reputed to have arrived early ( weighing in at 10lb 4oz, :roll: ow!) and was put in a drawer in the bedroom, no crib had been provided yet, he promptly took out the drawer bottom and landed in the drawer below!! That's the family story anyway :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:26 pm 
Computer Whizz

We used to rent the biuldings at Lower Reedley Farm, halfway down Reedley Drive. It had a very small two up, two down cottage attached to it. We rented it from the guy farming Reedley Farm at the top of the drive, he in turn rented it from someone else---I think it was Parkinsons, but not 100% sure about that.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:04 pm 
Willfinder General

Hi Hannah, are you saying the boy was born at Lothersdale but he was registered in Burnley?

If the boy’s parents lived at Lothersdale, then the address will be listed.