Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:38 pm 

Hi,

I hope someone can help me , I am trying to find out about Edmund Heap my 4th great grandfather and his wife. I have found his family and his 'widow' 65yrs as is shown in the 1841 census at Ridehalgh. She seems to have died between 1841 and 1851. The children on the 1841 census are Moses 37, Richard 34, and Wilkinson 21. Richard is my 3rd great grandfather , he married Mary Ann Greenwood, 30th Jan 1850 in Blackburn and died 29 Nov 1850 before the birth of my 2nd great grandmother Nancy Heap.
Moses Heap lived in Barker House Great Marsden with His family .

Many thanks
Jenny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:31 pm 
Computer Whizz

Hi Jenny,
have you looked at the church records on the home page----there is an Edmond Heap of Ridehalgh buried 13th Nov 1837 Haggate Baptist Chapel

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:39 pm 

I have an Edmund Heap of Extwistle son of John Heap 1769-1812 and Betty Smith 1772-1846.
My own Gt Gt was an Edmund Heap and it is a recurring family name (6) in my large collections of Heaps from Burnley and its environs.
I also think that there was an Edmund Heap buried on the 12th December 1821 at Haggate.
I would be interested in ascertaining whether I could tie this particular strand into my own.
I have a document somewhere in my possession which shows the tenancy of an Edmund Heap at Ridehalgh.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:15 am 

The Briercliffe Farming Community c 1829-1834 shows Ridehalgh as being owned by a James Foulds and tenanted by Widow Laycock 23 and a half acres, Edmund Heap 23 acres, William Sutcliffe 24 acres.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:55 am 
Computer Whizz

That sounds an interesting document, have you just got Ridehalgh or does it give all Briercliffe farms?
Is it to be found at the records office?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:12 pm 

Hi Gloria, It's a photo copy of a single page showing all the farms, owners, tenants acreage Yearly Value and rate.
Would you like me to scan it to you ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:14 pm 
Computer Whizz

Oh yes please, I'll pm my email address to you.
many thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:18 pm 

Hi,

According to the 1841 census , William Sutcliffe , Betty Laycocke and Widow Heap are all neighbours so that is my Edmund Heap, so I would think the burial date of 1837 more likely.
Moses was living at the farm and I think I have found the baptisms of his first children at St James rather than Haggate in the church records, by 1851 he was at Great Marsden.
I am trying to find out Edmund's wife's name to help find baptisms of other children, as I can't find a Richard Heap and can't be sure of Moses and Wilkinson, I had thought them more unusual names but have been proved wrong.

Thanks for all the help so far,
Jenny

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:15 pm 
Computer Whizz

I have just looked at the 1841 census and they were not being very helpful were they?----widow Heap!!!!!! did they not think of the trouble that would give us in the years to come. Moses and Wilkinson as children's christian names should give some clues, I would have thought they must be family names.
Don't we just love puzzles on here :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm 
Computer Whizz

In the church records again, there is a Wilkinson Heap born 7th Oct 1802 parents John and Betty, of Extwistle. So it would appear Wilkinson is a Heap family name. Wonder if Moses was a family name of "widow"?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:24 pm 
Computer Whizz

Another interesting one from the same source
Moses Heap born 1st Oct 1802, parents Neddy and Nancey of Higher Rideough (their spelling). Haggate Baptist Chapel.
Neddy could be Edmund.
ah and then
Neddy Heap born 5th March 1776, parents John and Betty of New House, Briercliffe. Haggate Baptist Chapel.
In the notes it says twin.
There's a marriage as well for Neddy and Nancy Sutcliffe 29th Nov 1796 St Peters, Burnley.
Death---Nancey Heap of Rudiac Briercliffe (that could be Ridehalgh, thinking of the accent, and I have never heard of Rudiac in Briercliffe) 30th July 1846 Haggate Baptist Chapel.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:19 pm 

I had seen all these records and wondered whether they could be connected but then again is it just wishful thinking! I had hoped someone might have found something more definite.

It wouldn't be as interesting if it was too easy!