Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:01 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Looking for help finding all and any obituary notices or other mentions of Halstead in the Burnley Express from the early 1900s. Ha! simple, right? The Burnley Express has not been particularly helpful...but perhaps I just got a non-helpful person on a bad day. Any suggestions would be welcome. I live in Canada, so not able to visit to search the micro-fiche, which was what was suggested.
In the same vein, I am looking for death dates for my maternal grandfather, who was estranged from the family. Name of Tom Bailey (registered as Tom not Thomas...found birth and marriage stuff)....cannot find death notices anywhere, or divorce data. Lived in the Fylde when last heard of....birth date is 1891, Clitheroe. Married my grandmother Kathleen Agnes Smith around 1915.....Found his parents: Jane Elizabeth Horsfield and Tom (possibly Thomas) Bailey, and two generations back in their family tree. My grandfather lived in Cleveleys and Fleetwood. ..but could have been anywhere when he died. I believe he married again, but have no information. My mother, bless her wounded heart, never would talk about him.
I would be very appreciative of info or suggestions on where else I can search for this info. I am on ancestor.com, but searches of the data bases keep coming up blank.

Thank you in advance......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:29 pm 
Spider Lady

Didn't realise it was actually the Burnley Express you had contacted Sue. The newspapers are on film at Burnley library but I guess you know that now :shock:
Burnley library have an incomplete index. As suggested to Joda the other day, it might be worth emailing them to see if there is anything in the index. Depending on the year of death, it wasn't always reported in the local paper. Contact details can be found at this link. If it means a blanket search, they may suggest making use of a paid researcher. Although they are helpful, their services are limited. http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries/ ... me=Burnley

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:14 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Thanks....yep, a blanket search is what it is. I am finding dates etc back to 1700s, but dates on their own are a bit boring. would love to find some anecdotes...or at least obits. would there have been other publications in which newsworthy Briercliffians may have been mentioned? Are the archives from Haggate available? Most of my halsteads attended there and were also buried there. I have perused the graveyard photos again. Now I know which of the Halsteads from way back are "mine"...makes it interesting.
Getting nowhere much with 'Findagrave' ...looking for cemeteries for my mother's Fylde coast relatives...must not be as well supported as here in U.S.
Plugging away......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:39 pm 

Hi,

I think Tom Bailey`s death may have been registered as Thomas Bailey in Blackpool in Dec. Quarter 1961 aged 70. Stay with me :) There was no Tom Bailey death recorded in Blackpool for 1961, but there is a probate entry in 1962 for a Tom Bailey 24 Layton Road Blackpool who died 16th December, 1961 at Blackpool Victoria Hospital, administration granted to Marguerita Bailey Widow. Marguerita dies the year after on 3rd November, 1962 according to the probate register, but her entry is more interesting - Marguerita Bailey otherwise Margaret otherwise Daisy. You should be able to find the full details on Ancestry.

Mo

Last edited by mosiefish on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:01 am 
Genealogist in Waiting

Thank you! I did find several Tom Baileys (Tom was actually how he was baptised...but I have looked at Thomas too)...and noted this one as well as a couple of others. He did remarry. Have no idea the name of his 2nd wife. Your Thomas may very well be he....but there isn't enough info for the proof that I have the right guy. So, that is why I am stuck. If I could find a gravestone...or an obit which names his parents I would have him! As you can see...I found his parents and some sibs...but I am stumbling around trying to find definitive records of his death. I did find an obit for someone who may be his mother Jane Elizabeth Bailey (widow)...and the will didn't help at all either.
I appreciate your help though. Lord...this does take a lot of patience, doesn't it??