Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:13 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've just discovered that my gg-grandfather John Hooson is buried at St James, along with both of his wives (records at lan-opc).

When his first wife Mary was buried in 1895, the abode was given as Roggerham Gate Inn.

In the 1891 census, the landlord at the Rog. Gate was a William Greenwood, according to the census records on the Briercliffe Soc. pages. He was born Extwistle.

Coincidentally (or maybe not), Mary's maiden name was Greenwood. She was born in Wadsworth, Yorkshire. She married John at Halifax and lived in Keighley for a while before wandering over to Burnley (Milner Street in 1881).

Mary would have been about 54 in 1901. William the landlord gave his age as 35, so they're about a generation apart.

Does anyone have any information about William Greenwood that might help to connect him to Mary - or disprove the connection?

One more little mystery: as well as John and his two wives, lan-opc has a fourth Hooson burial at St James: Margaret, aged 68, buried in 1914. Her death appears to be registered as Hodson at lancashirebmd and in the GRO index, but they have a commmon source so a single error could explain that either way.

Does anyone have any information about this Margaret? St. James MIs, perhaps? John and his wives are all in grave H31, but Margaret's grave isn't recorded.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated,
Dave

PS: I'd just like to add: I've seen the three very interesting forum posts about John Hooson :-)