Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:04 am 
Spider Lady

Andrews salts - yuk.

I live wagon wheels. Do you get them over there Sue?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:55 pm 
Librarian

I loved Andrews liver salts, it was better than pop to me. We used to have a pop man come round selling Tizer and Ginger beer, the ginger beer was in an earthenware bottle with a stopper, you could use it after as an hotwater bottle. Also Sweeties called Spangles all different colours, you sucked them until they went really thin and you could see through them, spanish torpedos as well, I used to use the red ones as a lipstick, they stained your lips red, very sophisticated. I also remember the hot pieman coming round at wintertime with his big basket full of hot pies and meat torpedos (not the sweetie kind), delicious. Also the icecream man coming round at summer time with his hand cart, he used to ring his handbell and shout Ceces (seesees) ices, there would be kids running from all over with their pennies. :D Stephanie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:15 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Yes...we can get Wagon Wheels in Canada..however, I think either they have shrunk considerably or my hands have grown since my Harle Syke Days! They just are smaller...and I have absolutely lost the 'taste' for them.
Do you still have dolly mixtures and jelly babies? I liked those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:41 pm 
Photographer

Hi Sue
When you mentioned Wagon Wheels I was going to say exactly the same thing in that they have got a lot smaller and the taste is nowhere near as good as they used to be.
Yes,we still have Dolly Mixtures and Jelly Babies.Do you also rememeber cinder toffee and those very small gums that looked like red lips.
And Andrews Liver Salts was great,the fizz used to get up your nose if you drank it quickly :lol:

I also remember a shop on Yorkshire sTreet called Fitzpatricks,it was a sort of herbal drink shop where you could get Sasparilla and Hop Bitters etc.We used to call in on the way home from school. I think that the family still have a similar shop in Rawtenstall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:52 pm 
Librarian

Hi David, Yes there is a Fitzpatricks shop in Rawtenstall, but it is closed at the minute, there is a big renovation job going on, I bet the atmosphere will be spolt when it reopens, it had a lovely old flagged floor, it was like going back in time when you went in for a drink of Sasaparilla. It had to close down for a while a year or so back, something to do with not meeting the regulatory standards set by the EU, bet that is why they are having to do it up, it will be a shame if it is spoilt. "They" cant leave nowt alone.
Stephanie. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:09 pm 
Photographer

An article on Fitzpatricks here Stephanie :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wine/main.jh ... pint22.xml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:36 pm 
Librarian

Just read it David, bet the resident ghost wont be happy with all the goings on, it was a super place, lets hope it still is. :x
Stephanie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:52 pm 
Sage of Simonstone

What about Nurse Harvey's Gripe Water? My mum used to get it for my sister and I used to swig it when no-one was looking. Many years later when I had my firstborn I went to the chemists to buy some, only to find they don't make it any more because it contained alcohol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:53 am 
Genealogist in Waiting

No wonder the babies calmed right down and went to sleep....and there's you, a lush at that young age!! :lol:
(Just kidding)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:50 am 
Computer Whizz

Maureen, I used to do the same, I loved the stuff.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:43 pm 

I'm beginning to realise my age - I remember all the things that have been mentioned.
I went to Barden Junior School. Once a week we went to North Street Baths. I hated it because I was pushed in by the pool attendant. I think he was called Ralph - he'd be up for child abuse now. My mum made me wear a liberty bodice and they were impossible to get back on when you were still damp. I used to hide mine in my bag and try to smuggle it back home. I often used to get caught though.
I'm still not that good at swimming!