Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: old favourites.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:45 pm 
Librarian

Hands up anyone who remembers these:
Cod liver oil and malt (yummy??)
Fennings fever cure (not so yummy)
Liberty bodices (girls only I think)
Kompo (not the chap in Last of the summer wine or compensation)
We are the Ovalatines.
Poultices (agony)
Balaclavas (boys only)
Penny spanish (made lovely spanish juice)
Top and whip.
Mr. Wolf.
Penny tray.
If you dont remember, bet your parents do.
Stephanie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:04 pm 
Photographer

Sadly I remember all those Stephanie apart from Mr Wolf??? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:23 pm 
Librarian

One kiddie stood facing the wall and all your pals were stood further away, and they had to say "What time is it Mr Wolf" the (blind) kiddie would turn round and say 1 o'clock, then face the wall again. Each time your pals moved closer as you went through the routine of saying the time, but they had'nt to be caught moving by Mr Wolf, the first one to tag Mr Wolf then had his/her turn at playing Mr Wolf. You must remember David this is pre playstations and xboxes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stephanie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:27 pm 
Photographer

:( Yes I remember now Stephanie. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:29 pm 
Spider Lady

I remember Mr Wolf.

Dad used to make us have a spoonful of black treacle and a spoon of something else but I can't remember what every day.

I don't remember anything else from your list Stephanie. I must be too young. :D

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:31 pm 
Librarian

Really glad sombody else remembers Kompo, I thought is was lovely, if you had a cough or cold, really comforting, where has it gone :!:
Stephanie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:34 pm 
Librarian

Hiya Mel, Cod liver oil and malt was taken off a spoon, it looked like soft toffee, it was an aquired taste but I loved it. There was also Brimstone and Treacle.
Stephanie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:12 pm 

I remember almost everything on your list, Stephanie, except for Kompo and Penny Tray.

I can add licorice sticks from the herbalist, a bit woody, camphorated oil, Keplar and Roboleine. The last two were revolting sticky substances and we had to take a spoonful after our midday dinner. There was also something called Bemax, which we sprinkled on food.

We played a game called Aunts and Uncles, similar to Mr. Wolf. You took a step forward if the person who was "It" and facing away, called the name of an aunt or uncle you happened to have. It seemed as though every child in that neighbourhood had an Auntie Mary.

Joan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:34 pm 
Librarian

Hi Joan, Dont know what Keplar and Roboleine were but they sound a bit nasty. You had Kompo when you were full of a cold, it was a dark red liquid in a bottle, you put a bit in a mug and topped it up with hot water and sipped it, I thought it had a really nice taste, cant describe it though. The penny tray was when you got any pennies to spend, you took them to the corner shop and pick and you could choose what you wanted from the penny tray, you could end up with loads of stuff for just 1d, Gobstoppers, coltsfoot rock, sherbet dips, flying saucers, spearmint chews, aniseed balls, and many many more things. I still like the woody liquorice sticks, you can by them at the chemist now. :wink:
Stephanie.

Post subject: Recipes and remedies
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:36 pm 

I remember kali and spanish and coltsfoot rock,sasparilla tablets ,pear drops ,Stephanie you were right about the fennings fever cure it was awful makes me shudder just thinking about it and the liberty bodices with rubber buttons and playing Mr Wolf all I can recall was the screeming when you got caught.We also played tin in the ring in some old garages near the Burnley Gen Hospital,and made dens in the tip?and last but not least knock and run.
sues.

Post subject: Happy days.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:03 pm 
Librarian

Eh! Happy days ! Everything has to cost a fortune now and if you cant plug it in anywhere and press buttons- forget it. We never had time to "catch" things like attention deficit disorder, asthma and boredom etc. The only things we used to catch were nits. :lol: :lol: :lol: . Stephanie.
p.s. Sues, they had rubber buttons on the Liberty bodices so that they would not break when they went through the mangle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:06 pm 

I was given Fennings fever cure in an egg cup. Maybe there didn't seem to be as much that way. I sat by the fire trying to get it down, sip by sip, and had to sit there until it was all gone.

Joan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:13 pm 
Computer Whizz

The rubber buttons of the liberty bodices used to get doubled over with repeatedly going through the mangle.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:31 pm 
Photographer

Fennings fever cure was really an aquired taste lol. It is difficult to describe just what it actually did taste like. Was it based on quinine??
I always remember my father saying that during WW2 where he served in Burma he contracted Malaria and that he was given fever cure which was supposed to alleviate an attack. Was never sure whether he told me this so that I would take the fever cure when I had a cold. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:44 pm 
Genealogist in Waiting

Oh, Gawd...I remember everything mentioned!!
My Nana's especial cure-all was Andrews Salts...I used to like that fizzy drink and would feign a headache to get some.
Yes...Kayli was my favourite....WagonWheels and Mars Bars...so much bigger in those days!
I would spend my 3d. on a Mars Bar, a bag of liquorice allsorts and a Dandy or Beano.....Wonder I have a tooth left in my head!