Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: North Lancashire Assizes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:50 am 
Spider Lady

Preston Chronicle
Saturday March 27 1841

North Lancashire Assizes

The bill against William Starkie, 19, committed by Mr. Hargreaves, the coroner, for the manslaughter of Alfred Whalley, at Habergham Eaves, being ignored, he was placed at the bar. The counsel for the prosecution declined to offer any evidence, and the jury, under the Court's direction, discharged the prisoner.

Cutting and Maiming at Barrowford
James Heyworth, 34, was charged with cutting and maiming, with intent to disfigure Isaac Hull, at Barrowford Booth.
The case was opened by Mr. Stansfield
Isaac Hull.- I am 67 years of age; on the 17th Oct. last I was selling a few books - I am a weaver by trade, but was out of work - I was at the Cross Gates on that day, and had a pint of ale and a pennyworth of tobacco. I did not drinl the whole of the ale, owig to my having had two or three small glasses of gin. When I went in James Heyworth was there; I sat close to the fire in the same room, but was not of the same party. I stopped there till seven or eight o'clock. When I got up to go Heyworth said "you might as well stay till we have drunk our gin, and we will go to Colne together." I stopped, and he said he would put me into the canal before we got to Colne. Colne is about a mile and three quarters from the Cross Gates. We went out together, and the landlord said I need not mind what he had said about the canal. We went on together for about 600 yards from the public house. I thought him rather fresh, and felt disposed to lag behind. He said, "what's to do you are not coming forward?" I said I am rather short sighted, and he said "he woudl mend my sight." He came back, as I thought to take hold of my hand, but he then struck me on the nose, which was soon filled with blood. I then called out murder, and made towards a light in some cottages. He said "I will take you off that." I never recollected what happened after that till the morning after.
Cross-examined by Mr Wilkins - I am a native of Ireland, and have been in England about twenty years. I have lived in Cumberland, and have worked in several places. I wove for a living. I worked at Leeds last as a weaver; it is bteer than twelve months ago. I worked for Mr. Benyon, at Leeds. I left Leeds about five months ago, and from the time I left Mr. Benyon I worked as a labourer. I have been selling books. I never went up and down the country begging. If any person did not buy a book I did not beg. I came to Keighley from Halifax to get some tracts. I could have got tracts in Halifax, but I could get them cheaper at Keighley. I came to Colne to get a few more. I had been walking out as far as Barnoldswick selling books. I did not call at many houses in Barnoldswick. I called at a public house and got a pint of ale at dinner time. Barnoldswick is five or six miles from Cross Gates. I came across a moor. This is the first time I ever was before a judge. I was a soldier about eight or nine years, and am a protestant. The morning after I was hurt I found myself at the Cross Gates, where I remained for some time. I was then taken to the workhouse. I was not sent out of the workhouse for bad behaviour. I went into the women's room in the workhouse, which I was told was contrary to their regulations. I have not been drunk several times within the last fortnight.
Several witnesses having been called to corroborate the above facts.
Thomas Cockroft was examined.-He said he was sent for to Cross Gates on the evening of the 27th October last. Found there Isaac Hull laid upon a bed; he seemed very weak and languid, and his extremities were very cold. There were several wounds on his face and head; so much so, that the skull was exposed in several parts; there was a serious wound on the right ear, and his left arm was fractured in two places. The bone of the fore arm was broken in two places betwixt the elbow and the wrist; he complained of his ribs on the left side; he was able to speak to me; he did not appear very collected, but was able to reply to my inquiries. He appeared for a day or two to be improving, but inflammation took place from the wound in his ear. The injury inflicted upon this part, and the inflammation which ensued, were, in my opinion, sufficient to produce the deafness he complained of. I certainly considered his life to be in great danger. I examined the prisoner Heyworth in about a week after I was called in to see Isaac Hull; he had no bruises or wounds upon him.
Cross-examined by Mr. Wilkins.- Did object to one medical manseeing Isaac Hull, (a Mr. Ayre, of Colne,) but that was owing to some ungentlemanly and unprofessional behaviour I had experienced from that person. I employ some workmen in manufacturing cotton and worsted goods, and have sometimes attended Manchester market myself.
Mr. Wilkins addressed the jury for the prisoner, he was acquitted on the grounds of insanity; and was ordered to remain in custody during her Majesty's pleasure.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!