Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pictures
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:19 pm 
Spider Lady

I was flicking through a magazine earlier and noticed a picture of a convict.
I wonder if, in all the court cases/quarter session reports that I have read over recent months, there are pictures of any of the convicts in existence? And if there are any images of any of the Lancs convicts, where are they kept and can the general public access them?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

Post subject: Re: Pictures
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:59 pm 
Computer Whizz

Wouldn't that come under a privacy control? I'd be surprised if there was access to photos.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:15 am 
Spider Lady

Even if they are over 100 years old?

I think Kris has a convict picture?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:30 am 
Computer Whizz

Mmm maybe.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:14 am 
Spider Lady

I think it was a Catlow?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:47 pm 
Willfinder General

Yes, I have a convict photo (or hospital photo) of Samuel Catlow (1860-1921), who was convicted of attempted murder, 1897.

Sam died at Prestwich Hospital (The Annexe Lunatic Asylum), so his details could be found at the Greater Manchester County Record Office. http://www.gmcro.co.uk/

As well as the photo, this is what I received:

Samuel Catlow, Patient no. 14987, date of admission, 30th December 1918, 58yrs, married, Church of England, Union; Burnley, weaver, place of abode before care; 20 Lomas street, Burnley. Appearance: a well nourished man, bald, and brownish – grey moustache.

More info about Sam:

1891 Census - RG12 / 3369 folio 65 pg. 56
65 Clarke Street, Habergham Eaves, Burnley
Samuel CATLOW, Head, Married, 30years, Cotton Weaver, b. Lancashire, Burnley
Sophia A. CATLOW, Wife, Married, 30years, ? Winder, b. London
Fred CATLOW, Son, 6years, b. Lancs, Burnley
James CATLOW, Son, 4years, b. Lancs, Burnley
Frank CATLOW, Son, 2years, b. Lancs, Burnley
Willie CATLOW, Son, 1 month, b. Lancs, Burnley

1901 Census - RG13/1997 folio 105 pg. 15
Verne Citadel, Weymouth, Portland, Dorset
List of all Persons who slept or abode in this institution on the night of Sunday, March 31st, 1901
Samuel CATLOW, Convict, Married, 40years, Weaver Cotton, Worker, b. Burnley, Lancs

Burnley Express 3rd July 1897
CHARGE OF ATTEMPTED MURDER AGAINST A BURNLEY MAN.
WANTED TO LIVE UNTIL MORNING. A SENSATIONAL INCIDENT. THE ACCUSED BEFORE THE MAGISTRTES.
A sensational affair in which the parties concerned were man and his wife occurred on Wednesday night in the Wet end of Burnley, when a weaver named Samuel Catlow is alleged to have attempted to take the life of his wife. The victim, Sophia Catlow, summoned her husband some time ago on account of his having assaulted her. Catlow was then fined 20s. and costs, and a separation order, with 8s. a week for the maintenance of his wife, was made against him. Since that time Mrs. Catlow has lived with her sister at 24, Allerton-street Whittlefield, whilst the prisoner on the other hand has resided with his mother in Back Lane.
It is stated that on Thursday, just before midnight, Catlow went to the house where his wife was staying, broke one of the kitchen windows, and obtained an entrance into the house. The inmates-prisoner's wife and her sister - heard a noise, and being somewhat alarmed they both got out of bed. Edith Rose Aunger, sister of Mrs. Catlow, shouted out, "Hallo, hallo", but no one replied. In the meantime prisoner had ascended the stairs, and on going there both sisters were met by him. Prisoner then brandished a razor in the air. When Mrs. Catlow saw the implement she said, "Oh, Sam, do not kill me tonight. Let me live till morning." She endeavoured to ward off the blow, and in doing so had her hand severely cut. Notwithstanding her excitement Mrs. Catlow had the presence of mind to realise her dangerous position, and succeeded in getting out of her husband's clutches, and rushed into the neighbouring house. An alarm was then raised, and a medical man was summoned to attend to Mrs. Catlow's injury.
Catlow afterwards went to the police station, and gave himself up.
PRISONER BEFORE THE MAGISTRATES,
On Thursday morning, at the Burnley Borough Police ourt, before R.J. Hurtley, J. Hargreaves and J. Berry, Esqrs., the prisoner appeared in the dock to answer a charge of wounding his wife, Sophia Catlow, 24 Allerton-street, with intent to murder her.
The Chief Constable (Mr. Harrop) in opening the case said the wife of the prisoner was unable to attend court, and he would ask for the case to be adjourned. He would, however, call one witness.
Edith Rose Eunger stated that the prisoner's wife was her sister, and lived with her. Both went to bed about 11-30 the previous night, at which time the windows and doors were securely fastened. Shortly afterwards they heard a creaking of the windows and both got out of bed. Witness called out, "Hallo, hallo", but there was no answer. They went to the stairs-top, where her sister was seized by prisoner, who held a razor in his hand. Prisoner's wife said, "Oh, Sam, do not kill me to-night, let me live till to-morrow." Prisoner replied, "I will finish you," and got hold of her and attempted to cut her throat. Witness made an attempt to stop the prisoner from committing the deed, and one of her fingers was cut in consequence.
The case was adjourned for a week.

Burnley Express (date unknown)
THE MURDEROUS ASSAULT ON A WIFE AT BURNLEY.
Samuel Catlow, aged thirty-six, a Burnley weaver, who pleaded guilty on Tuesday to wounding his wife, Sophia Catlow, with intent to murder her, at Burnley on June 30, was brought up for sentence. His Lordship said prisoner had pleaded guilty to a most savage and unprovoked attack upon the woman, whom above all others he was bound to cherish-his wife. She had been separated from him on account of his cruelty, and he entered the house where she was living apart obviously with the intention of murdering her. He endeavoured to get quietly into her house while she was asleep, and he inflicted injuries which, had she not protected her throat with her hands, would have proved fatal. But for medical assistance probably her injuries would have been fatal. Prisoner did what he could to kill the poor woman, and his crime was a very serious one, and one that must be punished very severely. The sentence of the court was that prisoner be kept in hard labour for a period of twenty years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:22 am 

Edith Rose Aunger (nee Ford) Samuel Catlow’s sister-in-law was my gt.gt. Aunty. Edith’s husband Richard was the brother of Sampson Henry Aunger who was first my gt.gt. Uncle then became my gt.gt. Step grandfather when my grandad remarried after my grandma died to my grandma’s cousin.
Hope that makes some sort of sense, it's taken me a long time to work it out!! Would love to see a copy of the photo if thats possible.
Turns out also that my gt.granmother (real not step) was living on Allerton Street when the incident happened she was 17 at time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:17 pm 
Willfinder General

Patricia, how interesting, and what a coincidence!

Samuel Catlow (1860-1921) is the older Brother of my 2x Gt. Granddad, James Catlow (1864-1925).

I am sending you an email…..let me know if you do not receive it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:54 pm 

Hi Lever, Got your email, thankyou.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:16 pm 
Willfinder General

The Liverpool Daily Post, Friday, July 9, 1897.
DESPERATE ATTEMPT AT WIFE MURDER.
COMMITAL TO LIVERPOOL ASSIZES.
At Burnley, yesterday, Samuel Catlow, weaver, was charged with the attempted murder of Sophia Catlow, on the 30th of June. Prosecutris, who had obtained a separation order against her husband, lived with her sister at 23, Allerton-street. At ten o’clock they went to bed on the night named, and at eleven they heard a crash of glass, and when they went to the top of the stairs they found prisoner with a razor. He rushed at Mrs. Catlow, who cried out, “Don’t kill me to-night, Sam; let me live until to-morrow.” He replied. “I’ll cut your throat.” A desperate struggle ensued between prisoner and the two women, both of whom were wounded, Mrs. Catlow very seriously. They eventually escaped, Mrs. Catlow going into a neighbour’s house, where she fainted. She lost a large quantity of blood from the wound in her hand, and Dr. Harwood said she would have died had he not arrived. Prisoner was committed for trial at the Liverpool Assize.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/vie ... 4000&zp=75

The Liverpool Daily Post, Friday, July 9, 1897.
A weaver named Samuel Catlow was yesterday committed by the Burnley magistrates to the Liverpool Assizes on a charge of attempting to murder his wife.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/vie ... atlow&st=g

The Liverpool Daily Post, Thursday, July 29, 1897.
LIVERPOOL ASSIZES.
THE MURDEROUS ASSAULT ON A WIFE AT BURNLEY.
Samuel Catlow, aged thirty-six, a Burnley weaver, who pleaded guilty on Tuesday to wounding his wife, Sophia Catlow, with intent to murder her, at Burnley on June 30, was brought up for sentence. His Lordship said prisoner had pleaded guilty to a most savage and unprovoked attack upon the woman, whom shove all others he was bound to cherish - his wife. She had been separated from him on account of his cruelty, and he entered the house where she was living apart obviously with the intention of murdering her. He endeavoured to get quietly into her house while she was asleep, and he inflicted injuries which, had she not protected her throat with her hands, would have proved fatal. But for medical assistance probably her injuries would have been fatal. Prisoner did what he could to kill the poor woman, and his crime was a very serious one, and one that must be punished very severely. The sentence of the court was that prisoner be kept in hard labour for a period of twenty years

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/vie ... atlow&st=g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:08 pm 

hello does anyone still have the prison photo of samuel catlow 1860 - 1921 ?
this was my great grandad and have been searching for it, can anyone help.
many thanks kevin catlow.

my email address is kevin.catlow@ntlworld.com