Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Extwistle Hall
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 am 

:D I am a brand new user recently retired ( early - the usual stuff) and need some "projects" to keep me busy . My intersts are old buildings - and saving them from ruin i suppose - since it seems we live in an area thats lost some very interesting architecture .
I have joined my local history society ( Colne) - a good start - then found this site - better ! I discovered Extwistle Hall and can't beleive its ruinous state - is it not listed ????Also Alkincoats Hall and the diaries of the famous Elizabeth Shackleton interest me hugely - can anyone tell me of any socoieties or groups I might join to help m eprogress / share these intersts with like minded people
I can draw ( old fashioned , not computer ) , write and walk , so am lucky i can get out and about to photogrpah and record whats left , as for accessing old records - well research is where i would definitely need some guidance

so theer you are any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated - also is ther at some point a "social " gathering of this virtual group in the flesh as it were?

Last edited by margaret1 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Extwiatle hall
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:49 pm 
Spider Lady

Hi Margaret

welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have lots to keep you busy already!

OK, the Society meets at Briercliffe Community Centre, Jubilee Street, Harle Syke at 7-30pm on the second Monday of the month.
The local history branch of the Society meets on the last Wednesday of every month from September to May (excluding December) at the school building in Haggate. The next scheduled History Group meeting is the 26th September. Membership of the Society is currently £5 per year and then there is a fee at the meetings, usually £1.
There is also the Briercliffe Art Group, I think they meet on a Tuesday afternoon at the Community Centre. This you would need to confirm.
We have an Events Calendar on the main site http://briercliffesociety.co.uk/Events%20Calendar.htm We try to keep this up to date but it's not always possible. The next meeting at Jubilee Street will be Monday the 10th. You could either go along to the meeting (everyone is welcome) and make your enquiries about membership on the night or I can give you the address of who to write to. I have received your email about membership, so I'll send you the membership address via email later.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!