Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:01 pm 
Computer Whizz

Not sure just where to put this, BUT, over the last 2days we have been to Downham Hall and Lancaster Castle.
Downham Hall is not very big by hall standards. The main part of the front of the hall was rebuilt in the early 1800's. There was a roman rd which ran right in front of the house, but which is now lawn. A centurions bones were found there in the past. I went with the Ribble Valley branch of the LFHHS and the tour was led by Lord and Lady Clitheroe. If anyone gets the chance to do this it is well worth going on.

Lancaster Castle, I was hoping to see the dungeons where the witches were held, but that part is under the prison so that was the end of that. we did see the later dungeons which were supposed to be a vast improvement----I can only say I was glad not to have been in those in the years gone by. We went into the court which is now in use, and I have to say that between Lord Clitheroe and the tour guide for Lancaster Castle, I learnt more than I ever have on coats of arms. The back wall of the court was covered in them, with quite a few I recognised ie Robert Parker of Extwistle who held the office in 1710, John Parker in 1653. I could have spent all the tour looking at those. We saw the old court and the place where they kept lunatics, the chairs they were strapped to (I had to sit in one of those) and various chains, scolding masks and whips.

All in all, both are worth going to see---but go when the court isn't sitting or you won't see all the shields.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:09 pm 
Spider Lady

They let you get out of the chair then. I am amazed :twisted:

Sounds like you had a great time. Maybe I can talk imindoors into it?

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:05 pm 
Computer Whizz

There are two of these chairs, both with a commode underneath???? (don't say a word) high sides, fittings for straps. They were strapped in for days to stop them banging their heads on the walls.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:09 pm 
Spider Lady

Utterley amazed. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:43 am 
Computer Whizz

Forgot to mention, at Downham Hall we went into the library----absolute heaven----practically all the books you can ever want on Lancashire families and their history. I noticed Whitakers History of Whalley for one. I asked Lord Clitheroe if he wanted to adopt me :roll: I could have lived in that room. Every wall, floor to ceiling---books. The top row was all scriptures because that was all they had in the very olden days.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:16 am 
Spider Lady

Wow!

Did he want to adopt? You should inform him that I am your younger twin and that we have to go together :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:48 am 
Computer Whizz

Ha ha, I said to him on the way out "you aren't going to adopt me, are you?" he said "I would have to find you under a table or something", I said "that could be arranged". Dead nice bloke, I'm sure he would have loved to adopt me and my twin sister (who has aged much better than me), as we would be no trouble, we would even do it short term and just spend our time in the library. :lol: All good fun.