Welcome to The Briercliffe Society Forum

The forum is free to join and you do not need to be a member of the society. You will receive an email to activate your account before you will be able to log in. Please check spam filters and junk mail folders for this email.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:11 am 

Does anyone have any pictures, or memories of, Waterside Cottages, Quaker Bridge ? My girlfriend is researching her family history, and she lived here prior to their demolition in 1972. They were just past Hill St, and a very nice bungalow (called 'Waterside') now stands on the site. Any pics / info very welcome. Many thanx, Nigel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:34 am 
Spider Lady

Welcome to the site TimeLord.

I'll ask Roger if he has any photos or info if no one on the forum has any.

Searching for lost relatives? Win the Lottery!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:48 am 
Computer Whizz

There is quite a bit about Quaker Bridge on http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk I think it is on the Nutter thread.

I'd be dangerous with a brain.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:23 pm 

Thank you for the welcome, Mel, not having much luck with the pics, so any help appreciated. There must be at least one pic somewhere....... :D
Gloria, thanks for the link, there is quite a bit on the OGFB site, it even mentions Waterside, though not the cottages. All tantalisingly close........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:26 am 
Spider Lady

Is this the area TimeLord? http://lanternimages.lancashire.gov.uk/ ... fQ==&pg=16

Also an image of the same place I think on this page http://www.fireflash-delta64.co.uk/nelsonarch.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:06 am 

Hi, Mel,
Absolutely spot on with the area. In fact, the first pic almost does it. The row of cottages behind the men looks like Hill St, so if the photographer had turned a few degrees to his right.......... See attached map. So near.......... :cry: The other pic is also close, seems like they tried to avoid taking the pic I want..... :D Might have a drive over to Nelson Library, see if they have more. In the meantime, thank you so much for the help.

Attachments:
File comment: Quaker Bridge Map
marioexternal_MAPSRV426926602160a.jpg
marioexternal_MAPSRV426926602160a.jpg [ 76.66 KiB | Viewed 19312 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:46 am 
Spider Lady

According to this, it was known as Chamber Bridge
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report ... mpid=53158

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:41 am 
Spider Lady

Stephanie has submitted a picture of Pendle Bridge. http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk/Pho ... Bridge.htm

Quite similar to the Quaker Bridge, I guess it is just a bit further along the river?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:58 am 
Computer Whizz

Quaker Bridge is at the bottom of Brierfield, Pendle Bridge at the bottom of Barden Lane. The two used to be connected by a track which ran alongside the river past the Jewel Mill, to hazzard a guess I would say they are about three quarters of a mile apart.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:55 am 

Pendle Bridge was often known as 'New Bridge in Pendle'.

Pendle Water here at times was actually called 'River Calder', that is, one of two branches ! In my area (now !), Cambridgeshire, there are two rivers south and west of Cambridge known as the Cam, that come together near Grantchester, then flow through the city with its punts. They do have alternative names however ('Granta' and 'Rhee').

To come back to Barden Lane and Holme End, etc., I remember well Jack Moore's monkey, poor thing (probably one of a long line). On Good Friday Barden Lane lower down was bedecked with stalls selling little windmills, brandy snaps, etc. I think the tradition died out in the fifties. Happy Days !

Rex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:55 am 

Pendle Bridge was often known as 'New Bridge in Pendle'.

Pendle Water here at times was actually called 'River Calder', that is, one of two branches ! In my area (now !), Cambridgeshire, there are two rivers south and west of Cambridge known as the Cam, that come together near Grantchester, then flow through the city with its punts. They do have alternative names however ('Granta' and 'Rhee').

To come back to Barden Lane and Holme End, etc., I remember well Jack Moore's monkey, poor thing (probably one of a long line). On Good Friday Barden Lane lower down was bedecked with stalls selling little windmills, brandy snaps, etc. I think the tradition died out in the fifties. Happy Days !

Rex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:57 am 

Sorry, I'm not sure that two posts are better than one, except in a football goalmouth !

Rex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:20 am 
Computer Whizz

I remember the monkey, always felt a bit sorry for it, even as a child.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:29 pm 
Librarian

I remember the monkey it was a bad tempered little begger, still who could blame it loads of folk gawking at it. I remember all the stalls down both sides of Barden Lane, it used to be heaving at Easter time, there was also a little cafe selling pop and crisps and pots of tea, I can still remember that little cafe, it had an uneven flagged floor and a counter on the left hand side as you went in where you made your purchases, I remember it being fairly dark inside too, the doorway was quite low too as I recall, also they had boat swings which me Mum took me on, with ropes hanging down for you to peg up with, she used to peg us up really high, she used to make me squeal with delight, and a little fear. Your right Rex, they were halcyon days. I think the Jack Moore thing fizzled out in the 60's because I went in the 50's. :)

Stephanie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:49 pm 
Computer Whizz

I remember those boat swings. It would be about the middle 50's when we went down, think it finished not long after that. Wonder why?? and I wonder what happened to the guy who ran it (Jack Moore?) and the monkey. I don't remember the cafe. If I remember rightly the festivity was on the river side of the track and seperate from Holme End Farm.